This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1950 IB problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1950 IB problems
    Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 8:52pm
I just bought a 1950 IB (with a Brantley backhoe) on an auction.
It was a non runner, and supposedly no spark.
Today I swapped the mag for a Delco distributor off a WC (that had been converted) and got it to fire up and run for a couple minutes three of four different times. It stumbled around for a bit, then smoothed out, but then died, and I’ve pulled it around and around, but I can’t get it to come back to life.

I rebuilt the carb, then eventually swapped it with my CA, (they’re both the Marvel’s) adjusted the timing back and forth, swapped the spark plugs, new points, condenser, cap, and still nothing more than a little smoke while it’s getting pulled around.
If it hadn’t started and ran so good the first few times, I wouldn’t be so confused!!
With a different carb, it can’t be that, and it has good flow.

What would the next step be to look at??

Thanks!!
Garrett
Sponsored Links

Orange Glow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 8:54pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:27pm
adjusted the timing back and forth, swapped the spark plugs, new points, condenser, cap,

did you time the distributor ?  Dont guess.. You should have the point opening when you are at TDC on #1 cylinder.... Distributor will point to #1 on the CAP when at TDC... If you  turn the ADVANCE on the distributor,  the point will open at FIRE mark ( 30 deg before TDC)...

make sure you have a good spark.. possible the old COIL just crapped out or was weak ?

are you using a 6 volt coil ? Is the IB 6 v or 12 V ??

Edited by steve(ill) - 20 Sep 2021 at 9:37pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:30pm
timing mark is on the  side of the fly wheel housing... probably has a angle plate bolted over the hole - holding the c-channel frame.  Need to remove the angle bracket for access to the 1 inch inspection hole.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 9:34pm
Nice looking tractor... I have never seen a hoe on an IB..

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 10:00pm
Have you checked the fuel flow?
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 11:06pm
After messing with it this morning, I ended up swapping the points from my CA and now it starts and runs pretty good!!
I’m not sure exactly what the deal was, the points I got must have been the wrong ones, when set at .020, they wouldn’t close all the way, the lobes contacted wrong.
I changed the engine and hydraulic oils, ran some cleaner through the radiator, and everything works good on it!

There must still be a piece of dirt in the carb, though, because it has to have about half choke to run, and another issue is #2 cylinder has a miss.
But it sure does dig good!!
Thanks for all the help and replies!!

Garrett
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 11:08pm

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 7:00am
Hmmm.......an IB with a backhoe. Pretty cool if I do say so myself. Depending on how long it sat, ya might have a sticky valve in the cylinder causing the miss. Pull the valve cover and inspect the valve train to make sure everything is going up n' down like its supposed to. Watch for a hung up valve spring. A little Kroil sprayed on the valve hanging up will probably get it loosened if its a valve hanging.... HTH
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 11:23pm
I’ll check that out tomorrow!! I was thinking it might be something down that line……..
Once I get that figured out, I’ll see about getting the carb boiled if it still doesn’t run full power when all four cylinders are hitting every time.

It’s really a unique setup, the IB is so small and limber, yet it’s just big enough where it can actually dig pretty good!!
I think there’s fluid in at least on of the tires, the other one goes down slowly, so I’ll probably clean them up and fill them with beet juice.
I need some more weight on the front, too…….
A hydraulic blade would do the trick……..

It’s actually only four bolts and the whole unit would come off, and there doesn’t seem to be much hacked up except for the seat and platform.

What color are the IB’s supposed to be? Most I’ve seen look like Persian 2, some are industrial yellow.

Industrial yellow would probably look the best with the backhoe…….
55allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 55allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Orange Glow Orange Glow wrote:

I’ll check that out tomorrow!! I was thinking it might be something down that line……..
Once I get that figured out, I’ll see about getting the carb boiled if it still doesn’t run full power when all four cylinders are hitting every time.

It’s really a unique setup, the IB is so small and limber, yet it’s just big enough where it can actually dig pretty good!!
I think there’s fluid in at least on of the tires, the other one goes down slowly, so I’ll probably clean them up and fill them with beet juice.
I need some more weight on the front, too…….
A hydraulic blade would do the trick……..

It’s actually only four bolts and the whole unit would come off, and there doesn’t seem to be much hacked up except for the seat and platform.

What color are the IB’s supposed to be? Most I’ve seen look like Persian 2, some are industrial yellow.

Industrial yellow would probably look the best with the backhoe…….

You mean Persian 1? P2 is like 1965(I think) and up.
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2021 at 11:36pm
I couldn’t remember if Persian 1 was like the ‘34 WC was originally, or if it was like your WD is.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:40am
PO2 was not used till the very late 1950s and started with some of the "D" series... The WC, WD, WD45, B, C, G should all be PO1.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 9:29am
I've got a small towable back-hoe with a 13" bucket. It's got a pair of wheels that go on the back for towing, then the move to the front and down riggers go on the front for digging, and you move it around with the back-hoe arm.
It's nice to get in small places. 
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Glow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 11:11pm
I probably won’t get around to painting it for awhile, I really like the way the PO1 looks, but if any of them came out (or all) as industrial yellow, I know that looks good on them too.

I’ve seen those towable ones at Harbor Freight, and they would probably do everything this one will!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic