This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hydraulic Cylinders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hydraulic Cylinders
    Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 10:27am
Curious what everyone else does.

When I was a kid.....each tractor came with and had it's own hydraulic cylinder. Same one was used for any pull type implement. Disk, planter, shredder. It stayed with the tractor. As implements got larger......they each had their own. You just connected the hoses. That was way easier.

The D15 has it's own AC cylinder. It is one way.....and has hose for the higher PSI.

Have only one for the Ford 5610, but am needed to get another. The 5610 pulled up lame with hay down in the field, so job was finished using a neighbor's small Kubota.......which had no rear remotes, so was forced to tap into the loader bucket ports. I have hoses made for the quick disconnect bucket fittings on their Kubotas. Have concluded we are going to leave that cylinder setup for use with a Kubota......as there are several in the neighborhood and now and then they use my haybine to cut their hay.

So what is a good brand of hydraulic cylinder to buy? Ford / New Holland dealer sells a Cross.......which for the 3" x 8" stroke I need was quoted $300. Farm and Home sells a Delavan of same size for $100. Is there a difference?

Is there an alternative source? Good source of used?

(Cheapest source I know of is after hours shopping on somebody's barn yard, but we don't do that!)
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 10:53am
Surplus Center , son buys most of his hydraulic cylinders from them for his skid loader attachments . Depending on cylinder and pressure rating they can have 100 parts in stock or 0 on day you check - but following day may again have 100 .
 He just ordered 50 cylinders for his snow plow units and another 20 for grapple buckets 
Warehouse distributor for many top name manufacturers. Parker Hydraulics, Hypro Pumps, Prince Hydraulics. Direct from the factory. Surplus equipment.

Hydraulics

Hydraulics,Hydraulic Cylinders,Log Splitters and Components ...

Electric Motors

Electric Motors,AC Single Phase Motors,DC Motors,DC ...

Power Transmission

Power Transmission,Gear Reducers , Gearboxes,Roller ...

Engines

Engines,Gas , Diesel Engines,Engine Accessories.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 11:10am
Have several spares anymore, as equipment retires, cylinders are pulled off, cylinders come with what you buy to replace it. And bigger stuff has multiple cylinders. Last one I bought was a rephasing cylinder because I didn’t have one like that. I believe it was a Chief model, purchased from Bailey Hydraulics. Seems just fine and Bailey sells good stuff v
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 3:29pm
Surplus Center. I have bought 2 from them.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 4:48pm
probably most are made in the same China Factory ?? .......... Really 2 types... welded on  butt end and screw on head...... or two plates , one each end, with 4 tie rod bolts holding everything together... Those are a little bigger OD and may not fit some applications.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 5:38pm
All I know is, dad bought a cylinder (if it did NOT have one) from the local F/F/, Quality F/F, BIG BLUE or Rural King stores Smile ,NO issues with the ALLIS  "hp/lv" pumps Thumbs Up
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 6:12pm
I had never heard of or thought about not having a cylinder on every piece of equipment until started reading it on the web.

Two old bachelors here had disconnect fitting on the cylinders and would take hoses from one piece of equipment to another. Left a big chunk of the money they saved to the Salvation Army,  and the rest to distant family. But don't know of anybody that moved cylinders. About 99% of tillage and planting equipment never sees a shed. Our planting time is the wet time and ever since the first tractors being 10 to 30 miles from home was normal. So once you where done for the season planting just leave it where you finished.

I buy from Surplus Center if have lead time to wait for it.

Edited by Ray54 - 26 Jun 2022 at 6:14pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 10:22am
They are all made in chimna, so save money and grab whats handy and go! Either they lift or they wont so better buy a couple then maybe at least 1 will work!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 10:40am
Prince Hydraulic of Sioux City, IA, Yankton, SD, and Hartington, Ne. makes cylinders, control valves, pumps for ag use, industrial use. 
There is another in north central IA, can't think of name that builds cylinders. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 2:34pm
Northern Tool sells Prince products
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by KJCHRIS KJCHRIS wrote:

There is another in north central IA, can't think of name that builds cylinders. 

Seabee in Hampton, IA?
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 8:48am
To close the loop on this, checked with the old AC shop that helps me wrench on tractors and they had a decent looking used Cross cylinder that had been pulled from a sickle mower. Exact size I needed. The hoses on it were shot, butt I have good hoses that will fit it. $75  I needed one......they wanted to get rid of one......problem solved!!!

BTW.....about 10 years ago, my dad went through an ordeal with a single action lift cylinder on a 20 foot land pride mower. The seals gave out and it was squirting oil out the vent. He went to Land Pride dealer.....who apparently knew nothing of fixing leaky cylinders.......and acted like the cylinder was a one-of part off the space shuttle. They couldn't help him. Found another place that after a long search.....decided they could order a replacement. Don't remember what it cost, but was not cheap. I swapped the hose for him and has been running ever since.

All that for a 10 minute job swapping some O rings? Don't know why my dad didn't know that (he was 93 and failing fast.....died a year later).....or why two farm equipment dealers didn't know that......but such was the case.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2022 at 8:55am
YEP... "SOMEHOW" they assembled the cylinder with seals.... They all come apart the same way it went together !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic