This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

? about PTO hydraulic pump.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestgnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? about PTO hydraulic pump.
    Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 2:46pm
Hi all. New guy here. I have an HD-11 that has a large PTO pump, and I was wondering why you would mount a pump at the rear instead of just running lines from the main pump. My first thought was to get more flow, but I wouldn't expect that you would operate the blade out front and a towed implement at the same time. This was a farm machine. I'm thinking about pulling the PTO pump since I want to mount rippers on the rear and the pump and tank are so large it's tight on space.
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 4:33pm
Are you sure there is another hydraulic system on this tractor?In the good old days just about all hydraulic pumps were on the front of the crank shaft or the rear PTO shaft.The reason the rear pump was so common was the simplicity of the system, no lines to leak and be in the way,and they were cheap.Especially on farm tractors,most construction equipment used the front pump.Reading your post a second time do you have a blade with front pump?If you do I am sure it will power you ripper,but you will need control valve with more than one circuit,which it probably doesn't have now. Hydraulics that seem so simple can get complex in hurry,so good luck.

Forestgnome View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestgnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:23pm
Yes, I have a blade on the front powered by the front pump. The one on the rear was a seperate pump for farm implements.
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 11:49am
The early ag tractors used the BG hydraulic pump system as there was not a crankshaft driven pump in front.  CAT, Allis Chalmers, IH all used the BG system. It was self contained as the reservoir, valves, pump and control levers were all part of the unit.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestgnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Ages Cat Ages Cat wrote:

The early ag tractors used the BG hydraulic pump system as there was not a crankshaft driven pump in front.  CAT, Allis Chalmers, IH all used the BG system. It was self contained as the reservoir, valves, pump and control levers were all part of the unit.
That sounds like my setup, except that I also have the crank pump. What is "BG"? Is that a brand? I've tried finding a similar pump setup online just to compare, but havn't found anything. This is mine:
Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 5:00pm
BG is the brand name. I seem to remember that they were sold to someone, Oliver maybe?
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 10:13am
Forest, can you post some pictures of your blade with the front hydraulic system? Is it original AC or after market?
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestgnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 8:48am
Originally posted by AC Mel AC Mel wrote:

Forest, can you post some pictures of your blade with the front hydraulic system? Is it original AC or after market?
Hi Mel, I believe it is a factory install on the blade. Everything is by the book. I have the original manuals for this. One pic shows why I believe it's an "S" model. Please excuse the chopped up radiator grill. Apparently the previous owner didn't know these were designed to come apart for repairs. that's one thing I'ld like to correct someday.

Edited by Forestgnome - 23 Feb 2011 at 8:50am
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 10:44am
Forest, NICE SPECIMEN!. It's a 1956 year model if you didn't know. In later years  S models were typically farm tractors with the hydraulic Begee unit on the back like yours and with out the hydraulic hardnose and pump in the front. It's all original AC parts though. It may or may not have been installed when it was new,but it was all interchangeable at any time (we've done it). As Ray stated the front mounted hydraulics would run the rippers normally.  There was a diverter valve that was in the line to allow you to run the blade,tilt cylinder or rippers, depending on what your options were. I could post some pictures to show you some of the options on the 11s that we have, but I would need to see a picture of the front of your tractor to see if the oil tank and valve are mounted  in front of the radiator or up on the right side of the tractor where you can't get into the operators station. That was done for only the first year or two before mounting it all in the front. While your at it you might as well post some engine pictures so we can see if it's still a Lanova style engine or was updated to direct injection. If your brain dosen't get overloaded after all of that and you want more we'll move on to pinion cap issues to look for. Nice specimen!!!  Mel
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestgnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 11:40am
Unfortunately I'm not in the same place as "Big Mama", so pics of the front pump will be a while. I can tell you that the blade control is at my right hand, and it's connected to a stack of valves on the right side. I don't remeber off-hand where the tank is, but I'm thinking it's also on the right side near the rear of the engine. Yes, the engine is the Lenova type, the old Buda 516. Tell me about the pinion cap issues. I seem to remember mention of that in regards to HD's that see quarry work.
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 11:14am
Forest, here is a picture of a early AC system with a diverter valve mounted on the side of the hydraulic tank next to the main valve.They only used this system for the first couple of years before they put the valve and tank in the front of the radiator but still had a remotely operated diverter. Without seeing it I assume your tank and valve look similar, but with no divereter valve. The HD9s and early HD11s used 1/2'' NF bolts on the intermediate pinon caps. On construction  and logging tractors they would work loose causing all kinds of problems needless to say. It wasn't near the problem on farm tractors. They were later up graded to 5/8''NF which solved the problem. I think your tractor should be the vintage that has the 1/2'' bolts and should be monitored often.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forestgnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 11:55am
That looks like my setup. Looks like it would be pretty convenient for me to add a diverter valve the way your pics show. It's nice to see the stock ripper setup. Thanks for the pics. And thanks for the tip on the pinion caps. I'll have to look at those.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic