This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 lift power in pounds?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 lift power in pounds?
    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:22am
Hi fellas,
Anyone know what a series1 rear arms should be able to lift?
Also what is the hydraulic oil level supposed to be on dipstick- near gear shifter?
Thanks Matt

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 18 Jun 2021 at 9:23am
Sponsored Links

Hunt4Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:31pm
Pimples here the question I'm asking is in reference to whether or not a d-17 can lift a 4x whether or not a d-17 can lift a 4x5 round bale approximately 800 lb that is situated right against the lift arms so as close to the tractor as it can be of course with a bale spear and two points below to assist
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 6:33pm
The question I'm asking is in reference to whether or not a d-17 can lift a 4x5 round bale approximately 800 lb that is situated right against the lift arms so as close to the tractor as it can be, of course with a bale spear and two points below to assist?
No weight on the front, I'm sure it's capable but I'm wondering what the maximum lift capacity is?

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 18 Jun 2021 at 6:34pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:21pm
I would think a D17 could lift 1000 pounds if the load is kept close to the hitch point.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:25pm
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:47pm
The lifting potential is directly related to how healthy your pump is !!   A very healthy pump should unload at 3700 psi. An old dirty and worn pump might be as low as 2500 psi, about 30% less. The internal lift arm cylinder is smaller in diameter than a series 3 tractor, again affecting lifting power. A diesel chassis has more front end weight than a gasser. A wide front has more weight on the nose than a NFront end.

Edited by DrAllis - 19 Jun 2021 at 6:04am
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 9:42pm
Just adding to what has been said. With a working pump there should be no issue. Your tractor will most likely be a little light on the front and would benefit with a few weights. Our first round bale moving tractor was a series 4 with wide front and a rear mover. Just want to point out how dangerous those rear movers are in the dark. My father backed over a black calf that was in the feeder when setting a bale in, not long after we heard of a boy that was killed the same way. Father was one of our customers, it was a tough time. We switched to a front end loader around 1980 after those accidents.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:53pm
so how much does a two or three bottom roll over plow weight? handles them just fine hanging out there
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 7:23am
Right ok.
I know there's alot of variables but I just wanted to know if it was feasible...
WF on mine, rig is almost touching pto shaft.
We will see.
Thanks guys
BillinAlberta View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillinAlberta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 8:00am
Yes it can .I can pick up 5x5 bales easily at 1200 lbs but it has a front end loader out front for weight.Usually carry 1 in front and 1 behind. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 3:25pm
It worked perfectly!
Got them all moved in short time up on dry hill in pasture.
It couldn't have worked any better, not pretty but from a used pile of parts and some welding/ fabrication it all worked out nicely.
Thanks fellas

Edited by Hunt4Allis - 19 Jun 2021 at 3:27pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 3:52pm
Thats a very HANDY looking rear lift !! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 4:29pm
I can use it as pictured or remove spear and use as a pallet lift, remove forks and add a ball in middle to go get firewood with my trailer in our back woods, also built a pig pole with lifting eye that's adjustable along the length of pole that I welded up from square stock and it attaches to top link
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 2:23pm
Great job on the bale mover,I like how you made it. I knew the D17 would work, my neighbor moves them with a D10, I know much smaller tractor, but it works fine for him.
Thanks for the pictures, enjoyed them.
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunt4Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 2:49pm
I feel like the pictures were owed to everybody who gave me insight on how to build this with ideas, I've been thinking and gathering parts for a long while to do this one!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 9:38pm
thosepallet forksare allways handy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic