This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sawmill lumber...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sawmill lumber...
    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 2:08pm
Seen this interesting vid about sawmill lumber and a bit of info on grading... to have legal swelling building lumber.
 [TUBE]UWgG5pmhdik[/TUBE] Dang, no hot link for video. Click on link below.  @#%$&*
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm
Or, buy 1 stick of each kind of structural lumber you will use on the house, have a stamp made to match each of the stamps on them, and go to work...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 5:55pm
I saw that awhile back. I've been wanting a sawmill for a looong time...years.
Admin's giving me problems (wife).

In this county as far as I know is the trusses have to be stamped.
I'm not really up on my own sawmill lumber resale but have seen online what it can go for.
I'm trying to justify even trying it.
I will use a lot for myself.
Mostly walnut, have ash and hickory and some white oak, quantity in that order.

Don't know about the structural properties of these.

allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 6:04pm
I just paid big dollars for white oak for an old truck bed that I’m working on— took me several months to find a someone willing to commit to the order, then they were 3 months late filling the order over their projection date.

Edited by allisbred - 05 Mar 2021 at 6:07pm
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:46pm
   blah blah so much bull sh$it   just build your barn or house.  The county just wants their taxes   Any way that is what I have found out here in Osage County Ks

We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:06pm
My mill's been idle for past 8 years.
Filled garage with live edge spalted maple, 2' x 14' boards, 1" and 2.5" thick,stickered 5 years. No sales, burned in firepit for 9 days.
Same deal with 'chickoorerty boards...200+, cut, stickered, dried  flat 2 years, zero sales,
they burned real good...took 2 days to burn them.
tried making deal with city( yeah WHAT was I thinking..). Have them bring 1000+ Ash logs here, I'll mill, sell, THEY get 85% of sales.nope, they GRIND up all trees....
I sold next door, gotta get rid of mill.....9K invested, 6 will take it...or a Willys FC-150 in kinda running condition.
BTW 2x4s up here are $1 per foot...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:21pm
i've been watching alot of saw milled boards sell on consignment auctions, they always go for good money i think. and i think there is good money in sawing mantels for over fireplaces. see them alot at home shows, them suckers are expensive! there is one dude i know of in our area, he saws up crooked trees, then sells the slabs for making table tops, don't matter if there are natural holes in them or not. i've seen one bigger slab about 2 inches thick and 8 foot long with a price tag of $750.00. can't remember what kind of tree it was from. horse people like cottonwood boards for making stalls, the horses can't bust them. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:16am
yeah for SALE but not SOLD !!! big difference...
I also tried 'fireplace mantels'... gave away one to neighbour, rest became garden boarders. 200 year old, hand hewn douglas fir, 20' barn beams rotting back into the ground. sad I know but no one came over a 3 year period .
kinda funny how everyone says there's greta money in it, but THEY don't want to be th emiddle men and SELL them !
I enjoyed the milling,would do it tomorrow IF someone would BUY the products..

fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:20am
I'm not looking to resale as much as personal use. Have to go 30 miles for a 2x4 and deal with the hoard.
Resale would be a plus but not banking on it.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:52am
if you're healthy, have free trees, some 'mechnical help',and a 'drying shed, then  a sawmill should work for you.
Once you get set up, milling is pretty easy...
the biggest issue is you NEED a nice covered but airy 'shed' to dry out the
lumber. You NEED the stack to be level, 'stickered',weighted down and out of the rain/sun.
Oh yeah...TIME ! A one inch thick board, air dried will take up to 6 months to be 'dry'

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic