This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Almost lost $6,500 to a Scammer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Almost lost $6,500 to a Scammer
    Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 10:32am
Been looking at equipment trailers to haul tractors and skidsteers when needed.  Found a nice Doolittle 22' bumper pull on FB marketplace.  2 1/2 hour drive but the price was fair, the trailer was what I wanted and guy said he had "clear title".  
Made the drive, liked the trailer, said "I'd take it".  His wife hops out of the truck with the "paperwork".  Turns out he'd bought it a year ago but never titled it in his name.  Told me he was a "dealer" and the title was a "dealer to dealer" transfer between him and the previous Trailer company and that they weren't required to re-title in their name.
Fortunately I hit the pause button and took my time studying the title and thinking it through.  The more I looked at the title, the more it looked like a color copy (forged) title and it still had the name of Trailer Company on the front;  they basically had zero proof of ownership.
Said no thanks and hopped in the truck for the 2 1/2 ride back home questioning whether I'd done the right thing.
A quick google search when I got back home and discovered that not registering a title after purchase and then trying to resell is called "Title Jumping" and is illegal in every State!  I would have never been able to re-title the trailer in my name, been out my money and not been able to legally use the Trailer.
Got to be careful out there!
D17 Series 1
Allis B- 1939
Allis B- 1945
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 11:38am
you need to POST that info (NO CLEAR TITLE ) on whatever FB ad the guy has to make others aware of the SCAM, also inform cops in his neck of the woods, maybe DMV ?
The faster ,more people KNOW about the scammer, the sooner he's dealt with.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 3:13pm
you did the right thing Scott. trailers are the easiest units to fudge off to non-suspecting people. some states require a title and some don't, it is getting better all the time, soon all states will be the same. 
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 5:06pm
Good job!!!  I wished every body would do this or at least know what to do and not take the great deal.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 5:47pm
You did a great job in walking away! NOW report the guys to the law, NOT to facebook because they are on the take as well as the scammers they allow on there!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:27pm
Chalk up another mark in the - side for dealing on flakebook.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic