This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AC FPL 20-24 - New Project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchool33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC FPL 20-24 - New Project
    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 6:25pm
Hey guys,

I recently purchased an AC FPL 20-24 at auction and I wanted to get some help from the community.  Per my limited research, I believe that it has a Waukesha FC 4 cylinder flat head.  I was able to obtain the Waukesha service & parts manual from the Waukesha organization, they're a great group of people.  

Furthermore, I would like to share my renovation of the AC lift with the group.  Everyone seems very helpful and eager to keep the AC name out & about.

Currently, the brakes do not work (pedal goes to the floor) and the engine does not stay running.  I've not worked on LP units before, but plenty of gasoline carbs, etc.    The engine starts right and the prior Gov't organization that maintained the forklift put in new plugs, wires, battery, changed the oil, etc.  The engine does not stay running and will stall out, I can move it, with depressing the clutch some, but it will stall out shortly.  I'm thinking I need to rebuild or clean the carburetor.  The forklift has always been kept inside, and has around 6,000 hours on it.

Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture, based on the AC plate?
Any other advice besides cleaning or rebuilding the carb?

I'm looking forward to being part of the community

Edited by OldSchool33 - 03 Mar 2021 at 6:42pm
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:27am
aw, that's such a cute lil lift !!!

going to be 'fun' trying to get big fat fingers inside of her !!!

1st, try going to www.liberatedmanuals.com, put 'allischalmers forklift' in the search box and then look for a 'tech manual' for your lift. You'll get a LOT of hits,so it'll take awhile to figure out which is yours.I just download a whack of them, then delete off my PC. It's easy to get 'distracted' on that sitr TONS of neat stuff to read about....

2nd, brakes simple..... master----wheel cylinders--shoes. old skool.

3rd, to remove front wheels. I raise the forks up a foot, tilt mast back,toss a 6by6 beam ,lower the forks, tilt mast forward. That 'magically' raises the front up so front wheels off the ground by 2"+-. Course the engine has to be running for this....

4th, there's a long post by Surgarmaker Chris about his propane 40, well worth reading , as he had 'fun' with his. LOTs of propane help in it, brakes too !

5th, I made ramps and platforms from 2by10s to make oil changes easy. the 'platforms' are 6' long 2by10s' screwed together, 5 high. THEN cut into 1',3' and 2' sections. temp screwed together whil drive lift onto them THEN remove the center 3' section. this allows access to the drain plug. My FPD50 weighs 7000#+-, so .2by10s easily support it and it's SOLID  and safe to work under.2by2 blocks screwed to 2by10s 'choke' the wheels.

nice thing is all A-C lifts are 'kinda' the same, so if you don't get the exact manual, others can help

BTW once running do NOT take 'offroad'......
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
OldSchool33 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchool33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 6:45pm
Thank you so much for the info, I will be checking out the brakes this weekend.  

The military technical documents were super helpful, thank you!

Does anyone know what year this AC is by the plate?

Does anyone have a recommended shop to have the oil gauge rebuilt or how to fix the gauge?

Here are some more pictures:

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:59pm
Welcome to the club!
I thought the same as Jay! What a cute little gal! They are a handfull to work on! I had to be taken by the hand many times and drug along to get mine operational. Well mine usually starts and runs and moves and stops and the forks go up and down. All the things it did not do when I got it! I will help if I can.
P.M. me if you need to.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 8:01pm
Humm,
 Last three digits 63 might be the year????
I would recommend getting the brakes working. But thats just me!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 7:09am
dang that's so SMALL to work on !!! Better get 2-3 boxes of bandaids !!
as for the oil gauge, simply replace with an 'off the shelf ', 2" gauge.
Unless you're going to do a 100% factory refurbished rebuild, 'we' would rather see you get her 'up and running'  !!!
when you do, you'll wonder WHY didn't I get  it SOONER !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 9:56am
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Humm,
 Last three digits 63 might be the year????
I would recommend getting the brakes working. But thats just me!
Regards,
 Chris

Can't be a 63.  The plate shows the new style emblem which was introduced in early 1966.
I do not have a book for forklifts, so I do not know much about them.  Looks to be in decent shape though.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:22pm
With the gauge pegged all the over it could be shorted out unless it's manual. If it is a short it should be an easy fix.       Leon
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchool33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 4:31pm
Copy that on the short, that's great news.

Any advice on where to source a master brake cylinder and brake slave cylinders?

Thanks again!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:32pm
I used a company from down south, well the guy was very nice and had a southern accent. Will have to look back in my post on the F40. H&M? H&G???
Anyway they had what I needed for brakes and some seals too.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 7:43pm
Here you go. This was where I got my wheel cylinders and he had master cylinders too.
Regards,
 Chris
"Found HGM forklifts from Georgia on line. Talked to Wayne.

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchool33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 5:36am
Got it, I will be calling him today!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchool33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 6:38am
When I got the forklift, it would run, but would hesitate and stall out, so I'm attacking the carb.

I was able to pull the carb off this week.  Per the original parts book by Waukesha, they reference a IMPCO Carb (51091-A).  Not sure if this is original to the forklift, can anyone verify?  I do plan on pulling the carb apart over the next week.

My other question is where is the best place to get a replacement carb or a rebuild kit.  My general google search has new versions for $140.  

I'm excited to get this lift working!

Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchool33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 3:11pm
So, I took apart the IMPCO 100 carb, the diaphragm was covered in oil.  The outside of the carb was covered in oil as well.  In fact, some of the bolts on the carb were not very tight, so I'm guessing oil got into the carb since it sits on the side of the block, below the exhaust manifold?  I'm cleaning everything up now and installing new gaskets and a diaphragm.

The original issue was the forklift kept stalling and would only run with the choke, completely out.  I'm not sure how the excessive oil would impact the performance of the carb?  

I haven't taken apart the vaporizer, should do this as well?  

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 5:39pm
Check the bushings and or felt seals on the choke shaft.  if it pulls air in through worn seals, that will cause the problem you describe...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchool33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 7:02pm
I wanted to close out this post.  I was able get the engine running!

'DiyDave' hit the nail on the head.

There was a vacuum leak in the carb assembly.  After resealing and making some gaskets, the forklift runs amazingly.

Thanks again for all the help, I love this little forklift!

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2022 at 8:51pm
Thanks for the update!  Even a stopped clock is right twice a day...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic