This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this Red Thing ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this Red Thing ?
    Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 4:42am
I know what the orange thing in the foreground is; it's the red thing behind it that I am curious about.

This is on a huge grain farm, so I figure it has something to do with grain.

I also see electrical circuit breakers mounted on it; that puzzles me even more.

What is it; what does it do; and, how does it do it ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 4:55am
Looks like a corn cleaner, to me.  Generally, it was a blower that blows chaff and cob dust out of corn. You use it between the combine and the dryer, to clean up combined corn before it enters the dryer, then storage...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:21am
I agree with Dave. I think it’s a pre-bin grain cleaner.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:38am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Looks like a corn cleaner, to me.  Generally, it was a blower that blows chaff and cob dust out of corn. You use it between the combine and the dryer, to clean up combined corn before it enters the dryer, then storage...Wink

Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

I agree with Dave. I think it’s a pre-bin grain cleaner.

That makes sense; thanks.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:39am
When people had All-Crops they weren't needed. As combines got bigger and were operated faster, the grain became trashier.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 7:39am
No blower. The whole drum spins and there are two sets of screens. Set at angle so gravity moves grain and foreign material across the screens
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 8:35am
I have seen a similar device that was used to separate fishing worms from their worm castings. Not sure about this one though.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

No blower. The whole drum spins and there are two sets of screens. Set at angle so gravity moves grain and foreign material across the screens
This is your answer....
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 3:08pm
they are still used if grain is harvested with green combines. local elevators use theirs all the time.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:19pm
When I take a load of grain to the elevator, I have to sit in line for hours.

When I get within a couple trucks of the probes, I must roll the tarp off.

When it comes my turn, I pull under these huge robotic arms that probe the entire load of grain; I don't think they leave a grain untouched.

There is a girl up in a tower that is controlling these probes.

It takes forever before they are satisfied and give the green light to proceed onto the inbound scales and then over the pit to dump, then back on the outbound  scales, then into the office to pick up the check.

The amount you are paid is determined by what these probes find; even if the grain is contracted for a higher price, if the probes find reason to dock that price, then the check will reflect that.

I had no idea whatsoever what that red device was; but, I can see where it could be advantageous if a person were repeatedly docked for trashy grain.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 6:25pm
Just think of the amount of trash in a 1,000 bushel load. It can really add up if you're hauling all that trash a considerable distance. Yep, the grain elevator docks you for the trash then sells it for filler in feed. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2022 at 9:40pm
Am also of the belief that clean grain stores better and if feeding livestock, the screenings can be used as feed rather than sending it out with the load and getting docked for it
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 4:12am
My Dad's cousin back in the '60's started hauling grain into the grain elevators and he would be docked for his loads. He started cleaning the grain running it through a screener and had no trash at all and had bought the most accurate moisture tester there was and had it right on the percentage point the elevator wanted the grain at.  Well, he still got No.2 price for it... He asked what does it take to get number 1 price? And the elevator rep said that Number one price was reserved for the elevator when they sold it.  So he asked them what the percentage of trash was allowed on Number 2 corn and they said so much, ( I don't remember what value it was for the trash), but he looked at the moisture tester they had at the dump and he bought one just like it and then started combining wet corn and mix in the dry corn just enough to still get number two corn without getting docked... and the fellows couldn't make as much money off his loads after that by mixing it into the trashy wet corn that came. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 5:09am
There was a guy when I was young that had a portable unit . He’d go farm to farm to clean seed wheat.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 5:29am
Had me guessing guys, never seen such a contraption, then again I've ran a Gleaner for yearsWink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 6:53am
sigh, me, the nonfarmer KNEW what is was, 3 decades ago. Thought I could repurpose one into a 'compost sifter'...never did and now, have no need since I sold next door.
Have to ask what's the 'green' thing behind the red thing behind the orange thing ??
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 7:27am
Batwing mower?
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:14am
And I think it might be a articulating green thing behind that green thing that’s behind the red thing just behind that orange thing.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:23am
The orange thing appears to be a reporter for cnn
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

Had me guessing guys, never seen such a contraption, then again I've ran a Gleaner for yearsWink

That may be why I had no idea what it was; we run older A-C Gleaners.

We tried one John Deere and it had electrical problems from the get-go until it burned to the ground.

Had two of the I-H kind where if the engine dies you lose everything, including brakes and steering = not a wise choice for steep Kentucky ground.
Bought them super-cheap; didn't get a week into the season with either.
One of them went into a holler and flipped; the other one rolled backwards out-of-control and broke the frame in two when it hit the gully at the bottom.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 9:13am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Have to ask what's the 'green' thing behind the red thing behind the orange thing ??

Next in line behind the red machine are two John Deere "Batwing" mowers; first is a HX20 and second is a HX15.

I have photos of a MX20 that to my eye looks identical to the HX20; anyone know what the difference is ?

Until the batwing MX20, I thought all of the MX__ were 3-point-hitch single-gearbox cutters.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 9:16am
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

The orange thing appears to be a reporter for cnn

It may very well be; however, I have two other conflicting reports from what I have always deemed to be reliable sources; one says it is a "Politician" and the other claims it is most definitely a "Hearse".
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:32pm
i started screening corn after the 2nd year we used a grain bin on the farm. we were docked from the fines that flowed out into the trucks from the center of the bin. we also found out it was a good thing to screen the grain going into the bins as the less fines that clogged up air flow thru the grain...thus better and cheaper by not using as much electric/gas. in a few problem fields i left the solid covers on the elevators of the combine, putting the weed seed into the grain tank, lots less chemicals were needed in those fields the next year. the weed seed was screened out at the bin, and was used to feed poultry, they ate the weed seed just as good as the grain fines.  when a local feed mill found out i screened all my grain, they made offers to buy my grain over others and always gave me a better price than the others and always over the market prices. having a screener was a win/win. of course you don't learn all this in just a few years, have to keep track of what's happening each year, no one is gonna tell you about any benefits of this, elevators don't want you cutting into their profits!  
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:47pm
Don't quote me on this I did't look it up but I think no2 corn is 15% moisture 3% damage and 5% foreign material. Unless you really have some issues any combine should be able to be set to get that. Screening the corn does help with keeping corn in bins. When you load a truck for the elevator it makes a difference in where you drop the corn as to where the fines and trash gather to help get a better sample, The wind can sometimes mess with that plan. The more times you auger corn the more fines you create, and some corn breaks up easier. Usually a good hard high test weight corn handles better, the lighter test weight corns break apart a little more but now guys are finding that type of corn better for feeding as it is more digestible.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 2:23pm
  I might be wrong but I also think the elevators sell the screenings as bird feed
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

I might be wrong but I also think the elevators sell the screenings as bird feed

Burkman Mills of Danville, Kentucky, has a huge branch in Bowling Green, KY, that is strictly for producing bird seed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic