This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

226 valve springs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 226 valve springs
    Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:27pm
so on the budgit build engine i will have to have a cylinder head done so i found an old post about using big block chevy valves 192 intake 160 exausht  ,  this is with the 175 cam grind , what valve springs are needed and what spring preasure ,?   will i ba able to use the stock rockers ? 
Sponsored Links

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:32pm
also will the stock push rods work 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 9:01pm
What RPM max ???
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 9:27pm
e gleaner or 175 stuff for right now.  i might have a useable  series 1 d17 engine to use  other wise it will be a 201 block with 45 crank   still waiting on alot of snow to melt so ican get to all this stuff
dgerth View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 9:29pm
on my WD @ 13.7:1 and 2100 to 2300 rpm stock everything runs like a champ and usually spins out very rare for a power out.
My CA 14:1 same rpm range stock springs and pinto valves, forget measures, not much different tho than stock. Runs wonderful !!
Hope this helps, both cams are stock grinds. Happy Happy Happy !!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 9:30pm
i thought i would get a head to the machine shop as soon as possible as they are about 2 months behind
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 3:26pm
Stock springs new are 37 to 43 lbs at 1.812" compressed height. I assume this is close to assembled height with new parts. Compressed down to 1.438" the pressure is 65 to 75 lbs.  I ran stiffer springs years ago when I ran open RPM's (probably 3500) and kept hammering the cam drive gear off of the camshaft. I settled in on some springs from a 2.2L Chrysler engine of some sort and I think my seat pressure is in that 40 to 45 lb range. Remember the camshaft is HOLLOW and really high spring rates are not needed anyway with RPM's under 2500.  I use stock rocker arms and push rods.

Edited by DrAllis - 31 Mar 2023 at 3:33pm
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 9:57pm
is the head part of the lube system the same with the d17 head as the wd short head ?  and do both heads the short or tall have the same amount of meat to port and polish ? 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 7:31am
Oiling is an external line from the oil filter base. Same on all heads and engines. As far as port/polish, I shorten the intake guides on the bottom and reshape a little bit around the valve guide area. With big valves the head will require more blending up smooth to the new seat area. Never messed with an old head. Always used a tall head because the spark plug is more centered.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic