This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RVr's get EPA Reprieve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RVr's get EPA Reprieve
    Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:14am
Those Massive Diesel Engine RVs with the same EPA packages as on every Large Commercial truck are getting a reprieve and release from EPA Regs thru Congress.  Been told by a engine shop mechanic that RVs can now have APPROVED software loaded in ECMs to reduce the effects of emissions equipment faults shutting the machines down or derating them enough to not be drivable.  Expense and inability to acquire repair parts in a limited time frame brought this on.

Seems the lack of education to the motoring public by dealers as to Requirements for DEF or Fuels types had led to multiple recurrent faults and fails where the Retiree Groups pandered to Congressional help to get the relief.  Now instead of DEF system or DPF system faults shutting the engines down the check engine lamp will light and the alarm will cycle at a predetermined interval(Hour or more) to remind the owner to get repairs as soon as possible.  Commercial Trucks are NOT allowed the modification.

Delete systems and replacement equipment is still illegal for a Garage Business to install for a customer yet a customer can install their own and take their chance of failing a inspection.

Edited by DMiller - 22 Sep 2021 at 5:14am
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:49am
But, how many manufacturers are gonna reverse course now? Especially if it’s for only a few short years. Is CA going to allow the sale of brand new RV’s without the latest emissions crap hanging on the rig?
I agree, this DEF/Regen issue is something this country never have gotten into, it is a boondoggle, and a cluster fk thru the whole industry.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:26am
so it's OK for one group to pollute and not another !!
kinda goes against the 'all men are created equal' idea and the tree hugger philosophies....
it does support the 'squeaky wheel gets it' though !!!
gotta wonder ,how much 'pork' was added to whatever 'bill' allowed the nonEPA compliance allowance ?

hmm, up here if you replace an engine(new engine, old car...) the engine has to conform to the EPA specs of the engine....so could you guys toss an RV engine into a truck to bypass the truck's original EPA specs ??? hehehehehe

Edited by jaybmiller - 22 Sep 2021 at 6:34am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:34am
But, do ‘non-compliant’ engines actually ‘pollute more’?
Nearly everyone complains about reduced mpg’s with the newer engines, reduced engine life, etc. How can the need for early overhauls, replacing emission parts, etc., which require parts to be manufactured ie: smelting, steel mfg., etc. Overall it’s just moved the pollution to a different source.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:42am
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

But, do ‘non-compliant’ engines actually ‘pollute more’?
Nearly everyone complains about reduced mpg’s with the newer engines, reduced engine life, etc. How can the need for early overhauls, replacing emission parts, etc., which require parts to be manufactured ie: smelting, steel mfg., etc. Overall it’s just moved the pollution to a different source.

I can attest to that statement! Lol and have said the same thing many times!
59 D17 gas nf, 66 XT 190, 69 220.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:09am
I'm no expert here, but I am wondering if part of the reason is the number miles that these engines run.

The DEF system is used to keep the particulate filter clean. Many medium duty trucks run several hundred thousand miles and some over a million, but very few diesel pusher motorhomes hit 100,000 miles. Will the particulate filter in an RV last 100k without as thorough cleaning?

Edited by WF owner - 22 Sep 2021 at 7:10am
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:30am
WF, I know what you are driving at. But my point is, the whole DEF/Regen, perticulate filter, etc.,etc. is a scam. The days of an OTR truck going a million miles before an overhaul are long over. Yes, these engines may have less carbon coming out the stack, but the pollution coming out the smokestacks of the foundry’s that have to manufacture the replacement engines, cancels out what gains there may have been.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:46am
They are trying to avoid any conversation about that little detail, same as having the " hot like a Weber grill" hanging either directly in front of or behind a 150 gallons of fuel, think about it, it's normal now for trucks to basically explode on impact, sorta like a 75 foot long 80k pound Ford Pinto.That as well seems to be a big mystery as to how that happens.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:52am
That adds insult to injury. The EPA has claimed that they have the authority to stop racers from taking an ordinary car off the road and be modified for racing use only. Basically what they’re saying is it doesn’t matter if you’re never going to drive it on a public highway ever again, all emissions controls must be left in place and functional.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:08pm
Not a SINGLE one of the company trucks in the shop I am working out of has gotten 80,000 miles on a DPF, the regens do some good initially and IF they are in a Hard Pull for greater than 70% of the time the injected DEF(Urea solution) will keep a DPF fairly clean for a time, but 80K seems a Magic Mark in the sand.  Dealers eat the DPF changes until 4 or 500,000 miles so are a Constant headache and now are becoming problematic as cannot just get a exchange unit, back orders abound.  Sensors on the system are destroyed by the very actions and heat of the system, usually a DPF sensor lasts around 100-150,000 miles, again Warranty until 4-500k

SCR Catalyst bed is $10,000(Exchange), DPF exchange unit(Reman) is around the $800 mark, sensors can be from $140-$250 dependent where in the system they are.  DEF Canister level trees and flow sensors cake up in the crap, get locked into a No Reading and even as system is still injecting the system places engines to Derate(10% of listed HP at 65% full RPM.

The software does not eliminate the mechanisms, just blocks engine derates' and shutdown signals.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:41pm
BUTT, BUTT, BUTT..... your SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT !!!  Dont you just LOVE IT ! Wink  Thumbs Down   Thumbs Down
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 6:46pm
Urea isn’t what cleans a DPF, that’s done by raw fuel into the catalyst. The regular catalytic converter is basically a down stream combustion chamber. It generates the heat required to incinerate the soot collected in the DPF. Urea and the selective reduction catalyst targets NOX emissions only. NOX is the number 1 contributor to photo chemical smog. I forget right off how hot the combustion chamber has to be to create NOX, but that’s what the EGR does is cool the combustion chamber a bit to limit NOX. Now they’re figuring out that they can use less EGR and just clean up the NOX with the selective catalyst and urea. Make sure you’re hitting 1200 degrees F on the inlet to the particulate during a regen. If it’s not getting hot enough it’s never going to fully incinerate the soot. If your downstream injector is restricted or clogged, it’s going to seem like the particulate filter is not lasting like it should. Particulate filters being clogged is 100% the fault of something else like not being fully cleaned during a regen or an unmetered fuel source like a turbo with leaking seals, a weak cylinder(s) using oil, clogged air filter, low boost, basically anything that adds to smoky exhaust.
One other thing you have to watch out for is drivers dumping water in the urea tank because they don’t want to spend their money to put urea in out on the road.

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 22 Sep 2021 at 6:51pm
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:52pm
I have seen a new set of doc and dpf run 150-250k if everything else on the engine operating correctly. The baked sets we put on are doing good to last 120k and if they've been cleaned more than a couple times they're lucky to last 80k. All of our trucks are higher milage, we buy at 450-550 and "try" to run to a million or 1.2. I have done countless overhauls at 600-800k mostly due to high crankcase psi and/or low oil psi, seen several pitch rods or spin bearings, these engines should run a million without much trouble but all the emissions crap has lowered the life. It's not uncommon to get 30 grand in a complete overhaul and that doesn't touch the emissions components yet, that can easily add another 10 depending on what all it needs. Brian is correct, Def has no effect on dpf, the Def is injected after the dpf into a decomp tube the goes to scr catalyst, it's only purpose is to lower nox gasses.
I understand what they're trying to do here but the problem is, as irritating as it is to have something shut down or derate, it does that for a reason. If the RV owner chooses to ignore the light and just keep driving the doc and dpf can plug enough that the engine won't run then instead of a repair for a sensor or maybe a bake on the dpf he's now going to have a tow bill and buying a bunch of expensive new parts!
I think all that stuff on an RV is going to be a nightmare for everyone involved if not already. Def does not have a long shelf life in the first place and is even shorter if exposed to extreme temp changes, like parking your RV outside or in cold storage. Just seems like alot of issues could arise.
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:58pm
Kinda off topic but a couple weeks ago I had a truck in the shop a driver had pumped DEF into the fuel tank then drove it till she quit! Not sure how much he put in but enough I ended up replacing everything on the fuel sys! Cleaned tanks and flushed lines from tanks to primary filter but everything on the engine got replaced. What a mess. We've had several put diesel in def tank but this was a first! I almost wonder if it isn't intentionally done.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by BPM75 BPM75 wrote:

Kinda off topic but a couple weeks ago I had a truck in the shop a driver had pumped DEF into the fuel tank then drove it till she quit! Not sure how much he put in but enough I ended up replacing everything on the fuel sys! Cleaned tanks and flushed lines from tanks to primary filter but everything on the engine got replaced. What a mess. We've had several put diesel in def tank but this was a first! I almost wonder if it isn't intentionally done.
Oh boy! I had a Duramax ambulance that the captain did that to when urea first came out. Must have been about 2011 or 2012. I saw the final bill on that one, right about $15,000. The chief was not happy about that...
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:57am
The urea is essentially a heat boost on the catalyst if the heat is not viable enough in the exhaust to clear the dpf then regardless how much fuel is dumped to attempt a clean it will never work.

Our trucks at the yard are vocational not so much long haul, dump trucks, trucks and dump trailers so idle considerable time or are low hp higher rpm range to raise trailers or truck beds.

OTR trucks have some issues with the DPF as to long distance steady state low hp demand where the filters load and ours load nearly daily.

The SCR is to reduce emissions the DPF is to catch and collect the small particles of soot determined to be killing Thousands which has yet to be validated or validation as to efficacy in preventing any lung diseases where everything is a estimation and guess work by EPA idiots determined to make their job more important than really is.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:07am
great, now you've got me wondering how much oil  is used and what pollution one 'super tanker' produces hauling our natural resources (raw materials) to China and bringing cheap goods back to North America,for one trip. Aside from loading/unloading they're always churn,churn,churn, burn, burn burn.....cough.cough cough....

BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:14am
I will agree 100% with everything you said except the first statement. The urea does not boost exh temps. While doing a forced Regen with a laptop I have a data monitor screen and I can and do watch everything related to engine and emissions components. The vgt will close to a certain point and roms raise and will start to build heat in doc and dpf at a certain temp usually 5-600 degrees fuel doser will come on and start raising temps to the 1000-1200 degree level. If you watch the scr temps and def doser while all that is going on the injection of Def does nothing for changing temps. The def inj only opens for a second and doesn't open often unlike the fuel doser which is on continuous. I have ran them where def inj isn't working, and some that had the decomposition tube almost completely bridged over from def deposits which that will increase dpf outlet psi and temp to certain extent bc the exhaust flow is so restricted.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:41am
Yep, urea is not any sort of heat boost. It facilitates a chemical reaction in the scr to reduce NOX emissions only. Has nothing to do with particulate function or regeneration.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:42am
So when they are doing the 'cleaning' cycle, how much pollution is then coming out the stack?
   And how many can afford those thousands of dollars repair bills ?
  and how many true independent truckers are there left?
Is this going to eventually be another debacle like squeezing more blood out of a turnip, or would that be a beet?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 8:53am
The idea they had was to move the scr in front of the catalytic converter so it could continue to function during a particulate filter regen. Before they did that, the scr was between the catalytic converter and DPF and couldn’t function in the extreme heat of a regen. The problem is the crystallized def can build up which used to be incinerated with the soot.

Edited by Brian Jasper co. Ia - 23 Sep 2021 at 8:53am
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

So when they are doing the 'cleaning' cycle, how much pollution is then coming out the stack?
   And how many can afford those thousands of dollars repair bills ?
  and how many true independent truckers are there left?
Is this going to eventually be another debacle like squeezing more blood out of a turnip, or would that be a beet?

The heat generated during a dpf regeneration is supposed to burn soot or particulates up to nothing so to speak instead of just going out the stack as before, now with that being said Ive seen trucks that will absolutely fog smoke out of the stack for awhile once temps get up, I've seen them do it even going down the highway, probably due to some excess fuel or oil in doc and dpf but yeah I've thought so much for smog control!!! Lmao. To answer your next two questions...not many! The price and related down time from all this crap is enough to break an owner operator.

Edited by BPM75 - 23 Sep 2021 at 9:19am
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 1:02pm
So, if you purchase a new semi as a "glider kit" and then have a rebuilt older engine put in, does that eliminate the need for this DEF crap?

BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 3:21pm
Yes it does. I've heard EPA is trying to crack down on the glider market tho, not sure if they done much yet
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 6:40pm
Try buying one, NON Existent from the manufacturers currently.

Then the old Mechanical engines, parts are more than 30 years old, many deleted by manufacturers so only second rate aftermarket remains.

Fast coming to a head.  I asked of the emitted crap at the exhaust pip during a regen, EPA Ass decided I was a Hostile Person and dodged that as well walked away.  NONE at EPA will explain what is released with Urea and DPF burns.  Takes in EXCESS of 1400 degrees in a CNG Oven for TWO HOURS to Regen a choked DPF at the regen facility, BIL got to tour the one for the STL Metro Buses.  Not much pollutants there!!  They do ZERO Stack emissions monitoring as "Is Natural Gas" but fail to include the crap getting burned away.  Then there is the Dust that remains after that regen, is swept up placed in GENERAL Trash and sent to a dump, an OPEN AIR Dump where that dust is undoubtedly released.
BPM75 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BPM75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:15am
I'd heard that too, very hard to get. Also have heard some horror stories about the Fitzgerald gliders, lots of eng issues due to cheap aftermarket parts, again just what I've heard, have no proof of that.

Lol sounds about right for the epa not having an answer or wanting to answer! The whole thing is a damn joke, epa and gov want to reduce emissions and pass laws requiring manufacturers to produce compliant engines by a certain time so alot of quick engineering without adequate testing and put on the market, hey it passes the requirements for tailpipe emissions when produced that's all they care about. Then just like you said and others have stated what about all the side effects from this one "good" thing??? All the extra manufacturing for all these components, all the waste for for faulty sensors or whatever, just like you said all the crap that gets sent to landfill, the obvious pollutants coming out during a Regen cycle?? Where's the trade off here?? Why is it us common people can see all this but asshats at the epa and in government can't???
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:22am
meanwhile China pollutes 1000x worse, per day than ALL of NA in a year yet WE have to have emission restrictions.......sigh
it has NOTHING to do with 'clean air', it's a 'power trip' plain and simple.

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:44am
When urea burns, ammonia and carbon dioxide are released.  The ammonia reacts right away with the NOx, that's what it's for.  The dpf is burning the soot particles, so much the same products as burning the fuel to begin with.  Meant to control the release of particulates, not gasses. 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:46am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

meanwhile China pollutes 1000x worse, per day than ALL of NA in a year yet WE have to have emission restrictions.......sigh
it has NOTHING to do with 'clean air', it's a 'power trip' plain and simple.
YES! x 1,000,000.  Most of "us" in industry do not mind competition.  The problem is, the game must be fair, played by the same rules for each team!  If you want to do things a certain way in your country, fine, do so.  But if my country says we cannot, than you cannot sell your crap here using products and methods we have ruled out.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:02pm
All were whining of the US Mil machines being caught up in Afquackistan and the Russians or Chinese copying the tech, DOUBTFUL in any sense, may find ways to Defeat the Tech but their Mil Machines are BASE BASIC, Hard Mechanical Everything, NOTHING Tech Electronic as are DISPOSABLE and in event of war just attrition stock.  They aint so Stoopid after all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic