This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tractor Chains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tractor Chains
    Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 8:57am
Finally did it. First time in my life I installed a set of tractor chains.....getting ready for winter. Had been putting it off, following the logic of the old Ozarks hillbilly and fixing his leaky roof. If its raining, that is no time to get on a roof. And if its not raining, the roof isn't leaking so no need to fix it.

So this was put into motion about 3 years ago.......when we got about 20 inches of snow in one night. Tractor is a Ford 5610 2WD with bucket loader on the front. Figured it would be slow going, but would do the job. Major fail! Got about 15 feet out of the barn and came to a dead stop.......wouldn't go forward or back. Took me nearly 10 minutes of pushing myself backwards with the bucket to get it back into the barn. But even with most of the snow cleared by neighbor's little Kubota......was helpless on the hard packed snow. So ordered a set of chains for it. Double H pattern for 30 inch tires.

Chains this big weigh about 100 pounds a side....so putting them on by draping them over the top was going to be a big deal so kept putting it off. Cost me again last hear when we got about 7 inches with more coming that needed clearing. Even with that, tractor was borderline helpless. So this year, chains were going on no matter what. The question was how.

Lifting and draping like I've seen done with truck chains was a no go. Then considered the trick where you put a bottle jack under the axle and roll them on. Still a big deal. Then discovered the trick where you lay them out on the ground, tie the ends to tire through the hub with piece of baler twin.....and drive them on. Pulled them right up and over....tight....no slack......and held in perfect position to lock the ends together. Whole job took about an hour. So even if they are never needed, not a wasted effort.

Figured it was easier to do on a day when sun was shining and 70 degrees out vs. waiting until the snow was flying.

Second part was a modification to the blade itself, which tends to dig and scalp the driveway or any grass. New trick for that was to install a piece of 2" schedule 80 PVC pipe on it. Cut a slit down the edge, and slipped it (More like pounded it on with great difficulty). The pipe puts a large radius edge on the blade......which works perfect. Pinches the snow to pop it up.....yet skims over gravel....grass or concrete. Only problem is in cold weather, PVC gets brittle and shatters at first hint of trouble. Changed that out to schedule 40 steel pipe.....held in place by tangs welded to back and bolted in place, and it has become a snow moving marvel.

So locked, loaded and ready. With any luck, will never get to use it.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 12:27pm
dang, you get SNOW is Missouri ???
I didn't think 'his' machine got that far !!!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 12:37pm
Been out here about 6 years now. First 3 years.....barely had to shovel the walks. Next year.........BAM! One event.....about 20 inches.....week later, another foot. Since then......one to two events a year that would warrant pushing it off. When it's deep enough spousal unit's car won't budge, I hear about it. And along the lines of "mind is willing....but the body is weak"......frustrating to be sitting on a tractor that is running......but can't get enough traction to push over a domino.

Snow removal effort has evolved into mine, driveway across the road and elderly neighbor's next door.

Good news is that while we may get dumped on......will seldom last more than a couple weeks. Goes to -15 F, but doesn't stay there forever.

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 1:51pm
BTW, since I'm new at this, and have access to people with experience........what is the bst way to go?

Get chains as tight as you can get them......or leave a little slack so they can work themselves into best position? These did not come with an outside tension adjuster, so have ordered a pair....spiderweb kind made of chain with springs on them. Goes on outside of the hub.

One thing I was concerned about was tire chains wapping the crap out of my fenders. About 2 years ago, moved tires out about 4 inches to gain some clearance, bus was still concerned about the tails flapping around. Seem to have that under control.

Made one trip up the driveway and back (about 100 yards).....I can see this is not a high speed operation. Ride was pretty bumpy.

Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 1:58pm
I put mine on three weeks ago its had to install them after it snows. I lift one end and put on center of tire stretch out the rest straight and drive the tractor foward. takes me about 30 minutes. I also put the cab windows back in I remove them in the summer.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 1:58pm
Have them on my riding snowblower(22HP Craftsman/Berco blower). I get them tight, then use bungie cords to take up the slack,weaving the bungie in a kindaof 5 point cross cause the bungies kinda long.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 2:20pm
Jay is correct, get them on as tight as you can and start running bungee cords on the outside starting at the top pull it down to 6 then go back to 2 o'clock, start the next one about 4 o'clock over to about 10 o'clock keep going until you have even steady tension all the way around, you would not believe how fast and how much damage a loose chain can do.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 3:52pm
If you can't lift them onto the tire. lay then out flat behind the tractor, drive onto them, STOP, then tie them to the tire and drive further until you have them wrapped around to where they will meet. NO lifting at all. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:13pm
I have put tire chains on a 170 with 18.4-28 tires and lengthened that set so that they fit the 18.4 -30 tires on my 185. I ave a 8 foot bucket on the 185 and you get it full of wet snow and can't back up! Tire chains make all of the difference. I string mine out and drive the tractor over them. Then take a ratchet strap and pull them tight. I use tarp straps to keep tension on the outside to keep them from jumping off. I have found you have to drive around fo awhile to get them set and tightened up.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 6:38pm
Keep checking them once they are on. You may have to adjust them after you drive it around a little. Do that before the snow comes. No fun looking for stuff in the snow and cold....
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
1951WDNWWI View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1951WDNWWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 10:13pm
The PVC pipe over the cutting edge is a nice ideal until it shatters in the cold. Running chucks of plastic thru a snowblower, boot or tire is no fun.  A slotted steel pipe with a bolt at each end to keep it on last longer.  

Edited by 1951WDNWWI - 03 Dec 2021 at 10:13pm
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 6:41am
Why PVC?  Slit black iron pipe with a plasma cutter.

Even in the snow and cold tire chains are a 15-20 minute job.  Jack up tractor toss then over wiggle them tight, secure the latch, bolt the tail and your good to go.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 6:55am
On stone driveways w/blade, I always push the snow off first in reverse. Then if really packed tight and iced over, use the depth control and set about 3-4” and drag off at what ever angle I can get by with. This helps with the less stones in the yard. That’s with a 175/185 and a stout 8ft power adjust blade, good for a few feet. Very rarely need to use the loader.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 7:00am
My chains are still hanging, usually if need them will go to barn, plug in block heater and install as engine warms, makes it easier both ways as take awhile to warm the old cold 180.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 8:40pm
On the smaller 16" tires, I jacked up whatever I was putting chains on and let the air out of the tires.  Installed the chains and refilled the tires.  The difference in size change tightened them up real nice.  With rear tractor tires, especially with fluid, that might not be a good decision. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

On the smaller 16" tires, I jacked up whatever I was putting chains on and let the air out of the tires.  Installed the chains and refilled the tires.  The difference in size change tightened them up real nice.  With rear tractor tires, especially with fluid, that might not be a good decision. 

I do the same thing even with 18.4x38 on the 8030, turn valve stem up to the top and let some air out tighten chain re air tire
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 9:57pm
i hate putting chains on anything!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:13pm
Sheesh, if I didn’t do the kind of stuff that was a no go and big deal, I wouldn’t get much done.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 5:02am
I just turn the blade around and shorten the top link. Does pretty well up to about a foot of snow. Have to put the chains on if it is that bad. If I have to put the chains on they stay on. I hate putting them on. I can go through anything though. 14.9-28 I let some air out too and use ratchet straps to keep from ripping the fenders off. Have the wheels pulled in to 6' OD and the blade is a 7'. It can still pull me off in ditch even with the chains on but not near as bad.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 11:00am
Epilogue:

So dodged the bullet for Dec and Jan......then comes Feb. Groundhog day......we get nearly a foot of snow spread out over 24 hours. Started as an ice storm.....then an inch of sleet that looked like something what fell out of a snow cone.......then started as wet snow......then dry powder blowing sideways at 30 mph. I've got 3' drifts in places I've never seen drift.

So patches of driveway to clear that were blown bare to 18" deep. Chains are the bomb! There were a couple places they stalled out.....(uphill on ice moving a heavy load)......but by and large, they got the job done in some rough conditions where in past without them,  tractor (2WD with loader making it front heavy) would come to a full stop and not be able to move forward or back. As easy as it was to put them on........gonna be an annual event come Late Nov.

Second part......I put a piece of 2" diameter schedule 40 steel pipe on the blade. Cut a slit down the edge.....slipped it over the blade edge.......it is then held in place by some two tabs welded on........to mate up with the blade bolts.

That is the only way to roll. Weight of the blade will pinch snow up from the ground, but round radius of the pipe will not dig. Does not move gravel, scratch cement or cut grass. Drop it to the ground and go.

Prototypes were PVC. They were supposed to be durable but weren't. They would shatter after about 10 minutes. Steel pipe is the way to go.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 11:30am
My little baby sitting warm and cozy after use

No edge cover just drop down until touching then raise in bumps until tension on lift arms and blade acts to be dangling, All Good.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 11:43am
Backed the tractor into a shed what runs the length of the barn the long way.......bucket about 3 feet inside shed opening........and I still had an inch of powder on the seat. Goofy powder that blew into all kinds of places. Looked like it had been parked outside, but wasn't.

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 11:46am
Yet another discovery........tractor has a factory installed electric block heater. Plugged that into a GFI outlet and it tripped out instantly.......first time......every time.

Plugged into a non GFI outlet, it worked without tripping breaker. Would be curious to see that heater circuit diagrammed out.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 12:49pm
   I guess the more cold & snow is what they want to call Global Warming
GeneD14 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 1:36pm
When we lived in MI: I plowed snow on a gravel drive with my D14, chains, wheel weights and a Woods rear blade reversed. It work perfect. 
When we concreted part of the drive I bolted a 6" strip of thick rubber over the cutting edge, so the concrete wouldn't get all scratched up.
Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic