This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Widening of Rims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Widening of Rims
    Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 11:07am
Hi all.  Going to be putting 18.4 x 38's on my 7000lb 180 Mod Farm tractor.  Should I just get a set of 18" rims, or should I be widening a pair out to say 20" or more?  Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 12:29pm
This is one of those questions that if you ask 5 different people, you'll get 10 or more opinions.
 I have been pulling for more than 50 years now and only in a few instances with a certain tread design will a rim wider than the tire show any benefit. Most often a higher PSI will be needed to keep the tread flat to the ground at the end of a pull. With wider rims the tread will rise in the center much easier than a rim the same or slightly narrower than the tire. 
  I know someone that just spent big money for super light 20" wide rims for his 18.4X38 tires, first off they were an absolute pain to get mounted tubeless. And to keep the tread flat they need almost twice the air pressure that worked well when the same tires were on 16" rims, thus no sidewall flex at all. Now he's regretting not going with my recommendation of 18" wide rims.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic