This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling all electricians

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling all electricians
    Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 6:22pm
Two questions;
Is stranded wire acceptable if run inside metal conduit?

How do I cure ‘open ground’?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:12pm
Need more info.

Stranded bare?

What has an open ground and how did you determine that?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:21pm
"most" wire run in house or business is solid if under #10 gauge.... Heavier wire is stranded so it can be formed and bent.... VERY fine wire is not normally used, but would be possible......... look at automotive wire.. it is all stranded..

OPEN GROUND means your ground is BROKEN ... or you have a  HOT- Neutral and never had a ground ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 8:51pm
I purchased one of those plug in ‘outlet testers’ with the three lights. The outlets in my detached bldg., indicated open ground. The sub panel has two hots, and a neutral coming in.
The wiring in the bldg., is all in steel tubing conduit. I replaced the 50 amp plug marked welder(I don’t have a welder) with a 30 amp RV plug, so I can plug in my RV while it’s in the bldg. The RV plug(30 amp) uses one hot, one neutral, one ground. In this sub panel, it is wired that all grounds, and neutrals are hooked directly to the one bus bar. I don’t see evidence of a grounding rod outside, not saying there isn’t one, I just haven’t seen it.
The person that originally wired this bldg. used 12 ga stranded wires, unfortunately all the same color.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 04 Aug 2022 at 8:52pm
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:01pm
your WELDER was 240v.... HOT- Neutral- HOT .......... Is your 30 amp RV plug suppose to be 120v or 240 V  ?   HOT- NEUTRAL- GROND is a 120v setup...

You have 3 wires for the welding plug so you can change it to either 240v or 120v by moving wires inside the breaker box.

Look at the duplex plugs on the wall... do they have TWO wires to each thru the conduit, or 3 (  HOT- NEUTRAL)... or (HOT- NEUTRAL- GROUND)
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:04pm
Just for clarity-

You removed a 50A/240v receptacle (welder) and replaced it with a 120v/30A RV plug?

If you didn't reconfigure the wiring at the panel, you now have 240v going to a 120V receptacle... DON'T PLUG THE RV IN...

The 240v/50A uses two hots (one +120v, the other -120v), and one ground.

The 120V/30A uses one hot, one neutral, and one ground.

You're getting an outlet tester indication of 'open ground' because you've got the recepticle wired dangerously wrong.

Here's a fairly good writeup:

Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:04pm
on the duplex wall plugs, you put the BLACK wire on the GOLD screw and the WHITE wire on the WHITE screw........ If you have the same color wire on everything, i would guess he switched a wire here or there and the "tester" is showing that......... is there a THIRD wire in each conduit for GROUND ??  ( or it could be OK.. and you have the RV PLUG wired wrong)..

NOTE... the BLACK wire is always on the right side of the receptacle...

Edited by steve(ill) - 04 Aug 2022 at 9:12pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:32pm
I reconfigured the wires to accommodate for the RV plug. Removed the two pole breaker, and installed a single pole 30 amp breaker for the RV plug.
The other outlets in the bldg have only two wires in the conduit, I assume they used the steel tubing conduit as the ‘ground’. My plug in tester indicates the correct polarity on all the outlets, just ‘open ground’.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 04 Aug 2022 at 9:35pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:37pm
thats the problem is they only have two wires and they are the same color... Look at the drawing above of the duplex plugs... BLACK always on the right... The WHITE and GROUND  ( GREEN) wires are "common" as you said , inside your breaker box.... What would happen if you switched the BLACK and WHITE wires on ONE of the duplex plugs above ? ........... thats what has happened to you.. sometimes you have the HOT on the left and sometimes have the HOT on the right.. hard to tell with one color... and you should check to see that the GROUND SCREW is actually connected to the steel box / conduit.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:40pm
You can use it this way, as has been done in the past, but you dont have the SAFETY GROUND setup.... If you have a plastic case skill saw or hand drill that only has a two prong plug, then that is OK... If your using an extension cord or other equip with a 3RD PRONG ground... it really is doing no good.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2022 at 9:50pm
I haven’t opened up every outlet yet. Fortunately all the outlets run on one long side of the bldg. They used all red colored wire(sigh). Its possible the steel conduit separated some where along way. Thats why I like to run romex even inside conduit.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 2:09am
A ground rod is not what provides a ground.  Sounds like the ground and neutral need bonded in the panel.

And romex in conduit, just why?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 4:35am
ALL 120v Electrical outlets, Black to Brass, White to Chrome screws, green or just copper ground to the Green screw.

Need to set a ground rod and a ground connection to a buss bar in the electrical box, can be 'Bonded' to the Neutral in most cases just recommended to separate Green and White to the separate bars regardless.  Then will have to have a N and G wire at each outlet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:20am
re: Look at the drawing above of the duplex plugs... BLACK always on the right.

Unless the receptacle is mounted 'upside down' ( was code here once......sigh)

1) yes you can use stranded,as long as same gauge(size) as solid was.

2)problem with conduit runs 'open ground', the screws to tighten sections 'loosen' = no ground. I ran a separate green wire ground in the garage conduits.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 7:10am
All the outlets in our home and my outside structures are Right Side Up with Ground Lug at top. Industrial standard.
Black or brass screws to Left Side.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 8:39am
again, the small TESTER is saying " bad ground".... that can be no ground thru the conduit, or it can be HOT and NEUTRAL wires were switched on ONE receptical... Thats why they make the romex BLACK and WHITE instead of TWO RED... Switch the wires and you get "BAD GROUND" ..
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:12am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

All the outlets in our home and my outside structures are Right Side Up with Ground Lug at top. Industrial standard.
Black or brass screws to Left Side.

The house we owned in Midland was that way, ground lug on top. There was a couple of outlets that I turned the plug 1/2 way around to better accommodate the appliance plugged into it. But still kept it black wire on brass terminal, white wire on silver terminal.
The house we own now has almost all outlets with the ground lug on the bottom.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 05 Aug 2022 at 10:13am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 11:50am
The National Electrical Code (NEC) doesn't require a certain direction. The NEC allows outlets to be installed with the ground plug hole facing up, down or sideways. It's up to you, there is no standard electric outlet orientation. So that means there really is no such thing as upside down outlets.May 23, 2022
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 2:07pm
I’m old enough to remember outlets in homes that were not ‘polarized’. The only place you saw a grounded plug was in the garage.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 6:59pm
In the early 1950s the NEC required NEW houses to have ground plug in the laundry room and garage and where every it could be WET..

By 1969 they estimate that about half of houses had grounded plugs.... and NEW  large appliances came with the grounded plug..

In 1974 they required ALL new construction to have grounds ( inside the house also)..

Edited by steve(ill) - 05 Aug 2022 at 7:02pm
lockheedt33 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lockheedt33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 8:35pm
When I was reading up on NEC code requiring my outbuilding I ran across the grounding requirements for outbuildings. The only place ground and neutral should be tied together is in the main panel. In sub panels they should be separated with each sub panel having a local ground rod. Wiring between the main panel and sub panels should be 4 conductor for 220 panels. 2 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground.
1941 AC B
1948 AC C
1951 AC CA
1954 AC WD45
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic