This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on fixing a propane scissors lift starting!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on fixing a propane scissors lift starting!
    Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 4:19pm
My Snorkel lift has a M20 Kohler engine with a dual fuel system.  I do not have a manual and can not find one on the internet.  

It does not want to start when it is 90F or higher.  To get it running, I take off the air cleaner and give it some either.   Tanks are full.  Valves are open.   

In doing some reading, it states there is a filter that needs to be changed.   

I have attached an image below of the unit.   Does anyone know where the propane filter might be (in the beehive unit-regulator)?   What brand of is this?   Do I take off the top cover of this (with freezer gloves on) to get to this filter?

Please let me know your thoughts...thanks. 

Edited by nowaktj - 24 Jun 2022 at 4:23pm
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 4:39pm
First Off shut OFF the Propane before Do ANY repairs, second the equipment under the hood on that is close to forty years old.  You need to accumulate part numbers, series types on all the valves and the evaporator, see if can get tech manuals of any of it and parts lists for them.  Seriously doubt much of it will still be available but should equate to something still sold as for forklifts.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 5:20pm
IS there some type of "primer button" that gives it an extra SHOT of propane to start up ?

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2022 at 9:00pm
What brand is the lift, there is a rubber diaphragm in the lp regulator that can develop a pin hole size leak or just dry rot over time, might check that out. Had a condor brand for a few years, always had an issue as it was quite old and lots of folks always wanting to use it but never helping with repairs and upkeep, Was a day of celebration when it left the farm for good.
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 5:24am
It is a Snorkel 5000 scissors lift.

Here is a pic of the regulator vaporizer. There is no button on the diaphragm part.

Here is a listing of what I think some of my parts look like: https://www.ebay.com/itm/181144072964?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=RxTioHAgSLC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=6AE2ijspRsi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
D19D, D17D, WD, WC, Snobee, #83 Plow, SC Blade, 14' disk, 400 series planter, B , Terra Tiger, M Dozer w/Baker Blade, TL-12, 42S Grader, G
Riprock View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:01am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:13am
re: It does not want to start when it is 90F or higher

me neither !!!

OK... Do you need to run on propane or can you just use gas ? Getting real parts may be a problem and 'bodging' may affect  actual start/running of the engine.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:30am
Seeing a parts list does not help if company that made these is out of business.  Is there a Forklift Company anywhere near you?  The older guys that repair those may be able to tell where can acquire parts or what will interchange.  Our LP Providers used to do that but all the little guys were gobbled up by Corporations and have no service sector anymore, too little demand.
Riprock View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 6:40am
Still in business.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 1:42am
Dmiller was not referring to the LIFT manufacturer being 'out of business', he was referring to manufacturers of the LP fuel system equipment.   Even those brand names that exist today, are under the wing of companies far protracted from the original company of manufacture, with the name changing hands several times from before.

The result, is that parts and documentation support is usually discontinued, and the best option being replace all with modern units.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 5:21am
Thanks DaveK, absolutely correct.

Went thru that with the grain truck I remanned. The LP evaporator would leak so dug around until found a replacement as the OE supplier did not produce parts for the model anymore.
Ordered it off fleabay as no one else could reference the V8 GM values, and what I got was living on borrowed time NOS.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 5:55pm
is it a vapor burner or a liquid burner?
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 12:18am
His photos show one of the early air-heated BEAM regulator/evaporator/filter units and a 1601L fuel lockoff, so it's vapor withdrawl.

Beam still makes an air-heated vaporizer/regulator similar to that unit, but that unit was discontinued from production at least two-and-a-half decades ago.

The most sensible option, would be to replace the original BEAM converter/reg system and fuel controller in lieu of an IMPCO VFF30 and COBRA regulator.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
nowaktj View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nowaktj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2022 at 6:12am
Thanks guys for the excellent input. I will let you know what I end up doing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic