This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Little tear drop travel trailers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Little tear drop travel trailers
    Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 11:18pm
Yes I know they are ugly. I don't need the heavy toy hauler, the golf cart, or the motor home to travel to flea markets. Does anybody have 1 and how bad do you hate it? Or like it? I see 4 new ones at a trailer sales place on I80. I've got a farm payment coming in the first of next week. I was hoping to find a slightly used 1 but havnt seen anything. Might be too early. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 1:58am
considering you can buy a pretty bigger camper with room to stand/stretch/sleep/sit regular,go to the bathroom,  lots cheaper than one of the tear drop ones....just think...you just walked thru wet/muddy/snowy/other dirty conditions and you want to enter your trailer, you drag all that dirt with you unless you take your shoes off outside and climb in, might still be raining outside, whatcha gonna do with your shoes? leave them outside? try to change clothes laying down.  usually the kitchen is outside in the rear, it's raining and you hafta go out, do your cooking or even get to the food/drink, go back in, taking shoes off and putting back on each way, them things are for nimble young folks that wanna climb rocks. at least in a bigger unit you can leave your shoes on the steps inside! can't even drink a beer in comfort in one of them! lol...just thinking while typing this, they would hafta be a cargo trailer to carry my tent and other supplies! 
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 11:55am
I agree with Shameless Dude. Two years ago We bought a 24 foot 1997 5th wheel for 2700 dollars. It is in very nice shape. No Slide out. I think you will be happier with something like that.
Pastor Mike
Deep River Iowa
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 12:47pm
guy up the road gave away an 8' slide in camper. yeah old BUT upgraded and REAL CLEAN.

I don't understand the people(are they 'real' ) that put 40-50-70K into a 'tiny home' when you can buy a 'travel trailer' already BUILT on the same frame, for far less.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 2:22pm
Price gas at your local station. Base your decision off that.
If it takes an 8mpg one ton to pull it I might look at something different.
Some of those new teardrops are very cool and big enough to stand up in.

Edited by Thad in AR. - 05 Mar 2022 at 2:23pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 2:25pm
neighbour bought an 'offroad' version last year...
$43,000 Canucks !!! I can't stand up or lay down in it without 'reorganising it' like a game of Tetris....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 3:11pm
I started out with a 77 pickup slide in, I'd sit it on my gooseneck and called it the Ozark Airstream, I was the only guy in deer camp with a 20foot deck, Then went to a 1988 Carilite, 30 ft 5th wheel with no slides, after we retired we sold it and bought a 32 foot Sunnybrook with one super slide & a bedroom slide, we just got back from 5 weeks on the gulf, plenty big for the two of us, I think you'll get way more use out of something like that over a tin can trailer, and the price?? Just look around you'll find one for a good price, we bought this Sunnybrook from a couple that lived in it while they were building their home so it had next to no miles on it, all they wanted was the bank payoff so there are deals out there, there is the truck & fuel to consider. This Sunnybrook weighs about 12k loaded, I have a dually F350 that pulls it right on down the street usually getting 10 to 11 mpg at 65 mph, now kick it up to 75 mph and it drops to 7.5 mpg. All in all I'd look around & find one that has plenty of room in it.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 6:15pm
I have already begun the searches for a reasonably newer toy hauler fifth wheel.  As the KW completes the purchase of that would be next and I won't buy a new one.  Can have minimal slides, basic accommodations and accessories but not really wanting elaborate or huge.  Looked into the Tiny RVs several years ago, could not ever find one did not require having a shower facility nearby for the park rentals and so little room would mean shopping nearly every stop for just essentials as well the Smallish area that does get claustrophobic rather quickly. 

If looking just to go smaller, Airstream for several years has marketed a Single Axle full accoutrement unit that many are quite satisfied of.

Edited by DMiller - 05 Mar 2022 at 6:16pm
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 7:31pm
I stopped by and looked at them today. One look was enough. Taint gonna happen here. They are made for a younger crowd. Guys its just me now. They have a 16' unit weighing 2300 lbs empty. $15000.00 American bucks. I think i want something in that weight range. If I do find a used 1, I will sure as heck get rid of those stupid 18" truck tires and ugly rims they come with now. The decent thing about this, it will be used for the trade show, flea market, car show circuit. Accountant says I can depreciate it out.   I'm gonna look for a decent used one.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 7:51pm
I don’t get the tear drop desire either, but to each his/her own.
I will stay with my 35ft class A motorhome.
When its time for the Mrs. and I to be engaged in ‘marital privileges’ we like lots of room, you know swing from the chandelier, shower together(gotta conserve water you know). A little tear drop would crimp our style.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 05 Mar 2022 at 7:51pm
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 8:06pm
There's a lot to consider when buying one, keep in mind a 5th wheel is going to be a lot easier to get around and the give you so much extra room inside, you can easily convert the 5th wheel to a gooseneck & not have the 5th wheel in your way.Both of mine are converted to a gooseneck Also if you plan on using it year round your probably going to want the artic package. Honestly I would look long and hard for a good used one,I can't think of anything that depreciates faster than a new camper. Lot of things to consider, we have a couple of real good service/dealers fairly close to us and that is a huge help.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 7:44am
One of the characters I work with has a Buddy (And YES I do know that is but HALF a Word) that deals in Used RVs, he is supposed to be getting me his number and address but have not bumped into each other for awhile.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 3:15pm
A few years back I was thinking of getting a trailer. searched through many models including teardrops.  The unit I found most interesting was called Ascape.  Available with all amenities, small, lightweight,  but still big enough to stand up in.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 9:41pm
WE had a 28 ft 5th wheel when the kids were smaller and it was great with an F250...... That being said, for what TOM needs i think a 16- 20 ft pull behind would do the trick.. If you could find a used one for $4000. that would be GREAT... but even the NEW on at $15K is not out of reach.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 11:58pm
our dogs travel with us...(2-labs and 2-goldens) and the fifth wheel...nu-wa 34 ft, we bought about 6-7 years ago has a full wall slide, and that gives us alot of room inside even with them bed hogs in there with us! i moved the recliner a bit and now have a large table for the old lady....ooooops....i mean the loving wife to have her sewing machine and room for her to lay out her creations! before that was a 36 ft motorhome with 2 goldens/an irish setter/ and a collie. no slides and was kinda cramped. before that was a class C with a dodge chassis, and 2 collies/2 labs. that WAS very tight! before that was a conversion van with 2 collies/a lab/and a golden...you can imagine how that was! i think the one i liked the best was the class A motorhome, but almost gotta have another vehicle along. we pulled a small front wheel drive on a car tote. i'm not worried about gas/diesel consumptions, we bought these units to get away and after you figger prices of other modes of transportation, motel/hotel rooms, eating out everywhere (no food prep) and other costs like car rentals, no bathrooms close by, places that charge extra for pets, people that sell their cars to buy tickets to a football game ??? WTF??? currently we pull the fifth wheel with a 3/4 pickup with a 454 gasser. it's no worse on milage than a smaller motor as it doesn't hafta work very hard to pull the trailer.   i've been looking for a cargo trailer, something in can haul my golf cart/grill/smoker around to the GOTO's and other farm related shows. i have a genny i can mount in the box of the truck, i can put an a/c unit on the trailer and also a bed and porta potty. might even put in a beer cooler! (ya'll hafta bring yer own chairs!) what ever ya'll chose, give it alot of thought, and like said above...there are deals out there, just gotta be patient, check auctions...i've seen alot of them go for cheap on them.  
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 6:27pm
Shameless, I wish we wuz closer. I've got a trailer like your a talking about. 16 or 18', ramp gate. Built in LP burning Genny, furnace, fold down bed, sink in the front, refrigerator, wired for 110, freezer, new tires 2 years ago, new spare tire and rim. Air conditioned. No crapper. It weighs over 5000 lb empty so it ain't no cheap unit. Tie downs in the floor. Flat front trailer, no roof leaks.   We got it because she could not get up the steps in the motor home. We hauled the goof cart so she could get around at the shows. Her legs, lungs, and heart were bad, it was a difficult last 4 years for her. I'm gonna sell it later this spring or early summer. Lights and brake all work.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:13pm
i might look you up on that trailer Tom....what size ball?
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 4:42pm
Similar style to what has caught my eye, EX Race Car trailers with Living Quarters.  Full RV quality in Front, LOW Slung for easier Car access yet still great Ground Clearance, Heavier Axles(Some had 3) 4500-7000# eight lug, room for a Full Size Car in back and most seen were IMMACULATE as to Clean.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2022 at 7:39pm
2" ball, trailer will come with a anti sway hitch. This was bought as a cargo trailer. What is inside was made out of oak lumber in our shop here. I can't remember for sure, I think I replaced the wheel bearings when I originally worked on it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 2:08am
can you post me sum pics? i are interested!
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 9:20pm
Shameless, I can't post pictures on here. If you can pm me your phone number, I will get the grandson to send you some tomorrow.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 2:58am
i don't get texting, would that interfear getting the pics?
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 7:54am
Originally posted by 200Tom1 200Tom1 wrote:

Shameless, I can't post pictures on here. If you can pm me your phone number, I will get the grandson to send you some tomorrow.
 Tom, I PM you
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 11:25pm
Shameless I forgot to take pictures today. I got involved with sorting out income taxes, delivering honey to the local grocery stores, getting stuff rounded up to take to my 99 year old moms tomorrow. If my dang old forgetful brain works tomorrow I will get them to you.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2022 at 2:29am
thanks!
CelestineDajun View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CelestineDajun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 7:44am
Travel trailers are great for long trips. They save you money because you don't need to make hotel reservations. As for me, I wouldn't say I like to travel in such trailers. I prioritize comfort and good accommodations. Thanks to https://hoopladoopla.com/category/travel, I do not spend much money on hotels. In any case, it is always possible to find a cheap option for an overnight stay. When I was a student, I virtually had no money for travel. The desire to explore the world was stronger than all the problems. So I slept in hostels and hitchhiked. The most important thing is your desire.

Edited by CelestineDajun - 29 Jun 2022 at 10:29am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2022 at 5:05pm
Tom...you ever get them pics taken?
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 7:25pm
Make sure there is room for a bed that sleeps 12 for when you arrive at  those "specialized" campsites.

Edited by Walker - 26 Jun 2022 at 7:26pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2022 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

neighbour bought an 'offroad' version last year...
$43,000 Canucks !!! I can't stand up or lay down in it without 'reorganising it' like a game of Tetris....

Ouch, why are you "reorganizing" in your neighbor's trailer Confused ??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic