This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-6 Main Clutch Adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54asuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD-6 Main Clutch Adjustment
    Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 10:46am
Hey everybody, I am new to the forums and I recently purchased a later 50s HD-6 from action. After I got it home I noticed right away that the main clutch doesn’t snap into place and has a very light pull. It even had a ratchet strap holding it engaged. When holding the lever back it runs and drives great nothing out of the ordinary so I’m assuming it just needs to be adjusted. I looked through older post about adjusting it but nothing sounded like the same setup I am seeing with my dozer. I believe it is a Rockford clutch, I see 3 bolts with springs behind them around a large notched drum. And a larger drum behind it with some much bigger bolts. I was going to upload a picture but it says file is to large, if anybody would like me to text them a picture I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

-Andy
Sponsored Links

Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:48am
I am thinking the Rockford has a clip or tab that fits in notches that hold its in place, but could be confused and that is the Auburn.

Start looking for the service and operators manuals. You may be able to see them on line at General Gear web site, which sells used parts and after market steering clutch parts.

I have gotten very good quality books from Binder Books. They specialize in IH books but have many for AC as well. I know they had HD 5 books which should be the same from transmission back, as the engine was the only difference in a early HD 6.

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:50am
you well need to remove the floor panel and clutch housing cover.  the center section is threaded inside the larger outer part with the notches.  rotate the clutch until you can see the tab that keeps the center section locked to the outer section.  the tab is spring loaded,  flip it up and rotate the center section clockwise to tighten.  might take 2 notches might take ten.  when adjusted to proper lever pull,  simply flip the tab back down and replace covers.
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
54asuit View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 54asuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 2:56pm
Thank you guys! I pulled the cover found the latch got it to pop up fine but having hard time getting disk to spin. Any ideas or tips on making it spin easier? Thanks again!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:03pm
brass drift or hard piece of wood.  there are protruding cast spots you can tap on but dont get carried away.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:57pm
Might put a little penitrating oil on it
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:48pm
You have to desangaged the master cluch lever for adjustement and turne just 1-2 notches and try to angaged the cluch lever and need 25 to 30 pounds for a good adjustement
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic