This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steel building homes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 1:32am
I would also lean toward the 'T' type building!     we stay in a nice simple house in arizona that has plenty of room.   A lot better then the townhouse we moved into, when we sold the farm acreage!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Sponsored Links

Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 7:33am

Howdy All,
    We just built house , shop and pole shed. We wanted steel too but after buying a bundle which is complete framing for a house, they had the price so high and you had to put it up yet! Full payment up front and wait for delivery. Some waited over a year! So we got wood. They have told us takes two years for new construction to dry out. It better hurry! Once it gets cold doors start to get tight. We been told the wood is not dried like it used to be! So I think there is problems on both sides.

Thanks Kurzy
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:46am
WinkLook out world Shammers is going to put the "pretty machine" in the garage. No going outside to refuel or adjust the throttle when he gets done.LOL 
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 10:29pm
there is a neighbor that just put up his pole barn house, from Google Earth it appears just a regular rectangler building...prolly 50x80 in size. they took out a permit for it for $246,000. it's a Cleary building, i see lots of concrete around it. dunno if the house part is 2 story or not. it better be awful danged fancy for that amount of money! whew!
Ambassaduss View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ambassaduss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 3:27am
I understand you; my grandfather says the same thing. He was born and raised in the village; his parents had a farm and land. But by chance, he stayed after studies to work in the city, met my grandmother. They got married, bought an apartment. They went on vacation to the village while grandpa's parents were still alive. But after they died, his brothers insisted on selling the house and splitting the money. He often says now how sorry he is that he didn't buy a home in the suburbs instead of a city apartment. My parents and I are worried about him, and we decided to build him a small house outside the city with our everyday savings. There is an old abandoned cottage on the property we bought, and we would like to consult with London Refurb if it is possible to restore it.

Edited by Ambassaduss - 06 May 2021 at 3:28am
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:53am
Not sure where Tom ended up with his steel building/ home? I am very happy with my wooden shop building that I think could pretty easily be a home also. I like steel too. But in my case I have other buildings close by and wanted a different look. So mine is a blend of post and beam construction, OSB and house wrap, vinyl and hemlock exterior and shingle roof. All the things Tom is not looking for. But sometimes a different perspective can help us to make decisions about our own projects. I am actyally doing a lot of steel on the inside of the shop. And as I do that I am becoming more comfortable with working with that material too.

Hope Ambassaduss builds a nice home for their grandfather too!

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 6:24pm
With the current lumber prices Red Iron structure buildings are going up all around our area, most as Bardominiums where the House is at one end and the rest is barn/workshop/storage.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 3:44pm
For any new construction I would absolutely go with water heat in the floor. I first saw it done back in the early 60s (it was the new firehouse being built) no matter what the weather was as soon as the bay doors came down it was warm inside again. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 5:11pm
Get Concrete Warm over an insulated barrier and it will REMAIN Warm with the Doors Opened then closed.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2022 at 7:29pm
The shop I work at has heated floors. Make your feet sweat at 10 degrees.
It's comfortable. Gets cold when a dumbass doesn't shut the fking door but 
otherwise, it's good.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2022 at 12:18pm
Heated floors are the cats meow in any building!!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 1:05pm
Speaking of steel buildings, does anyone remember Lustron that made enameled steel panels after WWII? They were, as I remember, based in Columbus, Ohio on 5th Avenue in part of the old Curtiss - Wright aircraft factory and supplied material for White Castle Hamburger buildings, some gas stations and houses. There are still  a  few of the homes around here. Steel houses are not a new invention.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2022 at 1:36pm
Is one belongs to Stone Hill Winery, sits a few hundred feet from Hermann USPS office, looks as made similar to old Gas Station Panels but all are fit well, even the roof is steel.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2022 at 5:50am
We’ve built a couple homes with radiant heat on the subfloor.
The subfloor is 1 1/4” thick. It has a groove ringing through it and a thin aluminum sheet covering the entire sheet and pressed down in the grooves. You send the company your building plan and they make the subfloor to fit your plan. Each piece has to go in the correct spot.
As the water warms the aluminum sheet it transfers the heat between the water lines.
Last one we did was about 2010 or so. $225.00 per sheet for that subfloor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic