This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

reddy forced air heaters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: reddy forced air heaters
    Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 9:08pm
Why would my reddy heater work great as long as the top cover is removed? As soon as I put the cover back on, it dies.  Has to be starving for air but I even removed the filter, same results. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links

D19allisowner View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 10:51pm
If you find an answer to that problem I would like to know.
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 7:38am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
D19allisowner View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D19allisowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 11:07am
link don't work
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 11:37am
YEP....... dont know what happened....

Original Post
hello folks

I got a used Reddy heater R55A, that would run for anywhere from from 5 to 20 minutes then shut down. (electronic heater ignition, not spark plug) I have completely rebuilt the pump, no real wear, no visible cracks, new filter set, new nozzle, pressure set to 3.4 per label, holds steady. the only air leak I found was the hose to the tank fitting was stretched out so I trimmed it and sealed it with a zip tie which visibly improved fuel flow. After all that it runs constantly with the cover off but dies almost as soon as the lid is out back on. My research indicated dying with the hood on the almost always means the nozzle is usually the culprit, but that did not solve the issue. I replaced the filter set because of air bubbles leaking out through the cork gaskets, the new set does the exact same thing, so I figure that's probably normal and it's not a huge air leak, just enough to show up with soapy water. I've cleaned the face of the flame sensor, but that's about the only part left to replace. The tank is perfectly clean, and I tried a brand new can of fuel, the fuel filter is perfectly clean. I'm wishing I had just bought a brand new one at this point. It's single digits here and I need to replace a transmission so any help to get this thing working properly is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comment------------
Have you tested the photocell? Try this:

Remove photocell from heater and set voltmeter on the 1000 Ohm (RX1K) scale.

Hold the lens up to a light source (80 watt light bulb, direct sunlight, etc.) with the lens of the photocell pointed toward the light source. The resistance of the meter should be low (less than 500 ohms).

Blocking off the light source by putting thumb or electrical tape over opening of photocell, the resistance on the meter should be high. Replace the photocell if a change in resistance is NOT observed during the test.

Also, check the breather hole in the fuel cap to make sure it is not plugged.

Answer back---
YEP.......... the breather hole in the cap was plugged...

Edited by steve(ill) - 02 Oct 2022 at 11:38am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 1:03pm
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by cowkicker cowkicker wrote:

Why would my reddy heater work great as long as the top cover is removed? As soon as I put the cover back on, it dies.  Has to be starving for air but I even removed the filter, same results. Any ideas?

They're sensitive to air pressure in the combustion chamber. To much and they go out. I had one doing this. I had to get longer screws plus nuts an washers to make a crack along one side of the hood to bled off pressure.
Learning AC...slowly
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 2:07pm
Odd thing of to much air as I had one I used to warm engine on crawlers before starting in below zero temps and would flame out or just smoke , unless I covered air inlet area about 1/2 of opening . It would work great then but with full inlet would not heat just smoke .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2022 at 10:53am
They are picky and each one has different quirks. what fixes one wont fix the next 10! Thats what I found on mine. The photo cell was my biggest thing to get set right.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic