This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B oil seals for rocker arm base?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B oil seals for rocker arm base?
    Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 10:24am
     Does anyone run a gasket on the rocker arm flange mounts at the head? Seems like it would make sense to hold the oil in the towers during off cycles but it doesn’t look like there were supposed to be seals there. Anybody running a little ultra black or a copper washer there to keep those rocker arm mounts full? Thanks.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 12:23pm
i understand your concept, but some of these tractors are  pushing 80 years old... Dont seem like it has been necessary up to this point ??  I think you have residual oil film on EVERYTHING after you shut down.. The bulk runs off, but things are still WET with oil film.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 12:33pm
Yea I get it for sure. I just had a surprising amount of wear on the rocker shaft and arms which made me start questioning if I was missing something. I guess just trust in the right filter, a good working oil pump and that tiny little baby oil line over to the head. Haha thanks for response.
Luke114 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 2:31pm
Have you run it with the valve cover off to make sure you are getting oil flow?  Do you have the stud with the oil delivery groove in the right location?  Are the corks in the ends of the rocker shaft?
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 2:43pm
This tractor has been sitting for almost 30 years before I started on it a year ago. Yes looks like the oil groove stud is in the right location and the corks look ok at both ends of the shaft. I will be running this thing soon for the first time in a long time and will be sure to run it with valve cover off to inspect for proper oiling.
Luke114 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 2:51pm
Sounds like you have all the basics covered.  I hope it starts up without major issues.  Post some pictures of your project!
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 3:00pm
I’d be happy to but I’m not sure how. Any tips?
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 3:16pm
Thought I had the image upload figured out but it says the images are too big.  Sorry.
Luke114 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 3:16pm
Well it isn't the easist process.  Maybe one of the techie guys on here can post a better description.  If you have the photos hosted on your own site or something like photobucket, you can paste the link into your comments.

Or you can upload a photo.  On the top of the text box where you type, there is an arrow icon.  Open that for some expanded posting options.  There is an icon of a photo to click.  You have to upload the photo from your computer first, and then select that uploaded image to use in your post.  Make sure you resize it before uploading to less than 2 meg, but .5 meg or less is typically plenty.

Sometimes you have to try a couple times to get the photo into the post after uploading.  Use the "preview" button to make sure it looks ok.

Surely somebody has created a more descriptive post for this process that they could link to?  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 5:42pm
i put photos on my desk top... I open them in Paint or similar program. RESIZE the photo to approx 700  x 500  pixel size...... go to the POST REPLY,   click on the GREEN TREE ICON , click on  DOWNLOAD PHOTO and look on your desk top... That size will download.

after step 3 you will get a WAIT BOX -- click OK, then wait 1 minute while the photo downloads before you click on step 4.

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Mar 2021 at 5:57pm
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 6:06pm
Thank you guys I will try my best to get a few on.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 5:59am
Quote:
"RESIZE the photo to approx 700  x 500  pixel size...... "

Depending on the size, I usually cut the size right in half. Then check to see how it fits in "Preview". Sometimes I have to change to a different size, which usually requires using a calculator.
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:47am
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 7:53am
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:02am
This was my grandfathers tractor that I assumed went to the scrapyard years ago. I approached my uncle about it and he said he still had it in his gravel pit. Had been sitting for almost 30 years. My cousins had no interest so he gave it to me. I know it doesn’t look like much but it means a lot to me since it came from family. My mom has logged many hours in the seat of it and I’m happy to have it. Been pecking away at it for 1.5 years. No plans for paint right now just looking to get it operational then go from there. My family surprised me with tires and rims which was really special and definitely ignited the spark to get going on it. Thanks guys for the help.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:54am
most NEW cameras will take a photo that is 5000 pixels wide.. If you cut that in half you get 2500 pixels.. You MIGHT be able to get that on the screen, but it is still 3 times TOO LARGE.. Look at your photo above and you can see the slider below it is about 1/3 full... If you took the original 5000 pixel photo and made it 20% scale you would have 1000 pixel wide.. If you made it 15% you would be in the GOOD range of 700 so it would easily fit the screen.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 8:55am
You have come a long way with that tractor... KEEP GOING !!  Great so far..

Your photo above is 2000 pixels wide. I took it into PAINT and did 35% resize so it is about 700 pixels... below.  Your bigger photo works GREAT if your wanting to ZOOM in on a specific part of the tractor.

Edited by steve(ill) - 02 Mar 2021 at 9:02am
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:04am
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:12am
So I’ve been using a mobile device in mobile mode and the pics have looked ok. I switched to classic mode and now I see what you are seeing. I reposted the last pic at 700 and I think that works. Repost the others?
Luke114 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:47am
Pretty cool that you are saving that tractor.  Some might consider that well into the "yard art" phase, but considering the family history it is worth the effort.  As a slow process, set your can of penetrating oil on the tractor and every time you walk past it, find a few more spots to spray.  New rubber is always a great inspiration as well!

I can't tell on the trailer photos if its just a crazy camera angle, or did the steering shaft rust through and break?
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:05am
I know you said you have no interest in paint right now, but if you are thinking about it in the future, now is the time, when everything is clean and tore apart.

Also, while you have the head off the engine, replace the core plugs (they look like frost plugs). They are inexpensive. They may look good from the outside, but are often very bad on the inside. They are a very common cause of coolant getting into the oil on the 125 engine.

Edited by WF owner - 02 Mar 2021 at 10:13am
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:30am
Yes steering shaft and tube rotted off. Didn’t know the plugs were a common failure. I just finished up the valve job on it.
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:36am
Yea the paint thing is a whole other level. It’s not a full resto right now. It’s a get it cleaned up and functioning build at this point, then reassess what needs to be done next. Not even sure if that fuel tank will hold anything haha.
Alex09(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex09(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 12:30pm
Do not scrap that rockshaft off the back! Looks like it might be for a 2-way plow in the 2nd picture, hard to find!
www.awtractor.com
A&W TRACTOR 920-598-1287
KEEPING ALLIS-CHALMERS IN THE FIELDS THROUGH THE 21ST CENTURY
Jcone1025 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jcone1025 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 12:47pm
For sure I won’t scrap it. I’d love to find the 2 way plow setup someday. I’ve got an Oliver single bottom trailer plow on steel I’ll use now, but always looking for an orange one!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 12:58pm
Tapping on a freeze plug , may give you this....

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 4:44pm
Family tractors mean so much to alot of people. My uncle didn't want anything to do with the farm. I got the B back from the guy who bought the farm and took it to the family Christmas party. That same uncle probably spent an hour walking around the tractor. One aunt insisted on a ride. My dad is all ways eager to drive it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic