This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stupid fuel pump. Money sump pump.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stupid fuel pump. Money sump pump.
    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:40pm

Who was the  genius that decided to put fuel pumps in the gas tank.
Who was the evil genius whom decided it was ok to make you have to
remove the fuel tank to get to it. 2004 Trailblazer shop wants $860 to do the job.
Oh, give me a 1967 C10 6cyl 3-speed. That mechanical fuel pump was 10 bucks and DIY easy. I must be getting old.

We should revolt.
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:56pm
Thank the automakers engineers that need to justify their existence. They are trained to think that their job is to make everything impossible to work on if it is even possible to repair said item. Thumbs Down That is why I'll NEVER EVER buy another new vehicle. Dead That last one was in 93. Now the newest thing I own is an 89. 
  Today's auto industry is trying to switch everyone over to leasing which includes all service (at the dealer) and nothing out of warranty will be in use any longer Censored

I'm with you on keeping an oldie running  Thumbs Up
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Thank the automakers engineers that need to justify their existence. They are trained to think that their job is to make everything impossible to work on if it is even possible to repair said item. Thumbs Down That is why I'll NEVER EVER buy another new vehicle. Dead That last one was in 93. Now the newest thing I own is an 89. 
  Today's auto industry is trying to switch everyone over to leasing which includes all service (at the dealer) and nothing out of warranty will be in use any longer Censored

I'm with you on keeping an oldie running  Thumbs Up
I've got a bad feeling that your days of finding/running an "oldie" is probably running lean ConfusedConfused .
To the OP, I feel your pain Ouch !!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:35pm
Three points to make here.  

One, Electric Fuel Pumps work well when immersed in gas or diesel, they are COOLED and LUBRICATED by the fuel they pump so DO NOT ALLOW TANK BELOW 1/4 and pumps last longer.  Aerated Fuel being forced thru the system is as aggressive on pumps as is dirt.

Do NOT use a lot of the garbage additives on the market, Volumes do NOT repair damage already done just accelerate it as to being aggressive to plastics in the pumps.

And DO NOT use CHEAP Gas, tends to be Dirty, moisture contaminated dregs from storage tanks that also Eats Fuel Pumps.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:32pm
Locate the location of fuel pump, cut hole in floor and access it that way, then get bigger  sheet of tin and put over the hole and screw it down with some self tappers...
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:49pm
JC is 100% correct about the 'proceedure' !! I've seen/done it several times, even have spare 'patch' panels for GM pickups here....

Another reason for the pump in the fueltank. Model vehicles are fuel injected and it easier to pump high pressure fuel  the distance than to SUCK it that far.

Also dump 'gasline antifreeze' into the tank every couple of months ! More is better !! Today's 'gas' literally sucks water out of the air(thank you ethonal....) , gas floats on water so water is at bottom of tank..guess where the pump is....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 5:23am
No easy was to do that especially on an 04.
Probably going to be rusty, plastic lines are going to be brittle.
It can be done on the ground but you are going to make up a whole new language in the process.

Had a guy a couple of weeks ago from NM. This was during the -10 deep freeze we had here. 19 GMC dually Duramax. He dumped a jug of Def in his fuel tank. The Def fill is right next to his fuel fill. Don't know what he was thinking.
Got the tank out and it was a frozen about the size of a basketball.
He said he didn't try to start it. The frozen mass separated from the fuel and was a 1-1/2' from the pickup so I figured he may not have killed it.
Cleaned the tank and it was fine. Could have been disastrous.
His name wasn't Joe.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 6:15am
re: you are going to make up a whole new language in the process.

Love it ! BTDt !!

re: Don't know what he was thinking.

colour blind and/or in a hurry  ???

I'm waiting for the day the Feds demand( put into law) that Fuel  and DEF filler pipe 'must be on opposite sides of vehicle', cause some relative of some pollytician pooched his ride..

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:35am
Kay, ya think that will make neanderthal proof?

To quote a famous person.  LOL
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:26am

ALL RIGHT,,fIXER,,,,i CAUGHT THAT REMARK,,,,,,WinkWinkLOLLOL
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:31am
WITNESSED a Turban wearer pour DEF into a Diesel tank at a truck stop, complaining had to change fuel filters too much to no avail, bought by the case and truck was staying in Limp Mode even as was refilling, had been driving on the shoulders as could not get to speed and his company had called a mechanic.  Mechanic on call out to inspect the truck for repairs pointed out the separate tank, he said was told was the Urination waste bottle, been peeing in it.  

Truck was towed away.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:36am
The last expensive fix was the rear axle upper control arm bracket and arms, they rotted off. Bracket on one side, arm on the other. I guess the lower arms are the swinging structural links, the uppers are location links taking braking and acceleration torque.
Then there was transmission failure-replaced (we don't tow anything).
brake issues
front wheel bearings
Something with a u-joint or CV joint
Front suspension and steering issues

Fuel system on the engine, ignition/computer/sensors have been solid.
Dash instruments good, power windows good.

The local mechanics have been competent in keeping it going (but $$$$).
Corrosion will be the death of it.

I guess if they did have an old fashioned mechanical diaphragm fuel pump that won't play well with the modern fuel system and engine computer. In addition the rubber diaphragm would be china made rubber-like and not last two years.

What would be the replacement vehicle?

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:59am
putting the pump in the tank makes it last 250000 miles meachanical one would be on its tenth one by now . the people that have fuel pump problems are the one s that run around on a quarter to empty all the time  its just as easy to keep it on three quarters to full  mostly heat takes out the pump and its ussually the guys that are allways on empty  our shop replaces more pumps in auguast than the rest of the year put together.  and any one that would cut a hole in the bed needs there a  kicked why create more work and a scab
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:18am
re: and any one that would cut a hole in the bed needs there a  kicked why create more work and a scab

actually less work and time when you consider the PITA it is work,on a gravel or muddy driveway, getting salt covered rust ALL over your body, while TRYING to get tank straps off to kind maybe get the tank down. Then there's the 'fun of getting the hoses off.ONCE the tank is off,whacking out the retainer isn't too bad, oh yeah ADD a ground and redo the connector( you did buy a new one right ?) again SALT is a huge enemy here in Ontario,. Unlike those TV shows where every 30 year old nut/bolt come off....
you have to remember some of us do not have 4 post lifts, great eyeballs( bifocals do NOT work unside down....) and have figured out some 'compromises'. The 'access panel' only take 5 minutes to cut out, 7 to replace and NO trips to emergency to get rusted steel out of your eyeball.
sure ,in a perfect world, it'd be nice to do the 'drop the tank' style repair. I don't live in that world , I'm in Salty Ontario !

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

re: and any one that would cut a hole in the bed needs there a  kicked why create more work and a scab

actually less work and time when you consider the PITA it is work,on a gravel or muddy driveway, getting salt covered rust ALL over your body, while TRYING to get tank straps off to kind maybe get the tank down. Then there's the 'fun of getting the hoses off.ONCE the tank is off,whacking out the retainer isn't too bad, oh yeah ADD a ground and redo the connector( you did buy a new one right ?) again SALT is a huge enemy here in Ontario,. Unlike those TV shows where every 30 year old nut/bolt come off....
you have to remember some of us do not have 4 post lifts, great eyeballs( bifocals do NOT work unside down....) and have figured out some 'compromises'. The 'access panel' only take 5 minutes to cut out, 7 to replace and NO trips to emergency to get rusted steel out of your eyeball.
sure ,in a perfect world, it'd be nice to do the 'drop the tank' style repair. I don't live in that world , I'm in Salty Ontario !

Hey Jay,,,one of these days,,I'm gonna win the Lottery and Guess What,,,?  I will take all my vehicles to a dealer that charges $165.89 per hour to change out the fuel pump,,,,but until THEN,,I'ma gonna cut the panel and get to the fuel pump  that way,,,,WinkWink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic