This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10,001 weight and you must comply to

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10,001 weight and you must comply to
    Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 9:46am
https://www.truckinginfo.com/10137447/company-vehicles-equal-fmcsa-compliance-obligations?utm_source=email&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_campaign=20210305-NL-HDT-HeadlineNews-BOBCD210227014&omdt=NL-HDT-HeadlineNews&omid=1009689398&utm_content=01&oly_enc_id=3348I0989123I8B
  Some of the things one might want to check on when one drives a truck or a combination , truck and trailer especially if the combination is over 10,001 GVW 

SAFETY & COMPLIANCE

Company Vehicles Equal FMCSA Compliance Obligations

SPONSORED BY J. J. Keller & Associates, Inc.

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 10:40am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 2:22pm
Anything that involves COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLES over 26,000 pounds is regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSCA) and requires a Commercial Drivers License (CDL). 

A CDL license is a federal license that is issued by the state where you live.

Even though you may not consider yourself "commercial", it doesn't mean you aren't. If you are doing anything for compensation, you are commercial. We had a local guy that has a race car and has a dually diesel pickup with an enclosed triple axle gooseneck trailer (well over 26,000 pounds). Since he is eligible  to receive prize money, he is considered commercial and must have a CDL to operate legally. 

There are some exceptions for operating farm vehicles for yourself.

The "gray area" comes in for non-commercial vehicles over 26,000 pounds. Non-commercial vehicles are regulated by the state and vary from state to state. If you cross a state line, it is your responsibility to know the regulations in the state you are operating in.

If you own an RV over 26,000 pounds, you are probably non-commercial (unless you use it for business) and wouldn't need a CDL, but New York requires an "R" endorsement on your regular operator's license. 

These are NY State regulations:
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:21pm
That R only applies to NY State License, they cannot invoke their designs upon out of state drivers.  Now a FEW have requirement REGARDLESS RV if above 26,000# OR if over 45' in length requires a Class A.  Is a site for RV'rs that explains those states DO NOT GO INTO!! as to regulations must adhere to.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 8:56am
Kicked the tires for hot shot as had used many over the decades for oilfield and needed something to do after leaving the oilfield myself. Made some calls to find out rules can be daunting to say the least, decided on 26K max non-cdl and there were plenty that wanted to put one under their authority last summer. Picked up a 17 Ram Tradesman High-Boy from a dealer and they certified it as they sold it to the local sheriff new, so I knew the history of it and it only had 51K and hidden hitch installed. Worst case was I could not find enough work but backup plan was to put truck/trailer on farm if it did not work out. Put it out with a new 30' PJ with monster ramps early last July and it stays fully booked when I go out 4-8 weeks at a stretch. They may be federal rules under DOT but each state has a few extras that are added but I have been pretty trouble free so far running 10-15K miles/month.
Best thing I did was not go with a one ton dually/40' dual tandem as the 30' behind my 3/4 with Firestone air bags has worked out very well.
Run from KC and east, do not do DC or south of FL panhandle and basically camp out in OH. Plenty of trips to Chitcago and Indy and run up to Detroit more than I care to as MI roads are the worst with their short pour slabs. DOT and ELD guidelines can drive a fella crazy and you can get different answers in each state when going thru weigh stations as it seems things are being tweeked slightly all the time.
Will do it until I am not able to tarp taller loads, seeing the country again and having a ball.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 7:18pm
Tim stay away from MO if you treasure freedom.  The State DOT is now checking Load schedules against TRUCK and TRAILER GVWR.  If you are Over Capacity, will shut you down as fast as with a ton dually and a 40' trailer where REGARDLESS under GVWR, you have a HotShot Company name you are hauling for, you are now Commercial.  

What is the GVWR on your Trailer ID Tag?  and the GVWR on your Truck?  Then Combined?
PJs sales add is deceiving, that Pete sitting on their Gooseneck Trailer behind a single wheel ton is WELL Over GROSS Weight for CDL , the Peterbilt Truck By ITSELF is 18,500-20,000#, then Trailer and pickup, I doubt they are UNDER 6,000#.

Edited by DMiller - 09 Mar 2021 at 7:21pm
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 4:48am
Yes, DOT rating vs. what you should be carrying by trailer rating get's many in trouble in the hot shot world.
Had a chuckle when the dispatcher told me how much I was rated for on loads he would be booking when I signed on, had to explain trailer rating with trailer weight deducted from trailer gross and told him it did not matter on overall gross per DOT at 26K as I would limit trailer load(s) to my trailer specs.
I.E. just because I am rated to 26K max per DOT, does not mean I am pulling loads for more than the trailer is rated for, plus I have a safety factor built in to boot.
Most of my loads, say 90%, run 6K and below and it is a unique market we wanted to try vs. the dually one ton with 40' dual tandem where those boys run partials. See many going down the road with a partial on the front after dropping the rear partial, no weight on steer axle and flogging it. Have helped a few young guys on the roadside or behind weigh stations that flat overloaded themselves and got in trouble. Nothing like seeing a one ton dually blast by that is overloaded, only to see him headed down the other side of a pass in West VA and both rear duals come off the trailer axle on one side. I'm right there with Wal-Mart rigs as I run 67 mph most anywhere, slow and steady wins the race and the ELD dictates how much we can drive anyway so I don't flog it. When a big rig screams up behind me, I just get over and pass them headed up the next hill, with 3.73 gears the Cummins is a bear on hills. Hard on the fuel bill, hard on the equipment so learn how to drive with the engine brake settings and tune in to my favorite old country channels on satellite radio. 6.7 Cummins running on Schaeffer's oils, HotShot Secret for fuel treatment and use that engine brake in tandem with adjustments to the brake controller. Wheels all come off truck and trailer for a good inspection every time home; just hung new springs, drums/brakes, equalizers and greaseable pivot bolts under "2021" model trailer that went out last July and was knocking on the door of 100K miles. Take it easy and do the maintenance to make everything last but will not go back out next winter as far to hard on both me and the equipment. Will lay down mid December this year and head back out towards the end of March as I grew up in that salt crap in the northeast and I don't need the work that bad. MO has not bothered me but I am usually in MO very little, headed to the barn after staying up in WI, MN and Iowa and winding my way back down with loads that ultimately bring me back to DFW.
Plenty to do on the farm in the winter anyway, plus there is all those A-C projects that have piled up!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 5:39pm
Bee safe, get yourself a class D chauffers license for anything up to 26000 lbs. Ya you have to take a test but better safe than a $250.00 fine.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:49am
Seems it would be just as easy to go with a Class A license - and then not worry as much on if you meet every states rules 
 Now my trailer (tag) with pantile hitch ring I pulled behind my tandem dump (3 axle- 7,000 lb axles )  I licensed for 21,000 as I was told 10% of trailer load weight could be transferred to tow vehicle as long as it did not cause tow vehicle axle weight to exceed licensed weight . Then when going through scale one day with empty trailer get pulled around back and they tell me NO transfer is allowed but a loaded trailer weight is calculated as a stand alone vehicle - and to get a true weight one could be required to unhook trailer to be weighed by itself . 
 Seems they make up their own rules every time and leave judges sort it out if you protest their on the spot ticket information they hand out .  
  Another contractor who used a lowboy behind his tandem tractor licenses the trailer for a weight and the truck at a low weight also rather than using a ST trailer plate - which is a flat $10 but transfers all the load to the towing vehicle . (must be a 5th wheel hitch)
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 1:24pm
Coke that is where this stuff just get ridiculous they don't unhook a semi and weigh just the trailer, you have your front axle weight your tandem drive weight and your rear tandem weight and the gross. Should't then be the same for a pickup and goose-neck, if the trailer is a 14,000 lb trailer you could have the trailer axles scaled at 14,000 and any weight transferred to the pickup as long as it is a legal weight for the truck would be OK and your gross is good. I know you cant argue at the scale but you can in court.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic