This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis CA starter motor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dgerth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis CA starter motor
    Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 5:06pm
Gentlemen, 
I have a CA pulling tractor, 248 cid, 13:1 cr. I have a starter that has been "reworked" for more torque etc. It will not turn the engine over reliably. Does anyone know of a reduction gear starter on the market for a CA or will a WD starter work? A WD starter motor measures the same as a CA starter except for the bendix. Do they, WD starters,  have more torque  and would there be an advantage in using one if possible ?
Tks guys, Dan
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 5:45pm
your using it on  12 volt battery ? ...  hard to believe a GOOD starter would not spin it over.... I think the "insides" of the WD starter are the same... different nose and gear on the front... no more torque.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2022 at 6:41pm
The "factory" WD starters use the same armature and field coils with a different drive and lock bolt orientation. So effectively no help to you.   
 The BIG inch engine I had in the CA was a bear to start. First off I had John Brillman www.brillman.com rebuild the CA starter housing and drive with ALL NEW 12 volt parts, making it a "true" 12 volt starter. This slows down the freewheel speed and does give it more torque. Even then it took a NEW STRONG batter with heavy cables. The after a year I had to move that battery to a "farm" tractor and get another NEW one for the puller. Just throwing 12 volts at a 6 volt starter doesn't cut it against big cubes and hi-compression. 
  I've looked all over for an Delco starter that had the M&W gear reduction installed between the motor housing and the drive housing, to no avail so far. If you find one, the reduction gears and housing could be installed into the CA starter. 
  You could possibly get one of those Hi-Torque starters for a W_ tractor and relocate the lock bolt hole so the the motor is oriented to fit into the CA. then it may not clear the gas tank dimple. 
  John Had told me that he could "build" a starter using the nose cone and CA drive gear with a DENSO motor and it would be costly. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2022 at 11:14pm
i was at my local generator shop getting 12v feild coils for my c starter a few weeks ago and he showed a gear reduction starter in there catalogs but i think it was for the wd wd45 engines
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic