This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Info on an FP50-24 forklift

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info on an FP50-24 forklift
    Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:40pm
Hi all, new to this forum.  I have other heavy equipment, but know nothing of forklifts.  There is an A-C FP50-24, type G, S/N 59758, propane powered for sale near me for what seems a pretty good price.  Seller states brakes and power steering don't work.  Is one of those "never mind" issues or can it be fixed without too much trouble?  I have a decent ability to work on equipment, so replacement of a pump, replacing hydraulic lines, repacking cylinders isn't an issue.  If it is a hydraulic pump, is this one of those high dollar pumps that could render a good deal not such a good deal?  Any info is welcome.  Thanks!
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:36am
I have owned an FPD50-24 for 15+ years, it's got a BUDA BD153 diesel engine,paid less than $2K delivered.
brakes are easy ! 'old school' Master cylinder---line---split--lines--whell cylinders. I've replaced all with new parts, as well as relined the shoes. One 'trick' is to be sure get the lines tilted towards the wheel cylinders. This allows for easier one man bleeding.
Now finding real info on the beast is 'fun', though if you goto www.liberatedmanuals.com, search for allis lift, eventually you'll find 50-100  A-C forklifts,download a few, see which best fits yours( then let me know)...A LOT of the parts are used on several models.
brake shoes are selfadjusting, put them in loose,brake 2-3 times, magically you'll have brakes.
BIG thing is gettingtire/rim/drum off. It's HEAVY !!! Mine has split rims, so I remove the whole mess as an 'assembly'. Made a 'carrier'(modelled after drywall/brick delivery cranes) goes on chain hoist on overhead beam. Makes it easy to get off,saves the back and toes.To get front wheels off the ground,tilt mast all the way back,place 'mast width' 6by6 under it, tilt mast forward. Front wheels will be off ground by +-2".
I've also made a set of solid wooden ramps with removable mid sections. Good, scrap 2by10s. raised 'platform' consists of 1',3',2' sections. drive up,block FL, then remove center 3' section. NOW you've got room to safely do oil changes.
Check the fancy double U-joint ont he driveshaft !!!! Mine has zero needle bearings in one joint due to no greasing over the decades. It's one of those PITA jobs.need more height,perfect allen keys and commitment. Once started,job HAS to be done. Have NO idea what U-joints they are, so can't preorder...They gotta be tough though, as it's my goto machine for lots of oddball jobs.
Changing fanbelt is NOT a fun job. mine loosens...minor,overheat, major, no charging.
No powersteering  could be a bad hose,though that'd toss oil all over the place, so maybe just low on oil. think it's dexron(sp) in them... I added 3-4 litres to mine. lift is just normal hydraulic oil ( I use wallyworld UTF )
Mine has a hi-lo tranny,now just lo, get more torque to get up my driveway to garage.
she's old and tired like me but a GREAT machine to have.
Jay

Edited by jaybmiller - 23 Sep 2021 at 6:38am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
pjflyer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:50am
Thanks Jay, this one is listed for $1000 about an hour away.  We might try to look at it this weekend.  We would be able to make a platform or just lift it up with the loader and block it up to get underneath it.  Any other pointers or issues to look for or red flag items?

Right now we've got our work truck in the pole barn.  Have to do a front end job... rotors, pads, u-joints, ball joints, tie-rod ends.  It was getting pretty bad.  Should have it done tomorrow.

I did find bits of info about the power steering, seems like a power assist system.  Do you know if the steering would still work, just harder to steer?
CNCMan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CNCMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2022 at 12:10pm
New to the forum as I have a FP-40-2P Dually  (4K lb) lift I am working on.
Wondering if you ended up buying that unit (FP-50) as it sounds darn near identical to mine.  In need a torque converter and more than likely an input shaft for the  Allis "Power shift" transmission. The flex plate is full of cracks, and I have yet to get the converter off the input shaft of the tranny.
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic