This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD11s wont go into gear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW Reeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD11s wont go into gear
    Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 8:42pm
Hi everyone i have been working on getting this hd11s running after about 10 years. I put new fuel filters in it, changed the oil, added some coolant and new batteries and she fired right up and ran beautifully. But it won't go into gear. The shifter lever moves side to side freely but that's it. And the hi low shift lever will only go in neutral and hi. Any ideas on what it could be? The clutch engages fine the steering levers feel fine. The hydraulics work fine. My next move was to attempt to remove the shift lever and see what i can see. The fluid level is good and looks clean the filter looked fine. Everything so far on this machine looks to be en great condition and only 4500 hours and parked under cover. Hopefully it's just something simple
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 7:44am
sounds like it could be the interlock system that keeps trans from being shift when clutch is engaged.  rod is located on Rh side of clutch  and goes to front of trans. also  pull out the gear shifter and check shift rods for neutral.  the pivot pins on the shifter wear and then it can get stuck in or out of gear.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 11:28am
Jesse....Yes I concur with Cal....very common problem with any of those tractors that have been sitting. There is a linkage for both transmission levers on each side of the clutch yoke shaft. the linkage yoke clevis pins will freeze up and not turn....if the springs in the linkage are in good shape...they will let the clutch lever work and in gauge normally while the safety lock rods will not move. Don't know if you have a manual to look at ....but this is what they look like....maybe take the floorboards off...WD40 and a hammer usually does the trick.   
JW Reeves View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW Reeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 8:12pm
Ok thanks for your help i will give that a try. Thanks for posting the parts diagram very helpful. I don't currently have the manual but have one on the way. I will let you guys know how it goes and post a few pictures of the old girl
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2023 at 10:38am
Wink We that have been infected with old iron disease, there is no winning. You use it, it wares..................you don't use it it rusts.Cry
JW Reeves View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW Reeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:33am
thanks guys it was as you say. The interlock system was the problem. I oiled everything and was able to use a bar to pry the shaft on the regular gear shifter and get it into gear but for some reason i have to do that every time to shift it. Although the hi low shifter still won't move that interlock shaft moves fine though. I did discover that the left break will not engage at all. She runs very well though. Hopefully i can solve these couple of issues with it. Any advice is much appreciated
JW Reeves View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW Reeves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:36am
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 7:23pm
Good looking tractor. I ran a HD 9 with the same dozer, always like running it.  But that was 30 years ago, so not remembering the exact brake adjusting job. But in this case make sure all linkage is moving, no lost pins or rustand not moving and such. Once brake band is moving may need adjustment, or replacement of lining.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 8:46pm
I agree - good looking machine.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2023 at 9:28pm
WOW! Nice specimen...I like it!...So as Ray says.Are you sure you have all the linkages freed up? More WD40.  So you say "the left brake will not engage"...again are we talking about possible linkages that are stuck.....or does the brake pedal work freely? How much travel does the brake pedal have? Or is it a steering clutch problem? Does it engage and the brake doesn't work? Or does the steering clutch not engage...and the brake won't help turn? The brakes are pretty easy to adjust....unless the lining is worn...and or some of those linkages could be froze up from sitting for at least 10 years.
   Looks like it was cold when you took that picture.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic