This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

another steering clutch job +

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another steering clutch job +
    Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 12:08am
Greetings to all.  I am in the middle of taking out my left steering clutch, rebuilding it and  putting her back together.  I have the battery boxes, fuel tank, left clutch cover and the floor pan all removed.  It took me 2 days to clean out the grease mixed dirt and all the grime under the floor pan. And oh by the way it is a H D - 6 model B,  serial number,  Thought I had it in the house will add it tomorrow.

It is getting a face lift so to speak.  Battery boxes fixed where necessary, most all the metal primed and painted.  I've got the material for a new seat back and bottom.  And it is getting a  really nice canopy/ rollover protection with limb sweeps.

Pictures, everybody likes pictures.  Please somebody tell me how to do it I will post many.  I see the insert image icon at the top of the margin.  I will give it a shot tomorrow. 

I have  broken loose 6 of the 3/4 inch bolts.  3 left and 3 right.  Brake band  Pin comes out tomorrow.  This is one of the little newer HD 6's.  Has the 6000 engine, runs like 2 tops, and grease fitting track adjusters.  Got lucky there. It has a 6 way blade, hydraulic up-down, manual angle and tilt. I bought it about 6, 7 years ago.  Drove out to Buffalo, NY from Mn. and picked her up.  Wish me luck guys.  It's gonna be fun.  Better go for now.  Have a great weekend guys,  Clyde
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 7:44am
Best of luck to you on the project.
I started an HD5G project six or seven years ago, found more wrong than I bargained on, and it still sits. All of the final drive on the left side needs bearings. Got up to the point where drive sprocket needs to come off, and that's kind of where I dropped the ball.
Darrel
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:53am
Sold many of the HD5 spare parts I did have a few years back but still have my 1955 HD5G yet . Kept a few parts just in case I needed them . 
 Put HD10 steering clutch bi-metal clutch disc in in late 80's and best thing i did . 
Welded sprocket rings onto old spokes so those were done without removing truck frame . On another HD5G I rebuilt I changed sprocket complete by cutting the truck frame after making a jig to keep it aligned - then welded cut off piece back into place using the jig to keep it in original placement . 
  I bought my first HD5G in 1972 and still have that one but 3 others I picked up I have sold over the years . 
  Couple years back my son scanned to full HD5 manual and i have it now on CD - keep saying I am going to sell the CD's but never got to it so far .  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
onetrackmind View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:42pm
Good evening to all.  it's been a long day.  Got the left side jacked up and started breaking loose the rest of the bolts on both sides of the clutch.  Got all but one.  might need a little heat or weld another bolt head on.  Time will tell.  No pictures yet and the serial number ,I forgot to write it down.  Tomorrow we will hit  her again.  Enjoy your weekend guys  Clyde
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2023 at 9:57pm
Forgot to tell you all that I have a HD-5 G.  Runs pretty dam good.  It has a diverter valve with a ripper bar on the back.  Needs paint and a new seat.  Don't know when I'll get to that one.  Enjoy your sunday,  Clyde
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:22pm
Good evening to all.  Well today was the big day.  Heated the flange where the rounded off bolt head was and WA-LA.  Out she came.  Removed the last bolt and the pins that located the brake band, believe it or not  they came out  very easily.  5 minutes later and the  clutch pack was on the bench.  Definitely a celebration day.  Time to start soaking to remove the rust and then take apart the clutch pac.

Oh by the way the  model and serial numbers are  HD-6B  SN  21193.  Not sure what year that is.  I'm pretty sure it is one of the later ones.  It has a wet main clutch and the tracks are adjusted with grease  through fittings.  Have a good evening,   Clyde
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2023 at 10:37pm
Here are a few pics of me picking up the dozer years ago.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:29am
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 12:40am
Was able to post 1 pic.  Still having much trouble.  It wont let me cancel and start over.  Clyde
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 4:32am
Hello OTM,
 As I can see, the size you have is 600x800, which should post without trouble. And that you uploaded your photos to the 'File Manager' on this site... So it should be easy to post them from the FM, and several at a time. 
 You usually have to be in the Full Editor mode to post pics, but there is another way too that you don't need to be in FM but that involves using brackets and some code words.

If your pic is less than 980x980 pixel, you can post them from another source using the address link to the pic and inserting it in between  [IMG] https://www.123xyz.jpg[/I MG]  with no spaces. My illustration shows spaces... otherwise it would disappear and you would not see what I am trying to show. 
 When putting in more than one picture, hit 'Enter' twice to put a space between the pics for easier seeing.  Hope that helps.

I too have a few old dozers that are in need of steering clutch work, and or broke loose.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2023 at 10:10pm
JC, Let me see if i can explain what is going on.  Through trial and error and some reading I learned how to choose a picture, go to edit, resize and download.  Before that  I clicked on  the little tree icon, insert image.  I chose a file which i keep on my desktop windows 10 . and I opened 3 or 4 photos.  These were pics. that i didn't know to resize first. OK no problem.  So I clicked on the cancel button to start over knowing all pics. that I chose need to be resized first.  I've clicked the cancel button until I'm blue in the face and I cant cancel the screen where I opened the phots that weren't resized.  I cant cancel my mistake, pure and simple.  Do you or anybody know how to do that?  Thank you for trying to help me.  It is greatly appreciated.,  Clyde
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 8:27pm
I just resize them in my PC file. My cell phone seems to take wall poster sized photos. Glad your clutch wasn't frozen like mine was. Anyways I just bought a new set of steels and brake band assy. from steering clutch dot kom, and they are very nice. Smile
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 1:39pm
If my book is right you have a 1968 model.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 10:56pm
yep 1968
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2023 at 8:39pm
Hey OneTrackMind, how you making out with your HD6?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onetrackmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2023 at 11:21am
HI guys.  Been off line for quite some time.  Plugging away at it.  Got the steering clutch plates i needed.  It is ready to go back together.  Been working on the battery boxes.  Cutting out the old rust , getting new steel and rebuilding them.  Doing a lot of priming and painting.  believe or or not pics. to follow soon of my progress to date.

Got a question.  The aluminum  service and lubrication plate on the left battery box.  Does anybody know how to bring them back to legible life.  Or, lol someone might have one they don't need.  One other thought. a picture of a legible one they could text me and i can have a decal made. thank you all.  Hopefully be back soon,  Clyde
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic