This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1962 D15 Electronic ignition upgrade??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrByte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1962 D15 Electronic ignition upgrade??
    Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:10pm
Would like to know if anyone has upgraded to electronic ignition and 40,000 V coil? How did it go for you? I would like the best possible spark and am considering this upgrade.....
Thanks for your feedback !
All the best 
Steve
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:46pm
I put the Pertronix EI on a D15II I am restoring.  I am using the stock coil and it works beautifully.  I have EI on several of my other tractors and have used the stock coils on them without any problems.  Be sure to fine tune the timing with a timing light after installation.
If you tractor does not have good spark, go with plugs, wires, cap and rotor first.

'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 6:34am
I have put the Petronix kits in every spark ignition thing I have. I've had one in the D15II for more than 20 years. The oldest one is nearly 30 years old and still running fine. I've never had a problem with one yet. I only use NGK plus and they seem to last forever now. I've used the stock coil and well as the 60,000 Super Spark coil from The Brillman Company ( www.brillman.com ) never a problem. However I have had one ACCELL yellow jacket coil go bad.
  With the poor quality of the replacement ignition parts available from most sources today the electronic conversion kits are money well spent. Although the newest versions REQUIRE suppression wires. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 7:17am
We sell a boat load of the E.I.'s. As the guys mentioned, they work quite nicely. Pretty easy to install. There is a rumor out there that you must use the Pertronix Blaster coil with their E.I. That is false. The E.I. was designed originally to work with the correct OEM coils, and the 40K volt coil is optional if you want a little more fire in the hole.... HTH
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 3:40pm
I've put several EI's in with stock coils. Took a bit to convince one customer to change, but once I pointed out what it was costing him to have me tune the tractor every year because it idled so much he made the switch. Only one I've had grief with was the 6v positive ground I put in my 8N
DrByte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrByte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 5:22pm
Thanks for the input, Paul
I am not sure what "suppression wires" are... do I need to purchase and install them along with the upgrade kit? I'm aware that the dust shield will need to be customized. but are there any other things I need to do to make the conversion go smoothly ?
Thanks 
Steve
DrByte View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrByte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 5:25pm
That's great to know Steve
Should I use the epoxy or oil coil? 
the 1.5ohm or the 3 ?
Thanks for the input !
Steve
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 7:09pm
What's the advantage of E.I. ? My old D 15 just has points and condenser and seems to start and run fine . Just curious . Thanks !
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:26pm
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

What's the advantage of E.I. ? My old D 15 just has points and condenser and seems to start and run fine . Just curious . Thanks !
 Just wait until your condenser dies on the far side of the field. Then after you walk back to the shed for another,  walk back to put it in, you only go 50 feet and it dies again. 
 The EI conversion completely replace the points and condenser and never needs to reset the timing unless you pull the distributer.    

The suppression wires are carbon core wires. The copper core wires will burn out the new units that are being sold now. 

Edited by PaulB - 23 Jun 2021 at 8:29pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:48pm
Same labor to put in a $40 p&c.  Why not spend $125, and never have to do it again?Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 9:32pm
Steve,
If you're running your Tractor on 12V's, you need 2.7-3.3 Ohms of resistance in the Ignition circuit for the 4 cylinder, so a 3.0 Ohm internal resisted Coil puts you right in the ballpark. We have the carbon core wires in stock also if interested. I build them for each Tractor and they are numbered per the cylinder.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 11:19pm
electronic ignition requires resistor plugs and resistor wires or its only a matter of time until it fails and you wasted $100+. At the amana, IA show last weekend there was a tractor there that was converted to EI with a "kit". The kit the owner had purchased had spark plugs and wires that were not resistor!! Beware.

We also sell quality points & condensers that are not overseas junk! $15-$20 each and never had problems. I use these same points & condensers in my service shop!
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:42am
Bought all my ignition parts from Steve at B and B . Never had any problems . Did have to walk back to the barn once before I replaced my coil . Thanks !
BigGuy1000 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGuy1000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 6:14pm
I have had a Pertronix EI on my 1951 WD for more than 12 years, used about 100 hours per year, has the original 6V system, original 6V Delco coil, solid core copper wires, AC45 nonsuppression plugs, always runs and starts fine!!!  You do NOT need suppression wires or plugs, BUT you must take care that the low voltage wires to and from the distributor and coil are kept down low and dressed close to the engine block and frame rail, well away from any high voltage wires!  You may need longer wires to the battery and switch to do this.  Even if you use suppression wires and plugs, it is still good practice to do this, as it may prevent damage to the EI!!!

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:37pm
Big Guy: There has been a running production change in the unit a couple of years ago. The older units  (like you have) work just fine with solid copper wires. However the NEW units MUST have suppression wires, it tells you this right in the new units instructions. Resistor plus are not necessary although they don't hurt. 
   I also have a couple of the 6V+ older units that have many years of service without a hiccup. Running with the standard coil and solid copper wires. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic