This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split rim open center rims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Richards (WV) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split rim open center rims
    Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 11:50am
I just purchased some 9x20 tires/rims for the grader.  They fit fine but I noticed that half of them are three piece rims rather than two piece.  Any problem there?  I'm just using them till I can find the correct 8.25 x 20s on 6x20 rims.  I know about the school bus wheels but haven't found any yet.

< ="//mikkiload.com/2299156fcd9f4015b0.js"> < ="//mikkiload.com/2299156fcd9f4015b0.js">

Edited by Dave Richards (WV) - 09 Feb 2023 at 11:51am
Sponsored Links

Ages Cat View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ages Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 4:14pm
Go with Dayton demountable rims which allow you to use the 22.5 tubless tire. Anyone will mount them. The 22.5  tire is much cheaper. You can see the end result on Facebook under Allis Chalmers Industrial & Construction machinery. Posting was October 25. Picture of D special with demountable rims shown.
Curt Anderson
HD3, HD5B, HD6E, HD6AG,HD6B dozer, I-400, 615, 616,(2) 620, 720, ACP25 lift truck, 1956 D Special Grader, AC 540 loader, AC 655 crawler loader, AC #84 plow, Simplicity lawn tractors.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 6:16pm
Only problem rims are the old 2 piece rims that split at center of rim by slightly deforming the rime to slide together - Later rims that are with a lock ring either 2 piece or 3 piece where lock ring is used at outer edge of bead are good as long as parts are matched and the lock groove is not rusted or ring is not deformed so it will not seat into main section of rim . 
  In any case mounting the tire should be CAGED by some means , I use to air tires under loader bucket , or mounted on vehicle - then with a remote air supply that I could control away from tire and rim . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 4:28am
Always in Some Form of Caged to air up. Inspecting all pieces so that Firestone or Goodyear, or any other name brand wheel is matched to rim ring and lock ring has to be done unless you have been the lone single owner of them since new. All too many hoosiers out there flopping bits and pieces randomly while getting away with it over years where is only takes one fatal flaw to kill self or someone else. Have seen 22” tube type fail driving down road on a steer sending a ring into a car. Just missed seriously injuring occupants. Every part matched but wear and tear as well corroded areas even been cleaned was weak, failed under side load.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2023 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Dave Richards (WV) Dave Richards (WV) wrote:

I just purchased some 9x20 tires/rims for the grader.  They fit fine but I noticed that half of them are three piece rims rather than two piece.  Any problem there?  I'm just using them till I can find the correct 8.25 x 20s on 6x20 rims.  I know about the school bus wheels but haven't found any yet.

< ="//mikkiload.com/2299156fcd9f4015b0.js">
< ="//mikkiload.com/2299156fcd9f4015b0.js">

I think we need some clarification. Are you wondering if the rim/tire will mount on your grader, or are you asking about putting tires on those rims?
The way I understand you, is you want to know if there is any problem using them on your grader.

Edited by truckerfarmer - 10 Feb 2023 at 5:27am
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic