This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduction and G electrification

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phabib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduction and G electrification
    Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 1:35pm
I'm new to the site and new to AC ownership.  I'm the co-founder of a small non-profit farm that serves people with and without disabilities www.commonrootsfarm.org and the people who work here have been admiring the value of a G for a small acreage farm like this.  There is also some concern about the maintenance and environmental impact of another gas engine so since I work for an electric vehicle company and have access to parts and expertise we decided to convert one to electric. 

I got two non running Gs at auction and will start after the new year.  For now I'm trying to familiarize myself with the non engine parts of the tractors.

The plan is to make an adapter plate to replace the engine with an electric motor and install a battery pack where the engine is.  Since I'll be using lithium batteries, the pack will be small and fairly light, between 100 and 200 pounds depending on what's available for me to get from the rejected parts bin at work.

I'm thinking I'll need to turn down the performance of the electric motor to limit torque and acceleration so I don't wind up with 3 neutral gears.  Has anyone here done something like this?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 1:55pm
There are several that have done it ( dont know if any on this site)... You can even buy a KIT from one manufacturer...

Edited by steve(ill) - 03 Dec 2022 at 1:58pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 1:57pm
Several people have made 'Green Gs' over the past 2-3 decades
The 'easy' route is to just use the motor and controller from a battery powered golf car.
The G has a 10HP engine, so a 5-7.5HP electric motor is a good 'fit'.
You'll have to reduce the motor RPM and increase torque, usually done with a double Vbelt setup rated for at least 10HP.
Your big issue will of course  be the lithium battery pack and BMS. You'll need to 'do the math' and see how large a battery pack you need for say 10 hrs of run time ( a typical farming day )
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
phabib View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phabib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 3:20pm
Thank you  both for the suggestions.  Since I can get free motor/controller/battery and have a milling machine to make the adapter, I don't think I'll be getting the kit.  The drawing of the bell housing in the SARE site is really nice to have.  I may not even need the belt drive reduction.  The motor I'm likely to use makes plenty of torque even without reducing the speed.  I'll talk to the motor experts and ask them.
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 3:56pm
I would think that things such as max: rpm, acceleration, torque, etc are all part of the controller parameters, much like most VFD's are.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 4:37pm
It is important that the motor and controller are 'matched', as in they WILL work together !
You can't just grab any old  motor and a 'looks OK' controller ,wire them up and expect them to work.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 5:24pm
I've never understood the necessity of removing a gas engine that would probably cost less to repair and operate, with a coal fired electric motor, and all the time and money wasted to fabricate its installation, but hey, that's just me...Wink

Regardless, welcome to the forum, and good luck with the project.  Oh, and we love pictures, lotsa pictures...Thumbs Up
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
phabib View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phabib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 7:12pm
Thanks for the tip about matching the whole electric powertrain.  I'm an engineer for an EV company, and getting parts that are meant to be used together, so I think I'm OK there.
I understand the point about not replacing something with lots of life in it for electric because of the payback time for all of the embodied energy in the electric.  My existing engine will go to replace an engine in someone else's G, not the scrapyard, so it won't be a total waste.  On a 3 acre farm with the G being used just as a cultivator, you are right.  From an energy saving point of view the payback in energy or money will be close to forever.  Part of the reason is the volunteers will have an easier time with something that doesn't need gas, or tuneups or having a carb gum up from non use for 6 months.  I'm in California, so nearly all of our electricity is from renewables, and the farm is installing lots of solar.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 7:35pm
re: I'm in California, so nearly all of our electricity is from renewables
hmm, I was curious ...
and from the net...

As of 2018, California had 80 GW of installed generation capacity encompassing more than 1,500 power plants; with 41 GW of natural gas, 26.5 GW of renewable (12 GW solar, 6 GW wind), 12 GW large hydroelectric, and 2.4 GW nuclear

so over HALF is NON renewable and no mention about the IMPORTED energy from other states which SHOULD be counted to be NONrenewable.

BTW there is a world of difference in an EV car power plant compared to a <10 HP EV tractor but it's pretty easy to figure out. 10 years ago when I had my 2nd G, I had planned on using a 10HP diesel to replace the worn out gas engine, then spent a month doing design/build for a 'battery G'. Mechanically it was easy and the controller dead simple,cost about $50 in components and about 500 lines of PIC C code
There's actually more 'tech' in the BMS needed for the battery recharger !

phabib View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phabib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 1:58pm
Thanks all for the interest and feedback.  I totally agree about the importance of the proper care and feeding of a battery pack.  I just spent a bunch of hours writing firmware drivers for battery monitor/balancing ICs so it's all pretty fresh in my mind.  I'm lucky in that our battery packs have that built in so if I can get my hands on a full pack that can't be sold as new for whatever reason I'll have a full plug and play setup.

I'm trying to decide which of my two tractors will be the runner and which the donor.  As far as I can tell from eyeballing them, both frames are straight.  One tractor has a bent tie rod.  Both have similar amount of slop in the steering.  I think that just means I should pick the better transmission.  I could remove the PTO cover and look for visible wear, and maybe get the wheels up and feel for slop, but I don't know if there is a better way.  One of them has a lot of dust stuck to the transaxle, which maybe indicates a leak.

Any ideas on how to pick the one to work on?

Thanks.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2022 at 2:12pm
You should post pictures so we can see them.
I'd pull both engines and clutches, raise up off the ground, spin the input shafts and see/fee the gears. Almost all came with the ultra low 1st gear. I had 3, all 3 had it. When off the ground, you can check front end steering. decide which tires/rims are best. rear implement lift is nice, hydraulic front lift is nice, having good,straight tin makes them pretty ! One mod is to lengthen the frame for us normal height guys....

phabib View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phabib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 12:29pm
This is tractor 1.  The head is off the engine, and the fenders have a couple of tears I could weld and grind back to good condition.

phabib View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phabib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 12:31pm
This is Tractor 2.  Other than having a complete engine and radiator, which I won't need, I don't see a real difference.

phabib View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phabib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 12:33pm
And, of course, the water trough full of parts.  The sheetmetal is in there, along with other bits.

phabib View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phabib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 12:34pm
Looks like none of my photos made it.  What's the trick to posting photos here?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic