This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kohler Generator - AC engine?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kohler Generator - AC engine?
    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:04am
I just saw this old Kohler generator for sale on Ebay. After looking at the picture (mostly the shape of the radiator shroud), I was wondering if this might be an AC engine?

KOHLER 15EN81 GENERATOR | eBay

I couldn't find any information online about what Kohler used for engines.

Edited by WF owner - 18 Jun 2021 at 7:05am
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:09pm
We had one at work.  It had a John Deere engine.  I think it was an I6.

I should have looked at the picture before commenting.  That is an old National Weather Service generator.  I can identify it by how the building is built and the location of that power box.  They are changing them at all of the Doppler Radar sites.  The company that is doing them is located on the east coast.  They are saying that when they empty the fuel tanks the bottom is black fuel, and that is how they all have been.  I was curios what would cause that.  There are two 500 gallon tanks against the wall behind where the picture was taken from.

Edited by john(MI) - 18 Jun 2021 at 12:23pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:13pm
closeup of WFs link..

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
I guess that isn't one of the NWS ones, all of them are diesel.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 2:31pm
It is being sold on Ebay by NYS Office of General Services, who buys and sells the majority of NY State owned larger property.

It is at SUNY Morrisville, so it was used by the college. I thought the grill looked like it might be an AC engine.

It sold for $305 earlier today.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 5:42pm
looks like too many things are in the wrong place, to be AC.  Might be a continental, they had similar sheet metal...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:48pm
FORD and CHEVY always bolt the valve cover on with small bolts around the edge... 6 studs on top is "probably" a tractor engine.. cant say who...... Sheetmetal does look like ALLIS, but the motor dont ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 3:14am
motor looks like an old GM engine. my '54 Chevy has an engine that looks just like it. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 3:24am
Fairly certain is a Continental as well.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 9:44am
Has a mag VS  points distributor...makes sense on emergency equipment.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic