This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone near Mishawaka IN. see

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone near Mishawaka IN. see
    Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:22pm
Did anyone near Mishawaka, In. see the FedEx truck hanging its trailer off the bridge over some RR tracks today? I saw it on the national news. I wonder if the driver was a former SWIFT driver that went big time and became one of FedEx's owner-operators? In the last 20 years or so as I've travelled around, if there's a wreck tying up traffic, more often than not, a FedEx truck is involved. Someone is not going to be getting their package on time. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:05pm
Was it a set of doubles? Fed Ex Ground?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:41pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:43pm
GRANGER — Icy roads reportedly caused a FedEx semitrailer to nearly fall off an overpass along the Indiana Toll Road on Wednesday morning. 

The east-bound tractor-trailer slid off the overpass shortly before 9 a.m. as it neared mile marker 84 in Granger with the trailer slipping over the edge of the interstate and nearly falling onto a set of railroad tracks near Currant Road. 

According to Indiana State Police Sgt. Ted Bohner, a car driving east in front of the truck lost its traction and began skidding, causing the semitrailer driver to swerve in response.

Outdoor Adventures:Time for boats, LaPorte Winterfest, icy hikes, vintage snowmobiles

"The problem this morning has been icy bridge decks and there was several slide-offs and crashes near the 83-84 mile marker," Bohner said. "The truck was going eastbound and slid on the slick bridge deck and went over the edge there.

Morpar55 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morpar55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 6:14am
I'm guessing it was a pucker factor of about 8.7 for the driver! Shocked
1959 AC D17 Gas with some updates
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 2:09pm
Too fast for conditions and following too close. Standard answer...but true. His ABS didn't save his(her) a$$ did it?

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 27 Jan 2022 at 2:11pm
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2022 at 10:01pm
maybe he thought that’s how you transfer the cargo to the rr 
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2022 at 1:27pm
Moved from that area last summer.  A sign often seen, says "Bridges Freeze Before Roads".  He must've missed the sign...

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2022 at 6:22pm
[QUOTE=GSTROM99]
Moved from that area last summer.  A sign often seen, says "Bridges Freeze Before Roads".  He must've missed the sign...

[/QUOTE
The roads were VERY frozen "here" that morning , ALL OF THEM ConfusedConfused. Do the bridges freeze different in Iowa ClapClap ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 29 Jan 2022 at 6:26pm
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 9:15am
Nope.  I was driving around some relatives visiting from Florida, back in Illinois awhile back and they had never seen that sign and didn't understand. 
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 10:41am
Objects in mirrors are closer than they appear.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 11:21am
Steering wheel holders
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

[QUOTE=GSTROM99]

[/QUOTE
The roads were VERY frozen "here" that morning , ALL OF THEM ConfusedConfused. Do the bridges freeze different in Iowa ClapClap ??

If there's no frost line bridges freeze very different, if there a frost line, no sun, below freezing temp not much different, if there's a frost line, sun, below freezing some difference depending on highway surface and kind of bridge, if there's a frost line, sun, above freezing they again freeze different as tempature falls.  I've never been through Iowa in the winter that I remember but I'll take a safe guess and say 75% time they freeze different just like those here in KS. Wink

Also that type of bridge in the picture would probably freeze different 90% of the time.

Out here on these narrow sharp curved high banked two lanes the curves freeze very different depending on sun shade and wind hit direction.

Edited by Kansas99 - 30 Jan 2022 at 12:14pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2022 at 12:27pm
I have seen on more than one occasion a empty bull rack straight behind the tractor going around a high banked curve, not the best thing you want to see looking in your mirror.  It's never happened to me but I was told that the best defensive driving you can do when you see your trailer straight behind you at speed going around a curve is just look straight ahead and pretend you didn't look in your mirror.Wink

Years ago I took some cattle to the feedlot out west of Sublette and a friend was driving one of the rigs.  Needless to say the wind was getting pretty nasty out of the north that day and when coming back empty trucks turned east at Garden City on 156, nonetheless about 10 miles later my friend called and asked what he should do because the wind just picked is 4 drivers off the ground on the drivers side.  Well what do you do but tell them keep on coming because it really doesn't matter unless all eight drivers are off the ground. LOL Ermm

Edited by Kansas99 - 30 Jan 2022 at 12:30pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

I have seen on more than one occasion a empty bull rack straight behind the tractor going around a high banked curve, not the best thing you want to see looking in your mirror.  It's never happened to me but I was told that the best defensive driving you can do when you see your trailer straight behind you at speed going around a curve is just look straight ahead and pretend you didn't look in your mirror.Wink

Years ago I took some cattle to the feedlot out west of Sublette and a friend was driving one of the rigs.  Needless to say the wind was getting pretty nasty out of the north that day and when coming back empty trucks turned east at Garden City on 156, nonetheless about 10 miles later my friend called and asked what he should do because the wind just picked is 4 drivers off the ground on the drivers side.  Well what do you do but tell them keep on coming because it really doesn't matter unless all eight drivers are off the ground. LOL Ermm 
This section of the "TOLL ROAD" is a STRAIGHT section for 2 miles west and 5 miles east  SmileSmile

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2022 at 9:56pm
YEP... You cant slide on an ICY BRIDGE if it is STRAIGHT... Everyone knows that !!!  Wink   LOL   LOL

I thought most of his STUPID comments were on the Saturday Night Bender... Now its slid into Tuesdays ???  Cry

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Feb 2022 at 9:57pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 5:39pm
I was informed this afternoon that the "ROOT CAUSE" of the semi debacle was caused by a VERY erratic lane jumper/ tail gater / snout cutter Geek. Seeing's the vehicle's were "EAST BOUND", MY $$ is on the problem caused by a "FIP" Wink !!
Motorcyclist's do the same , but it was a little too chilly for them at that point in time Embarrassed. Let me know Stevie if you can't figure the acronym out 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2022 at 10:43pm
"you were informed"..... You get that off FACEBOOK ?  ........LOL   Hug

Tow trucks were sent to remove the truck from the overpass while east-bound toll road traffic was at a standstill. The overpass was reopened by mid-afternoon.

Near zero-degree temperatures and icy bridge decks caused multiple accidents in the same area Wednesday morning, state police said.

Edited by steve(ill) - 02 Feb 2022 at 10:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic