This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC HD5G neutral and reverse only help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbkaiser396 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC HD5G neutral and reverse only help!
    Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 10:19am
Hello all, new to the forum. I have a 1950's AC HD5G crawler loader. I've been using the machine pretty regularly around my farm and other than some fluid leaks and hoses, I haven't had any major issues until the other day. I was using the machine and now out of no where the transmission only shifts back and forth between neutral and low reverse. I can not get the machine to shift into any other gears. I removed the shifter and all the pivot points and the end of the shifter seem to be in good shape. I tried using a bar to massage the slides into any other gear but it will not budge. It seems as though the slides are hung up on something internal. If any one has any other quick fixes or ideas of what may have happened, I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you all.
Sponsored Links

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 11:39am
Maybe the transmission have  1 broken fork or a  broken spring shifting shaft ball and these spring are on side transmission same side the inspection plate and you need to removed the cap screw and take care the spring and ball could going on flore
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 1:25pm
I wonder if you had a bearing come apart. Many times the the top bearing goes first and drops balls that get hung up on things. Many times causing the case to split.

Years ago looking for shifter linkage parts, a experienced mechanic advised me to replace that top bearing as you could do it without removing the transmission.I did and got lucky when  bearing in the bottom went. It locked the transmission but did not slit the case.

So drain the transmission and check for metal in the oil.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2021 at 9:43pm
Last time i had something like that happen the rear double row output bearing went bad , cage to hold balls in position broke . 
 The shift slides should move with a bar to line them up for neutral - but if machine will not move - then it's gears out of alignment - either pinion indexing into the ring gear is off or another set of gears in mesh . 
 Time to examine the inside -  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Jbkaiser396 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbkaiser396 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 10:51am
So as of now, I haven't had time to drain the fluid and take the inspection cover off. The machine does shift freely between neutral and reverse, just none of the other gears, and it does drive backwards when engaging the clutch. It doesn't make any out of the ordinary noises when using reverse either. The only thing I managed to do was play with the three bolts on the right side of the transmission. When I take those bolts out, should a spring pop out of the hole or anything?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2021 at 9:35pm
The problem is normally solved by removing the shift lever from tower , then going into transmission from the top . Using a pry to center all 3 shift rails into neutral position , reinstall the shifting link back into tower and have all gears work .
 To remove yoke the 2 side bolts are removed and everything lifts up from top , no oil needs to be drained .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Al B View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 7:50pm
My HD5 is having similar issue. Mine has only third gear and neutral.
I’d appreciate any suggestions.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 8:15am
remove the 2 side bolts from shift tower , remove lever and check position of the shift fork rails to align to neutral , using a bar or big screw driver 
Al B View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Al B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 10:16am
I have done that. All are in alignment. The third/fifth rail moves only into third and back to neutral. It won’t go into fifth. The other two won’t move. They feel locked, as when the other is in gear.
Jbkaiser396 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbkaiser396 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 2:18pm
Yes, same problem as mine just a different set of slides. I haven't had much time and it's been cold here in the north east so for now she'll continue to collect snow until spring and I'm thinking I'll have to pull the trans and dive deeper. I am going to disconnect the slide lock or gear interlock what ever it's called at some point to be sure there's not something hung up there first. For now though my best guess is internal because none of the other "quick fixes" have had any positive effects.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 5:03pm
Lots of the usual suspects in the shifting apparatus:

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 10:03pm
You said 3rd and 5th - what year is the machine as many only have 4 fwd and have 2 rev instead of 5th . Old first units had 5 speed but it was changed out  to the high speed reverse . 

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 10:32pm
S/N 13309 and above were the four speed forward with 2 speed reverse according to the parts manual.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic