This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 15 pinion bearing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 15 pinion bearing
    Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:01pm
Installed my pinion shaft with a new seal and bearing , inner bearing was ok . Used the 3 metal shims that were on when I pulled it apart . Paper shims fell apart . Snugged up the 4 cover nuts and now the shaft is hard to turn . I figure I need more shims . Can I just use the extra metal shims I'll have when I pull the final off that's still on my D 15 ? Should say I'm working on my donor final that's on my bench . THANKS !
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:36pm
I have used just steel shims.. I wipe a VERY FINE  RTV or Permatex on the face of one shim to seal against the next... your talking  one thousandth thick..

If you dont have sealer or paper between the steel, you MIGHT have oil weepage over time.. Not leaking out, but stains on the new paint. ..... you might be able to use head gasket shelack or similar.. i have never tried that.

Edited by steve(ill) - 11 May 2021 at 3:41pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:45pm
Yeah Steve , kinda wondering about leaks . Looks like it had 4 paper shims . Thanks !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:47pm
you can also cut your own shims out of paper if you wish.. About anything will work... typing paper / computer paper would be fine.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 4:52pm
That's a good idea . Thanks again !
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:43pm
Brown paper sacks work the best. They cut easy and hold the oil. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:37pm
That's funny Tracy . Last time I asked for a brown paper sack the cashier looked at me like I was crazy . Thanks !
DaveSB View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveSB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:39am
I’ve used paper as shims there too, worked fine.
1948 C, 1953 CA, 1948 WD, 1961 D-17 Series 2 Diesel, 1939 WC, 1957 D14
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 1:33pm
Made a gasket from some gasket material I had . It's a little thicker than the 3 metal shims . Seems okay to me . Thanks everyone !
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:29pm
If you were able to turn the pinion shaft by hand before (your description) but hard, all you probably needed to do was split apart every shim you had, smear RTV on both sides of every shim, reassemble and snug the bolts up so the excess RTV oozes out and STOP. Let it cure for 24 hrs and then tighten the 4 bolts and I'll bet your bearing setting would be snug, but turn easily by hand. What I think you have now is a loose setting. You should have taken a block of wood and put it up against the splined end of the pinion shaft and directly smack it really hard on the end with a 4 lb maul 3 or 4 times. I'll bet after doing this, you'll find the pinion shaft is now loose from adding too many shims.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 5:35pm
So you took out the 3 metal shims and replaced with one gasket ?  That might be OK... Mike the 3 shims and compare to the thickness of the gasket material. Like Dr said, you only need a few thousandths.

Edited by steve(ill) - 13 May 2021 at 5:35pm
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 8:58pm
Have the gasket I made instead of the metal shims . Side by side comparison the gasket is a little thicker . Don't have a mike . I'm turning the pinion shaft with pliers . Much tighter than it was before , also old setup had endplay . None now . I did whack the splined end with a heavy rawhide mallet several times . Thanks for your help , I appreciate it .
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:37pm
End play is all that counts... If you dont have any end play and its not TIGHT, then you got it !!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:30am
Thanks Steve . I may take it apart and do what Dr Allis suggested . I'm trying to get it right or as close as I can . Thanks for the help !
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 11:08am
Whacked the pinion shaft splined end again this morn and now it turns a lot easier . Can turn it with just my hand . Still no end play . Plan to put the metal shims back in like Dr Allis suggested and see where I'm at . THANKS !!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 7:53pm
If you can't turn it pretty easily by hand it's too tight and can potentially fail. You will have difficulty detecting any endplay. There is endplay if when the axle is in the working position (horizontal) you can move the splined end of the shaft any amount up and down. A little bit is fine.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:11pm
Thanks again Dr Allis . I was checking in and out play . I'll check the side to side when I get back out there . Thanks !
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 11:23am
Back out in my shop today . Installed the pinion shaft cover with the 3 metal shims dry . Torqued the 4 nuts to 5 lbs and it's a little harder to turn with my bare hand . I'm not sure if I should use a thin coat of RTV  or  make 4 thin paper gaskets ? Thanks for your help . Also checked the up and down endplay and it has very little .

Edited by ACinSC - 17 May 2021 at 11:25am
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:17pm
You are obviously close, but if you torqued those bolts to 30 ft lbs it would be too tight. If it was mine, I'd clean every surface of all shims and smear some RTV on every surface involved ( 3 shims, 6 surfaces plus the cover and the final hsg toal of 8 surfaces). Assemble and torque to 5 ft lbs and leave it for at least overnite and a full day is better. I'll bet when cured you can torque up the bolts to spec and it will turn by hand easily. You do whatever you want.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 12:26pm
THANKS Dr Allis ! That's what I'll do and if it doesn't turn easily I'll make some shims and add them as needed . Thanks , again !
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 2:33pm
Finally have my pinion shaft bearing pre-load set . RTV didn't work out , still hard to turn . Have to admit I didn't coat all 8 sides . Used the gasket I made and 2 paper gaskets I also made . Had 3 paper gaskets in . Took one out and I could feel a tiny bit more resistance . Figured that was good . Torqued 4 nuts to 24 lbs . THANKS Dr Allis , Steve , Tracy and anyone else I forgot . Moving on to the bull gear now .
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic