This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dad's WD project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 11:17pm
The rods came back from machine shop at last. New pin bushings installed and honed to fit new wrist pins.

Got the rods and pistons assembled and installed tonight

Rod side clearance is .004"

Have also been cleaning parts and have in primer.
I started in on the brakes as well. Naturally the pins are stuck pretty good. I have some end mill bits so I decided to fab a pin puller using the drill press. A cross slide vise would be nice to have but managed without it. The bar stock is from some kind of brace off a McCormick something. Seems heavy enough

Remarkably, the pin was moving but I got a little overzealous and the head of the pin is starting to separate. I plan to weld it up a bit and keep at it with a bit more patience and plenty of lube. And maybe some heat.
Sponsored Links

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 2:28am
Looking good and the pictures are great, you're getting there
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 9:45am
Good to see you're making progress on this!

I happen to have a cross-slide vise I would part with.....
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:02pm
Set the fuel tank outside and set up the electrolysis to remove rust inside the tank
A view inside the tank.
After 24 hours there does not appear to be much rust collected on the anode yet but can see plenty of gas bubbles so it is doing something. May not be as bad as I thought. Gonna leave it cook another day and drain it. Will get it clean dry then plan to seal it.
Mike, I just might take you up on that cross slide
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 10:36pm
When I replaced my brakes a few months ago on my D17 I put a large punch in through hole and banged on the pin after I soaked it with Kroil. It came loose with little effort when I put my puller n it.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2023 at 10:09pm
Here's the electrolysis setup on the gas tank

Not much on the anode. It's a steel pipe that had the galvanized coating ground off. Plenty of rust came out when I drained and rinsed it

Will be sealing this soon
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2023 at 9:27am
I made a similar setup when I did the tank for WD Grandpa. Worked good.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 11:29pm
Eureka!! Got one brake pin out tonight. Welded that pin top 3 times. Moved the pin in and out multiple times keeping the penetrating oil to it. Once I was able to rotate the pin it came quite easily.

Drum and lining don't look so good though but I kinda figured that

That'll need to come apart so's I can clean out the mouse house
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2023 at 11:37pm
That looks like my D17 brake drum did. A good chain hoist will become your best friend. I chose to cut off the old drum instead of pulling it. A V cut and then a wedge chisel, one smack of a hammer and it fell apart. Replaced the pinion seal while apart even though it wasn’t leaking oil.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 9:12am
Nice! Those pins sure can be a royal pain. I don't see any rivet heads above the lining in your pic, so someone must have changed the lining once before after the heads had dug in, then put that current lining on and it just wore into the grooves already in the drum?
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2023 at 12:12pm
My thoughts exactly. Truth be told it is likely my fault. Decades ago I was helping Dad haul manure. I pulled the spreader with this tractor while he loaded it with the WD45 with no power steering. I learned a great deal backing trailers cuz I had no power steering either and he was very specific on placement to load
Anyway, I hauled a load out and for whatever reason I had gotten off the tractor in the back of the field. When I jumped back on, put the trans in road gear and forgot to release the brake. Soon I heard a POP so I stopped to see what happened. It was then I realized what I'd and later found out that drum had split. I got an earful over that. So he replaced the drum at some point but probably held off on the lining due to budget restrictions. So I guess this is payback?
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

So he replaced the drum at some point but probably held off on the lining due to budget restrictions. So I guess this is payback?

Haha, I think you're right!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 8:26pm
Ordered the new wiring harness and charging system from Steve. No where near ready but should help with motivation. Soooooo many other things to do. Had gotten some used radials and power shift rims at auction for another tractor. While cleaning those rims, took the Scotch pad on the high speed angle grinder to the gas tank.

Thought it interesting that the abrasive pad took off the faded paint and left a reasonably good paint finish. As if Dad had painted over the existing finish way back when.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2023 at 12:19pm
Just a thought, the crackling of the top coat appears to maybe have been lacquer as that was common then with just a scuffing for prep. Seen a similar story cleaning wheel centers.
Anyway, today have started the process of cleaning the fuel tank along with the tank from the narrow front. Turns out, after all the time spent using electrolysis may not have cleaned those tanks all that well. The narrow front tank did develop some pinholes though. They were flushed then and today I poured in the cleaning solution from the kit I bought, along with a chain and swirled it around for quite some time. I was stunned how much crap came out of them. Dad's tank not too bad it didn't stain the solution much but the narrow front tank turned the clear solution dark brown and clogged the screen in the funnel when draining out. It got washed 3 times before the magnet stopped coming out dirty. Thoroughly rinsed and dried. I have them sitting in the sun to ensure it is dry before the etching step. In all, I spent over 3 hours on this first step.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 7:48am
Are you using por-15? I used it on a CA tank earlier this summer. Seems to be working good so far.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2023 at 2:16pm
I went with a kit from KBS. I have POR-15 but using it for external. That said, when I coated the bottom of the narrow front tank it dripped right through the pinholes
Applied the etching primer this morning. Between sloshing the tanks and shocking sweet corn it has been a very busy morning. Tanks have been quadruple ri sed and drying now.

Edited by plummerscarin - 03 Sep 2023 at 2:19pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 5:15am
I 'shocked' my sweetcorn last weekend with the 756 and 7' bushhog! Always a good feeling when that's done.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 6:31am
Oops, I meant shucking. Damn auto correct. Freezing third planting sweet corn. So I looked up the POR 15 you mentioned. It appears to be the same stuff I'm using just a different brand.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2023 at 7:52pm

So this is the narrow front tank. You can see in first photo where I attempted to fill the pinholes using the POR15 black coating which dripped on through. After coating the inside of the tank I laid strip of fiberglass cloth over this area and soaked it down with sealer. KBS has a patch kit but thought I'd go this route. Once the sealer cures inside it should? hold?

Both tanks pre sealer. They both got the same treatment. It appears the narrow front tank cleaned up better despite having so much crud in it. The black spots are POR15 bled through.

Last picture is Dads WD tank. It had no holes in it. I got the kit that is sized for a 25 gallon tank. Figured I could treat both tanks with that. I put the fresh stuff in this tank first, then in the narrow front tank. The sealer went in and swirled around periodically for 30 minutes then the other one same process and after all that was a half quart of sealer left over
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2023 at 7:30am
Looks like you're on the right track.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic