This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gleaner deutz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timmiso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gleaner deutz
    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 3:07pm
I currently have an r52 with the deutz and have had good luck with it. Looking at an r62 with the deutz as well. It seems as if the v8 tends to be dirt cheap compared to the cummins, where the inline isn’t as steep of discount. Are the v8’s harder to keep clean? Reason for switching is more capacity on beans and more shoe capacity - my r52 will push corn out the back if yields are really good, my n6 never did, so not thinking the long shoe would help a lot, but the extra width I know I could use. Current cleaning for r52 is to park by garden hose with a radiator style wand and wash it out every day, it’s never gotten warm on me, and really as long as the valve covers are clean it’s no big deal. Probably once a year I hit it with a pressure washer from a distance at a reduced pressure. I’ll use air too, but it seems water does better, I jus make sure it’s dry before getting back into the dust.
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 3:22pm
we went from  deutz 52 to 72 and 62 with the v8's.  we blow the engines out before wheat harvest and before fall harvest (beans, milo) and the oil coolers and air filter ever couple days with air.   they are a little harder to clean just because its a v8 but you can remove the oil coolers and top cover to get down between the cylinders.   we usually pressure wash the combines when fall harvest is done and put them in the shed for winter.  definately more capacity even with the old short shoes
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 4:06pm
Cummins are more expensive for a reason they are worth more. After having both not sure you could give me a kraut can.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 4:59pm
We have a 94 R62 with the deutz. Only problems we have had is with injectors and the dealer took care of that early on because they didn’t know they were bad before it left the lot and it needed the spring kit installed on the governor. Other than that oil changes, air filters and we blow it out every day before starting in soybeans and about once a week in corn. Has great power and fuel efficient for the horsepower. These were generally better that the 6 cylinder in the smaller ones. I would not be afraid of one. We run a 25’ 500 head with a crary air bar and a 6 row hugger. Handles both of them with ease.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Cummins are more expensive for a reason they are worth more. After having both not sure you could give me a kraut can.

LMAO !!! between this site and AT, I've come to the conclusion that you are the ONLY person in the US that has bad-mouthed the air-cooled GLEANER Big smileBig smile !!!
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:40pm
Those that have bad mouthed the Deutz - in my opinion - never followed the maintanice scheudule

Edited by DougG - 02 Mar 2021 at 4:42am
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:48pm
He beats em up every time they're mentioned. There are a boat load of em still running with no problems so I'm guessing he had a one of a kind.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

LMAO !!! between this site and AT, I've come to the conclusion that you are the ONLY person in the US that has bad-mouthed the air-cooled GLEANER Big smileBig smile !!!

If you were as smart as you think you are you’d also remember I’ve mentioned about the Duetz dealership 3/4 mile from my house.  At one point there was a couple dozen  Duetz tractors in the immediate area guess how many are still farmed with?

The answer is zero.  Most have been replaced by Deere’s, one a Massey, another a bota point is they are all gone.  

Oh that’s not true I can find a few one is in a scrap pile, another half disassemble in a shed for the last decade, another with trees growing up in it. 

We got Allis motors around, a few Deere’s, a NH, 4 Cummins, at one point two Perkins. Only motor I can say was a flaming t**d was the Duetz.  Reliability sucked but it had its downfall’s beyond that. 

Edited by victoryallis - 01 Mar 2021 at 8:07pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:55pm
So, tell us what you really think of those engines!  LOL
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 6:02pm

Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

If you were as smart as you think you are you’d also remember I’ve mentioned about the Duetz dealership 3/4 mile from my house.  At one point there was a couple dozen  Duetz tractors in the immediate area guess how many are still farmed with?

The answer is zero.  Most have been replaced by Deere’s, one a Massey, another a bota point is they are all gone.  
Yes TOMCAT, I recall ALL of your gripes with the Duetz, your Blue 4x4 that turned you to GREEN, and then had a front axle (with a dual) snap off CryCry !! Seems like you needed to find a better mechanic for the Gleaner Confused ??

Oh that’s not true I can find a few one is in a scrap pile, another half disassemble in a shed for the last decade, another with trees growing up in it. 

We got Allis motors around, a few Deere’s, a NH, 4 Cummins, at one point two Perkins. Only motor I can say was a flaming t**d was the Duetz.  Reliability sucked but it had its downfall’s beyond that. 
cdreb View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdreb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:30pm
Dad was foreman underground in the mine in SEIowa for 33years both of us (sons) work here also. We make Sheetrock here, in the mine all loaders and haul trucks used V10 Deutzs.  They was abused in that equipment due to heat and dust and run balls out. The only reason they phased them out was due to emissions, MSHA would pull air particulate samples and they would not pass. I will never forget those V10 s howling in the mine.
B,C,5020,D17,(2)-190XT's,220,D21,7060, Agco LT70
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:42pm
Tim, I believe you've opened a can of worms. We just bought an R62, 98 with 8.3 Cummins, right or wrong. There was no way I could have talked dad into the air cooled. I would have tried one, maybe. Regardless of dependability, once and engine has a reputation(deserved or not) it's hard to shake it. We've seen several burn in this neck of the woods, yes but was it the combines fault or the operator? We are going from the 426 L3 to the R62 and hope to be happy by staying with Gleaner. Good luck.
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:26pm
Freed,
Do you have any productive experiences to add to this or just a millennial jerk feeling he needs chime in?

Have you ran R series with each engine?  

Have you maintained both? 

Have you propped a torpedo heater in engine compartment so you could go out and combine?

What does my helper breaking the axle on a Deere have to do with the Duetz  being a crap motor?  

If the air cooled design was so great why didn’t that become the norm.  

Agco, Deere, CIH, NH,  the major over the road truck companies used Cummins in various products.  Could it be because Cummins was a superior product? Only market share Duetz could keep was a few subcompact loaders and manlifts. 

Edited by victoryallis - 02 Mar 2021 at 8:27pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 5:39pm

Freed,
Do you have any productive experiences to add to this or just a millennial jerk feeling he needs chime in?

Have you ran R series with each engine?  

Have you maintained both? 

Have you propped a torpedo heater in engine compartment so you could go out and combine?

What does my helper breaking the axle on a Deere have to do with the Duetz  being a crap motor?  
All I do is read your "BOO-WHO -ME" posts about your short-falls LOLLOL !!!

If the air cooled design was so great why didn’t that become the norm.  

Agco, Deere, CIH, NH,  the major over the road truck companies used Cummins in various products.  Could it be because Cummins was a superior product? Only market share Duetz could keep was a few subcompact loaders and manlifts. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic