This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD6G main clutch, dry type cost

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD6G main clutch, dry type cost
    Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 9:15am
Looking at buyingSmile a semi-derelict machine. I'd like to ask if anyone has changed one of these clutches recently, and how much was the parts cost. Labor I will do myself. Please mention the source of the parts. Serial number of the machine is 10xxx. Thanks
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 10:40am
  Maybe the machine need just cluch adjustement and am still have small parts and pressure cluch,links,cams,springs,adjusting ring and more.
doctorcorey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 12:30pm
Thanks Hector. I'm pretty sure the guy who is selling it knows about the clutch adjustment, as he's had it a long time. I'll keep you in mind when I get it tore down. Good thing is, all the undercarriage is in great shape. 
Semper Fi USMC    1958 HD6G, 1959 MF 203 loader, 1960 Case 420B Backhoe, MF 65 Tractor/Loader Diesel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 1:17pm
Also, how can you tell from outside the bellhousing if it has the Auburn or Richman clutch?
TCPatriot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCPatriot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 2:55pm
I just did my HD6G last October, there are two types of clutch disc options I don’t recall what I paid . Ended up having to replace all the springs also . They crumbled , also had to order a new used clutch housing mine was cracked in many spots . I have the card of who i ordered from but don’t know off the top of my head
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by TCPatriot TCPatriot wrote:

I just did my HD6G last October, there are two types of clutch disc options I don’t recall what I paid . Ended up having to replace all the springs also . They crumbled , also had to order a new used clutch housing mine was cracked in many spots . I have the card of who i ordered from but don’t know off the top of my head
Just kidding here, but if you can't remember how much you paid, you must have a lot more money than I do....Wink
TCPatriot View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCPatriot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 3:54pm
No just lost a bunch of money on it. Selling for three grand or best offer , I did a ton of work then spun a bearing and I don’t have a place to pull the engine so if you need a great parts machine I have one in iowa. New starter, alternator, fluids , batteries
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 4:45pm
The hd6 use a AUBURN and ROCKFORD master cluch, the AUBURN  have for adjustement cluch with small teeths  on ring and have 6 link adjusting lever and the ROCKFORD   have a ring adjusting with big nutch and have 3 big camshaft.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

The hd6 use a AUBURN and ROCKFORD master cluch, the AUBURN  have for adjustement cluch with small teeths  on ring and have 6 link adjusting lever and the ROCKFORD   have a ring adjusting with big nutch and have 3 big camshaft.
Can you tell from this picture?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by TCPatriot TCPatriot wrote:

No just lost a bunch of money on it. Selling for three grand or best offer , I did a ton of work then spun a bearing and I don’t have a place to pull the engine so if you need a great parts machine I have one in iowa. New starter, alternator, fluids , batteries
   I'm in the south KC area. Might look you up sometime once I know my needs. Thanks
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2022 at 5:39pm
This cluch  what I can see is AUBURN cluch.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2022 at 6:27pm
Now that the machine runs, I'm going to go ahead and pull the clutch housing. Thought about trying to adjust the clutch, but it would have to be far out to be as loose as it is, with about 5 lbs. of force necessary to snap it in. Smile I think I would rest better at night knowing all the parts in there are lubed and sound. Also, the hose for lubing the T/O bearing cone has melted or been eaten by rodents. Probably hasn't been lubed since 1975, I'll reline the disc if it's salvageable. Had to pick loose 2'' of asphalt from the frame below housing. My clutch yoke is very loose , similar to  someone's long post from 2019. Anyway space is tight, and I wish I was about a foot shorter for this one. Wish those manuals would show up.......I have just about every one EXCEPT the one for Clutch. Hopefully I won't need the one for 'bevel gear' or 'transmission'. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2022 at 6:43pm
Sourcing the friction disc should be no problem , on my HD5 I uses a local supplier that just sold Automotive clutches , and Truck clutches , driveshafts , U Joints . 
 I put in a bi-metal (ceramic friction disc) that was easily sourced through them . The disc I had put in earlier (years back)  was the same disc as used in IH L190 truck with Black diamond engine .
 The brass sleve (bushing) that sets in the shift yoke I had to make as could not find the part so using a brass stock I turned a new one .
 The bushing wears out from leaving the engine running with clutch disengaged - rather than putting the transmission in neutral and engaging the clutch so input shaft turns with clutch disc . Not mentioned in owners manual ! 
  Rear housng is same as HD5 with shims to set pinion depth into ring gear , but side movement of the ring gear is also set with shims on side gear bearings .

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 13 Sep 2022 at 6:50pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 2:48pm
Well, I finally got the clutch housing off. It weighs a lot less than I was expecting, easily lifted out. Lots of rusted parts, and one broken link/stand thingy. Also one broken 'pressure plate' bolt. If this clutch had not been burnt out, it likely would have been quickly trashed from lack of lubrication. I watched the Chiefs game whilst removing this. Tonite I will pull the rest of the clutch out and see the rest of the story. Still can't get the nose tilt bolts loose, despite using some heat on them. May try jacks under the rear to get it to move. I need to remove the fuel transfer pump, and this thing is in the way. 
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 4:51pm
Yes you can use a jack to loosed the nose
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by gemdozer gemdozer wrote:

Yes you can use a jack to loosed the nose
  Yes, the jack worked.....took a lot of pressure, but finally it started to budge, keep working it back and forth and lots or spray penetrant. Now I have room to remove the transfer pump, I hope. Tongue
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 9:46pm
One step forward, one step back. The idiots who left the inspection cover off of the clutch housing, allowing water to accumulate there, left me with 3 clutch cover bolts whose heads are rusted to appx. 1/2 inch size. If I can't get something to grip on them, I'll be stuck with grinding the heads off of them, then drilling out and tapping 4 bolt holes, all the while resembling nothing more than a giraffe trying to dress in a phone booth. Decided to wait till daylight and consider my options, and took up the BFH and keep working on the tracks, which I have freed up the entire topside. Also bought a RB-A'dMFH (use your imagination) for when the BFH can't hack it. TongueAngry
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

One step forward, one step back. The idiots who left the inspection cover off of the clutch housing, allowing water to accumulate there, left me with 3 clutch cover bolts whose heads are rusted to appx. 1/2 inch size. If I can't get something to grip on them, I'll be stuck with grinding the heads off of them, then drilling out and tapping 4 bolt holes, all the while resembling nothing more than a giraffe trying to dress in a phone booth. Decided to wait till daylight and consider my options, and took up the BFH and keep working on the tracks, which I have freed up the entire topside. Also bought a RB-A'dMFH (use your imagination) for when the BFH can't hack it. TongueAngry

If you have a mig machine grind the bolt heads flat and shiny, but don't remove much material. Mig weld a grade 8 hex nut to the bolt head with the heat turned up just a bit. Fill the threaded area of the nut complete. After allowing to cool about a minute the fastener will usually easily remove. If it snaps off, repeat the process. 

I seen your tracks were tight in your first photo post. Most times they break free with slow movement of the tractor but extremely rusted tracks can break things so best to start off slow and not force destruction.    
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2022 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

Originally posted by doctorcorey doctorcorey wrote:

If you have a mig machine grind the bolt heads flat and shiny, but don't remove much material. Mig weld a grade 8 hex nut to the bolt head with the heat turned up just a bit. Fill the threaded area of the nut complete. After allowing to cool about a minute the fastener will usually easily remove. If it snaps off, repeat the process. 

I seen your tracks were tight in your first photo post. Most times they break free with slow movement of the tractor but extremely rusted tracks can break things so best to start off slow and not force destruction.    
  I do have mig. I might have to make a LONG extension cord. I'm a decent welder but doing it upside down may be interesting. There's not much side clearance or I could weld a pretty large nut on them. I've just used jacks, hammers, and a big steel bar on the tracks. 
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 5:46am
A "swan neck" mig gun is your friend in this type scenario. When you mention "clutch cover" I assume you are referencing the pressure plate for the main clutch and have seen several instances where the capscrews are recessed into the cover stamping with little side clearance to the fasteners. In this type atmosphere use a die grinder and carbide burr to clean the head of the fastener to weld to. Just make sure you weld the existing fastener to the new nut and not the nut to the fastener as you want to drive the heat into the fastener. 

I've had tracks so tight it's taken a torch, tractor weight, and a lot of patience to get them broken free to rotate. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2022 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by Codger Codger wrote:

A "swan neck" mig gun is your friend in this type scenario. When you mention "clutch cover" I assume you are referencing the pressure plate for the main clutch and have seen several instances where the capscrews are recessed into the cover stamping with little side clearance to the fasteners. In this type atmosphere use a die grinder and carbide burr to clean the head of the fastener to weld to. Just make sure you weld the existing fastener to the new nut and not the nut to the fastener as you want to drive the heat into the fastener. 

I've had tracks so tight it's taken a torch, tractor weight, and a lot of patience to get them broken free to rotate. 
I used my air file to shine up the top of the bolt heads. I think I may use my mig tomorrow to build up material on the top, grind it flat, then (assuming I can't turn them with vice grips, weld a large, thin nut to them. That will give me more room for error, and more welding surface. After I get this clutch off, I'm going to fire her up and use the boom to lift the front of the tractor so I can see how the bottom tracks move. They had been doused with a lot of waste oil before I got it. Smile
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doctorcorey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2022 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Sourcing the friction disc should be no problem , on my HD5 I uses a local supplier that just sold Automotive clutches , and Truck clutches , driveshafts , U Joints . 
 I put in a bi-metal (ceramic friction disc) that was easily sourced through them . The disc I had put in earlier (years back)  was the same disc as used in IH L190 truck with Black diamond engine .
 The brass sleve (bushing) that sets in the shift yoke I had to make as could not find the part so using a brass stock I turned a new one .
 The bushing wears out from leaving the engine running with clutch disengaged - rather than putting the transmission in neutral and engaging the clutch so input shaft turns with clutch disc . Not mentioned in owners manual ! 
  Rear housng is same as HD5 with shims to set pinion depth into ring gear , but side movement of the ring gear is also set with shims on side gear bearings .
   That IH L190 clutch disc shows as being a fully lined disc (as opposed to 'button' style). Is that what you used?

Edited by doctorcorey - 19 Sep 2022 at 12:30pm
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2022 at 8:58am
I have been into clutch 3 times and last time I went to button clutch - other times it was fabric friction disc . 
 Last time I had a problem was when one of the 3 arms broke and fell into housing , had another clutch core to replace the arm and a long flex tool and magnet to fish the old part out .
  The button clutch works good but there is no slipping clutch - in or out - 
Be sure to check that brass bushing in the sliding clutch collar for wear as it's important in how clutch engages .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic