This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HF blast cabinet upgrades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HF blast cabinet upgrades
    Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 7:05am
Tell me about your blast cabinet upgrades.
My old bench top cabinet is wore out. Gloves shot, lid broken, poorly designed floor and lid.
I’m going to upgrade to a bigger unit on legs and wheels.
I want to know if you prefer a bottom feed with a metering valve or an upgraded siphon tube?
I already have a decent dust collector setup.
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 7:29am
I got the dust collection system from Eastwood. Way better than my old shop vac and water filter set up.
Put on wheels. I needed the extra height as I am over 6ft tall.
Metering valve
Foot pedal looks like a nice option but have not tried it.
Need to find a different nozzle. The I use now does not seem to work well with walnut shells
Lighting in mine sucks. Currently using a shop light over the window to see better
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 8:11am
I went through this years ago. You can buy a cheapo cabinet and upgrade OR buy one from these guys and be done with it. They sell all the parts to so you rebuild the wearable items as needed. I suggest buying a set of gloves,nozzle kit, and the replaceable sheets that go on the inside of the glass just to have in hand 

In fact I buy all my auto body supplies from these guys. Would like to visit their store someday

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 9:26am
I have a SUCTION type blaster cabinet for over 30 years ........ recently i was discussed on this page about a MODIFICATION to get additional suction air to the bottom suction TEE to help move the MEDIA thru the hose and eliminate the SURGING and PLUGGING in the hose... I did that and it helps a bunch.......... Suction system is simple  / easier / and is effective if you have the "MODIFICATION" .

there are other "changes" on you-tube such as foot pedal, positive gun shut off, etc... i didnt need any of that... my ONLY problem was surging media / poor feed.

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Jun 2022 at 9:34am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 10:14am
I did several upgrades on my HF cabinet.

The best thing I did was to replace the bolts that hold the observation glass with regular bolts placed from the inside. I have a bolt in every hole, but I only have nuts on four corners and two in the middle. It makes changing the glass or working on the gloves much easier.

I also added a foot pedal from Eastwood and a feed system from the bottom hopper. I only use about a quart of media at a time.

I also added an inexpensive LED light from Amazon inside (I used it on the front and still use the original one for the back.) Much easier to see.

I use a "cyclone" air filter on my shop vac for dust removal.

I can post pictures later, if you want.

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 11:28am
I saw a video of a guy that put cheap fixtures and incandescent flood lights inside. Said he had a gasket where the bulb screws in.
Very curious how that works.
I think I’ll do the updated suction tube on mine and if the results are satisfactory I’ll transfer it when I get a new cabinet.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 4:07pm
i Don't know anything about the sand blasters ya'll are talking about as i've never used one nor own one, but i see ya'll mention the vacs, "shop Vac" brand is out of business, I/m just passing this info along in case you will need parts for that brand, I dunno if other brands will interchange like filters and such.  
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 4:38pm
I have a plexiglass panel on the TOP... about 10" x 20" ......... I have two 60 watt LED daylight bulbs in a box setting On TOP of the panel... easy to change lights if needed-- no internal work.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I have a plexiglass panel on the TOP... about 10" x 20" ......... I have two 60 watt LED daylight bulbs in a box setting On TOP of the panel... easy to change lights if needed-- no internal work.

That makes sense to me.
I can’t imagine an incandescent bulb inside of the cabinet. Seems the fixture wouldn’t last.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

i Don't know anything about the sand blasters ya'll are talking about as i've never used one nor own one, but i see ya'll mention the vacs, "shop Vac" brand is out of business, I/m just passing this info along in case you will need parts for that brand, I dunno if other brands will interchange like filters and such.  

Actually, my "shop vac" is a Ridgid vacuum cleaner. 

I tend to call a lot of tools by the original names. 
Locking pliers are called Vise Grips.
Adjustable wrenches are Crescent wrenches.
Reciprocating saws are Sawzalls.

I'm betting I'm not alone on this.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 12:39pm

Hey,,,this here is a great subject as I love them bead/sand blasters. Being the "frugal" person I tend to be,,I made my own blaster patterned after the five ZERO Blast N PEEN units we had at work that use the suction tube design for media transfer. My cabinet is 48"long and 30" deep and 30" high in front sloping to 24" at back of cabinet. I used a 12" X 24" plexiglas view window that is only FU I done as it has to be changed from inside,,,,!!! I bought their newest design suction tube and gun bout 2 years ago and they  work many wonderfuls,! I been thinking bout a foot feed but will when I start using it more often.
 Hey Thad,,I haven't looked at the HF ones, but if your cabinet is OK, I would use the money to get quality parts that will make a better machine for you,,,ain't nuttin MORE AGGRAVATING that a sand blaster that keeps plugging up,,,!!!!   GRRrrrrrr
  I also buy all my blasting stuff from TP Tools,,,great quality and better service.

Edited by desertjoe - 29 Jun 2022 at 12:41pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Hey,,,this here is a great subject as I love them bead/sand blasters. Being the "frugal" person I tend to be,,I made my own blaster patterned after the five ZERO Blast N PEEN units we had at work that use the suction tube design for media transfer. My cabinet is 48"long and 30" deep and 30" high in front sloping to 24" at back of cabinet. I used a 12" X 24" plexiglas view window that is only FU I done as it has to be changed from inside,,,,!!! I bought their newest design suction tube and gun bout 2 years ago and they  work many wonderfuls,! I been thinking bout a foot feed but will when I start using it more often.
 Hey Thad,,I haven't looked at the HF ones, but if your cabinet is OK, I would use the money to get quality parts that will make a better machine for you,,,ain't nuttin MORE AGGRAVATING that a sand blaster that keeps plugging up,,,!!!!   GRRrrrrrr
  I also buy all my blasting stuff from TP Tools,,,great quality and better service.

Joe thank you for the information.
I’m going to order a complete upgrade kit from them.
If ever I upgrade my cabinet I’ll move the parts to the new cabinet.
Mine was originally a bench top. It has a V bottom not a pyramid and it is a pain to deal with media getting away from the pickup tube. I think I’ll take sheet metal and make it a pyramid.
The entire lid was plexiglass glass.
Of course it’s all blasted up so I cut a hole in it and made replaceable pieces of glass.
Glass guy at work cut me several for just a few dollars.
I have it mounted on a stand but I have to keep tipping it on end to keep the media where I need it.
The light doesn’t work and the gloves are shot.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2022 at 10:15pm

That's a great idea on changing to a cone btm, Thad, to keep the blast media workin it's way to a central point. Wouldn't be hard to modify your box with either 1/2" CDX or 1/8" metal sheet. I made mine that way and even with the sharp slope,,sometimes you have to tap the cone to get the media to go on down. I had "found a BIG industrial size vacuum at my "honey-hole" and placed it outside of shop. I cut a 3" hole in top corner of cabinet and routed a 3" flex hose from cabinet thru garage wall and outside to vacuum. One switch turns light and vacuum on when used. It works really well but most of credit goes to the pick-up tube and the gun design,,,both from TP Tools as well as the long gloves.ClapClap
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 11:23am
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

That's a great idea on changing to a cone btm, Thad, to keep the blast media workin it's way to a central point. Wouldn't be hard to modify your box with either 1/2" CDX or 1/8" metal sheet. I made mine that way and even with the sharp slope,,sometimes you have to tap the cone to get the media to go on down. I had "found a BIG industrial size vacuum at my "honey-hole" and placed it outside of shop. I cut a 3" hole in top corner of cabinet and routed a 3" flex hose from cabinet thru garage wall and outside to vacuum. One switch turns light and vacuum on when used. It works really well but most of credit goes to the pick-up tube and the gun design,,,both from TP Tools as well as the long gloves.ClapClap

I have also considered making the box bigger.
I can’t afford CDX or 1/8” flat. I’m a salvage metal from old refrigerators type guy.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 5:30pm
Trinco makes a great bead blast cabinet in several sizes. I have had one for years. They have spare parts for all of their models. You can't go wrong with them. JMHO Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 6:30pm
I converted my clamshell suction fed blast cabinet to pressure fed. It works much better and faster using a 100# blast pot and a pinch valve on the blast hose operated via foot pedal. 

Because of the impact force and fracturing of the media, it can usually only be reused once before too fine to work any longer. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic