This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The WD is back home with a new coat of paint!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

GG,
 Wonderful job on the family WD! Thanks for the video and pictures!
Side note; they do make a narrow hood material the same width as the band. Try Brenda At Sandy Lake.
 Regards,
 Chris

Thanks Chris!

When my cousin redid the hood, he put the webbing on top between the strap. I think I may pop the hood and put the webbing back between the hood and the gas tank and leave the strap to touch the hood. I'm not sure if there's enough engagement of the hooks to put a piece between both, but I have definitely thought about it. But let me know your thoughts, I haven't taken anything apart yet (too hot out).
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 6:00am
GG,
 Yes sorry the webbing goes under the hood. The strap doesnt get any webbing, paint to paint contact. Maybe not one of Allis better ideas but that's the plan. Sorry to get you off track. The old brain faded in and out there for a couple minutes. Anyway I used the narrow white belting I think?? One length did under the tank and over the tank (under the hood)
Its fun getting old and forgetful, Each day is brand new!:)
Off to try to get something not Orange done! Going to mow at the Steam Show grounds this morning. Only 48 degrees here. Heat is probably on in the shop!
Keep up the good work! Start another thread on the other WD your doing. I remember some of your first post on these tractors! You can be very proud of the work that you have done to bring them back to very good working order and really looking sharp! Your going to be the talk of the town with those brand new factory fresh WD's in the fields!
 Regards.
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
garden_guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

GG,
 Yes sorry the webbing goes under the hood. The strap doesnt get any webbing, paint to paint contact. Maybe not one of Allis better ideas but that's the plan. Sorry to get you off track. The old brain faded in and out there for a couple minutes. Anyway I used the narrow white belting I think?? One length did under the tank and over the tank (under the hood)
Its fun getting old and forgetful, Each day is brand new!:)
Off to try to get something not Orange done! Going to mow at the Steam Show grounds this morning. Only 48 degrees here. Heat is probably on in the shop!
Keep up the good work! Start another thread on the other WD your doing. I remember some of your first post on these tractors! You can be very proud of the work that you have done to bring them back to very good working order and really looking sharp! Your going to be the talk of the town with those brand new factory fresh WD's in the fields!
 Regards.
 Chris

Yeah, I think I will swap it back, as I figure I'll get a lot of excess vibration with the strap on top as it is. Though I do think the black and orange combo looks cool. Wish there was space for both spots to have a strap.

It's hard to believe I started my repair work on this tractor back in 2017 with replacing the front rim, and it all spiralled from there (new hubs, new bearings, on and on). Only took me 4 years, haha. Here's to hoping the second tractor doesn't take me so long!

Will definitely make a new thread when I start into the other tractor so ya'll can follow along. Smile
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 8:28am
Time gets away..... I've been working at my 45's for almost 10 years now, still chipping away. I'm pretty happy with them as working girls but they're no show queens! Have a few plans for the narrow front but need to get one of my Red girls up and going first.

Have quite a few parts around here for another 45. New clutch from Rick, plenty of good parts to build an engine, etc. Had a 57 with factory PS. Didn't think I was ever going to get to it so it went down the road after last years windstorm.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 9:16pm
Sugarmaker -- Flipped my webbing strap today; think she looks pretty good! Took her for a 5 mile drive just over to my cousin's place and back, she ran real good.

IBWD Mike -- I can appreciate the long slog of working on stuff. I've got lots of projects that just seem to get picked at every once in a blue moon. My old workhorse got a set of brand new battery cables today, as the one to the starter broke thru the insulation at the clip that goes under the gas tank saddle. Dang, that '57 sounds like it was a nice piece, but I definitely understand letting it go. I need to get my brakes out of this other tractor so I can send them on to Rick. Debating about a clutch while I'm at it.

IBWs://i.imgur.com/mQXPdL4.jpg[/img]https://imgur.com/mQXPdL4https://imgur.com/mQXPdL4[
MDWilliams338 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MDWilliams338 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 2:44pm
Wow that looks great!!!! Always good to see these tractors in new cloths and a clean bill of health.
‘42B,’45B,’48C,’51CA,’52CA,’69170,1935WC,1936WC,WD,WD Highcrop,WD45,WF,D10/14/15/17/19

It isn’t how you die.It’s what you live for.-Daniel Boone
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2021 at 8:41am

Took a short video of her first trip on the road since being fixed up. I've never had her on the road in the 10 years I've owned her, so this was fun!

Thanks MDWilliams338!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2021 at 7:14pm
A tiny update for the crew! Got that fancy step installed on my WD today (thanks to our very own mnoonan-NEWI for the nice step). Also finally got my wheel eccentrics locked down with a 2 foot breaker bar and a lot of sweating. Started at the bottom and worked my way up, the top one on each side gave me a lot of grief. It drove pretty good and I didn't feel any "wheel slop"... though I am not entirely sure the wheels are 100% "straight" in the rear...

But who knows what is worn out on this thing), but didn't want to fight it again today. And I took it for a lap in each gear and it seemed to drive okay, and I think it always drove this way with the rears. Anyway, did some touch up paint on the bolts I scraped and the rims where they were scratched and some other odds and ends spots that have been dinged along the way.

Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 12:57pm
Wow! Awesome job!
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2021 at 9:06pm
GG,
 You can be very proud of your work on the WD tractor!
Smiles per mile!:)
Bet there were lots of them?
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garden_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2021 at 7:55am
Dan Hauter -- Thanks!

Sugarmaker -- Oh yeah, I enjoyed taking a few laps! Had a guy with a pickup truck pull up and stop and talk to me for a couple minutes telling me how nice he thought it looked and sounded. I am more comfortable taking it for a spin now.

Though I tell ya, after years spent with ballast in the rears, she really bounces when moving with just air in the rears now!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic