This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

7060 fuel tank cleaning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7060 fuel tank cleaning
    Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:49am
Hi a’ll
My brother got this 7060 about 3 or 4 years ago and we’ve put around 350 hours on it for the story of it.
So before he got it it was setting in a machine shop for 12/15 years with a half tank of biodiesel and now after 350 hours the tanks have crap in them that is now starting to come loose and we’ve plugged about 3 fuel filters in the last 3 hours of running so we’ve contacted people with the boilers but as soon as they hear how big it is they tell us “no, it’s too big for us.” So now we’re lost on how to clean it out.
We use the tractor to plant beans so we don’t have the most of time left being almost February.
Thanks!!!
1955 AC WD45 diesel with D262 repower, 1949 AC WD45
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 1:49pm
Power wash it out several times dumping it out thru the fill neck.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:07pm
E85 can be used to flush it out too. Just flush the E85 out with diesel before putting the diesel to run it on in the tank. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 3:33pm
If we power washed it, how would we get behind the baffle?
Just thought I’d ask, not to be rude…
After doing some research
I’ve heard that biodiesel can get algae?
Would the e85 kill the algae if that’s what it is?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 3:41pm
If hot soapy power washer doesn't get it good enough, you could hire someone to cut a big hole in the tank (maybe on top), power wash it out then and reweld the hole shut. or look for a different tank. You can power wash thru the lower outlet hole and the fuel sender hole too.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 3:51pm
I had thoughts about cutting a hole in it but we don’t have a hot water washer to power wash it out…
We have a 3100psi cold water pressure washer but that wouldn’t be the same I don’t think…
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 3:55pm
E85 will eat all the algae, and leave the metal clean as new. It really is amazing how well it works. Straight alcohol, meh, straight gas, meh! but the stinky blend of E85 cuts it!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:40pm
Either way (E85 or hot power washer), you’ll probably need to remove tank(s)? Auxiliary tank? If yes, then remove both. If E85 doesn’t satisfy, then maybe try cleaning tank(s) in local car wash bay using it’s hot soap cycle & rinse? Maybe bribe wife(or girlfriend?) with a bottle of Liberty Creek Merlot to assist you at the car wash?? Ever see the classic movie “Cool Hand Luke?”
Arcs and Sparks View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Arcs and Sparks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 8:07pm
Biodiesel created issues for marine vessels as well which were susceptible to condensation in the fuel storage below the waterline.  Any amount of moisture and biodiesel resulted in a type of algae formation.  Chemistry seems to always find an antidote. There are fuel additives like Fuel Right 15K that work well from my experience but you read the marketing pitch and decide for yourself.  Since it dissolves into the fuel, the baffles are not an issue.  I used it on my 210 which had sat with a fuel tank full of biodiesel for 7 years.   I used about an eyedropper full of that additive and left the machine sit for a week using compressed air to agitate the fuel a couple times through the fill nozzle.   There is really no way of describing how much black silt came out with the fuel when I drained it.  I did plug another fuel filter about 15 more hours after the use of the additive but its been almost 3 years now without further issues.  Its possibly some voodoo magic you might want to consider as an option before performing surgery on your tank.  
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 10:51pm
Think we’re going to do the tank while hood is off our 185
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:21am
Saving the fuel you have added is probably economic. You can use compressed air to break up the chunks. Pump it in through a copper tube with a regulator to control the flow and put in some biocide and let it bubble for a good long time. have the tank pretty full so the entire inside of the tank gets some of the biocide applied.  'Power Service' makes one that we have had success with. As long as the chunks will come through the draw tube without stopping it up  then what I think you need is a large capacity filter/fuel water separator from a wrecked or scrapped road tractor. Davco was a popular brand with a variety of micron ratings for the elements so check for price and availabilty of the filter elements before you buy one. Most of these are designed so the junk and water coming out of the tank stays in the bottom of the housing and there is a valve in the bottom and a vent in the top so you can drain water and junk. The paper element in the top is housed in a see through plastic dome. As the filter catches debris the fuel level in the dome raises indicating the need to change the filter. An add on electric pump might be put on the clean side of the added fuel filter/separator. Then pump it on to the factory filter set up.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:49am
My XT when I bought it had sat in a shed in the woods for 28 years! Long story short I power washed it with cold water while still on the tractor for which seemed like hours. Baffles in there I tried to hit with every angle imaginable. Kept hitting until it ran clear.
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 10:34am
Hmmm….
I might have to just start trying things….
It’s been too cold for anything with water, so might try the e85 first being it won’t freeze…
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 7:24pm
Where are you located? I have a parts tractor with a couple of tanks if it'd help you out.
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2023 at 8:54pm
The tanks on the tractor are in pretty good shape, not much rust, only gum and coal color flakes….
Thanks any way!!!
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 6:46pm
I got the big tank off today and looked down the fill hole a seen about a half inch of slime(?) in the bottom.
We are hoping the e85 will eat the slime or at least loosen it so it will come out…
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 6:48pm
The E85 will eat it, may take several doses. 
rodnil View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodnil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:56pm
Use lacquer thinner; it will work wonders at removing the crap in the tank caused by bio-diesel. I used it in my 220 fuel tank and I was amazed at the junk that came out of the tank. You need to move it around in the tank and let it set in the tank over night. After cleaning the tank with lacquer thinner and the fuel lines and replacing all of the fuel filters the tractor runs great. But no more of that CRAP BIO-DIESEL in its fuel tank.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 9:32pm
The guy that helps us in shop put a small length of small chain in tank with lacquer thinner and rolled around. Cleaned up nice
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2023 at 11:42pm
So as an update…
We let both tanks set with E85 for about 2 weeks and shook it around and some crap did come out but not enough so we rinsed it with water and some more came out, still not good enough so we cut the top off, scraped and peeled, and blew it out at the car wash and finally hallelujah it was perfect…
We took them to our wonderful local blacksmith and he welded them back together and pressure tested them.
Now we need to give a final rinse with diesel and it should be ready to go!!

Edited by 55allis - 17 Mar 2023 at 11:42pm
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 11:54am
Well here it is after painting the front wheels and putting the fuel tanks on and after a couple hours of a workout…
Play Farmer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Play Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 1:01pm
Looks nice!
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 6:39pm
I agree, nice looking tractor. And you've got it running good just in time for spring work.
      Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 8:30pm
Very nice indeed
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 9:13am
Thanks a’ll!!
Only one more thing to check and it will be ready to roll!!
It will blow a lot of black smoke when it’s throttled up so we decided to get a appointment to check out the injectors to make sure none are plugged…
We had them rebuilt with injection pump 500 hours ago so we just want to make sure everything is good…
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2023 at 2:42pm
Black smoke at full throttle? Has it been sitting outdoors or in a lean-to shed where birds could get to it? If so then it may have a bird nest built inside its engine’s vertical clean air pipe between the Donaldson plastic dust bowl & air filters. Birds love to build nest in pipe above filters.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic