This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kerosene

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kerosene
    Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:19am
So I'm learning slowly. Apparently diesel + Howes winter treat is not a substitute for kerosene.

When the temperatures dropped here in the Midwest, suddenly my salamander stopped working too, the diesel didnt' look like it had gel'd, I stripped the sucker down, cleaned it all, it just would not draw. Now the temperatures are back up, works fine, like nothing ever happened.

Guess the temperature drop just made the diesel a little too heavy or something. So once I drain the diesel out, I'm gonna get some kerosene for next year. Admittedly part of the joy of the diesel was I can get it at the pump without having to go inside the store. Hopefully by next season that won't be such a worry.

1957 D17 Diesel w/ M&W Pistons
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 9:52pm
i bought a Knipco type heater made to burn diesel, it works fine in really cold temps, the knipco type not designed for diesel but for kerosene don't work as well. bought mine at TSC, don't remember it's brand name. 
Kurt WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurt WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:42pm
I burnt diesel fuel all winter in mine with no issues but bought fuel in town and kept in the old farm house basement where the pressure tank and water lines start for my house and the barn. But it pretty much stayed above 35 at all times in there.
WD D17D 170 190xt 190xtIII 200 7020
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 8:02pm
I never burn diesel, kerosene cause it always works and don't smell so bad.  I tried diesel once and the fumes nearly kilt me!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 6:49am
I run mine on propane, but, but isn't #1 Diesel as close to kero as you can get.

Also iffin you have  access to the throw away fuel from testing Jet A tanks, that works fine.
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 8:50pm
According to someone in the winter diesel thread, #1 diesel is kerosene.

Anyways, I'm going to drain the salamander, stick that fuel in the tractor, and get some kerosene for the heater and see how that goes. I mean it didn't get that cold last winter, but it seemed to be enough to affect the heater, even when treating the diesel with Howes.

Local truck stop has a kerosene pump, so should be good. Is there such a thing as winter kerosene I should be aware of, maybe wait 'til later?
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 9:10pm
I switched to Propane. I have a salamander and a Torpedo heater when I need some heated barn space or I have used the Torpedo to start the 7060 when it was below zero and I forgot to plug in the block heater. I put the Torpedo on blocks and aim it at the engine block and in about 20 minutes the 7060 started. Burning Propane is a lot cleaner.

Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 9:59pm
I might be calling a torpedo a salamander, it's the one designed like a ram jet.

I do have propane for the house, but not in the shed. The propane guy will refill small tanks too, but I'd rather have something less flamable than propane.

I got a fancy electric heat gun last winter for cold starting the D17, haven't had to use it yet.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2021 at 10:52pm
Guys I spent 13 years owning a farm fuel business. #1 diesel is not kerosene.   Kerosene is far more distilled than #1 diesel. It is a lighter fuel that #1. Kerosene can be used to cut #2 diesel in the winter time. It is far better than the stuff in a bottle to winterize your fuel. If you have a heater designed to use kerosene, you should not be attempting to burn #1 in it.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic