This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3500 engine. What do I have?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3500 engine. What do I have?
    Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 7:44pm
I just bought this 3500 engine with 87hrs showing on the meter. It was on a water pump owned by a town. It has a MINIMEC (simms) inline pump and a variation of the newer 670 oil cooler. The manual with the engine says it's a on highway engine (truck) and shows this pump. I don't anything to identify it any better. Opinions?
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 8:41pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 9:07pm
I forgot to mention that it is a 3500 MK II
DARRELL(PEI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DARRELL(PEI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 9:54am
that should work great In my 220, when are you selling It(LOL)
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 11:56am
I'd say it's age is from 1973 to 1975? because it's got the new style eng oil cooler and it's cast iron (square) so that would be similar to a 7030/7040 engine except for the Simms inj pump and center outlet (D21-210-220 style) exhaust manifold.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 2:02pm
Darrell, This engine is why I want to sell you the newer and cheaper 670 out of the L2 combine. As you see I don't need the L2 engine now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 5:55am
Somewhere on this forum, someone commented that the 3500 MK II block was different than the 3500 blocks. What are the differences?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 8:46am
3000 series Mark 2 blocks began with the 7030/7050 tractor in January of 1973. Looking at the left side of the engine, there are no differences from pre-Mk2 to Mk2. On the right hand side, the engine oil cooler and filters are the major change (larger cooler and filters that are upside down) and the timing cover/front plate were changed to accomodate the newer DM-4 Roosa-Master injection pump system. The blocks were thicker in the walls that ran alongside the crankshaft for less noise and I think the towers of the inner structure that ties the deck surface to the mains are stronger to be more durable at higher HP levels. From the D21-210-220 engines that produced 150 flywheel HP maximum, they eventually had the Mk2 engines up to 222 flywheel HP in the 7580/N6 applications.
Wes (VA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes (VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 9:23am
Something different about that turbo set-up isn't it?  Whats the extra housing on the exhuast to the right of the turbo?   -Wes
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 9:35am
Just another variation of the exhaust system....that one goes from 3 inch to 4 inch and would be capable of supporting a large/heavy muffler unlike a farm tractor straight pipe. Pre Mk2 also had that available.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 8:01pm

A few more questions for Dr. Allis or anyone else. Is the Mark II block the same as the 670 block? Could it be possible this engine has the same injector tips as the 7080 tractor? The books says the tips are .375mm (0.0148") part 4029014-0 operating at 3800 psi. I have a lot of confidence in ARP rod bolts that are in the new AGCO packages. Would it be wise to change the rod bolts? I'm considering adding an intercooler and installing it in my 220. I'd like the model number to have the same designation (meaning) as the new tractors if you know what I mean. I also want a bullet proof engine.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 9:18pm
7080/7580'S with AC injector bodies were .0148" four hole tips. Mark 2 blocks evolved into the 670 series....in other words they would interchange with no problems. I know 670 engines later on (1980-81?) had heavier/thicker main brg caps compared to older engines. Rods bolts were never an issue as far as I'm concerned, but if someone thinks they are, I'd bet it was a 7080/7580/N6 that ran 2850 rpm hi idle and had a bad fluid dampner on the crankshaft. I've never had a broken rod bolt. I always replace rod bolts with new when working on the bottom end as a precaution. Intercoolers on a 220 tractor in hi ambient temps will probably cause overheating problems because (if the intercooler is plumbed correctly so it actually works) the BTU's of heat you are taking away from the engine are more than the radiator was designed for. There is a reason why a 7060 has FIVE rows of tubes in the radiator versus FOUR rows on a 7040 and 7045.....the intercooler is why......extra row adds 20/25% more cooling capacity to offset what the intercooler is adding to the coolant heat.
scott View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 9:56am
Does the Dr. say in his last line that a 7040 doesnt have an intercooler?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 6:43am
I beleive that is correct. Intercoolers on the 7060 and 7080,7580
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 2:36pm
3700 intercooled engines started with 7050 as far as tractors go.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 6:34pm
I just picked up an intercooler from a yellow industrial engine this afternoon. There is a 3/4" or 1" pipe plug in the waterpump of my engine . Could I plumb the the coolant feed to the intercooler into that plug?  I haven't had a chance to check yet but I think the casting for the waterpump that came with  the intercooler is a little different. I know Dr. Allis made a comment about the intercooler being plumbed corectly.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 8:43pm
that is where I plumed mine on the puller, but I am not sure that is water under pressure. I think it is still suction, but have been wondering this all summer. I use it for such a short time, dont know if it would do much anyway. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:22pm

Look at a factory set-up.....you need to get plumbed in exactly as they did it at the factory to be sure coolant flow is correct. Coolant comes out of the water pump and flows into the intercooler and thru it front to back and then turns around and comes back to front and out through the thermostat hsg back to the radiator. Even the early 7030/7050 water pump impellers were changed (deeper fins) to promote more water flow..

cw utah View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cw utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 4:05pm
I have a 3500 engine on a genset. Would you be available for a phone conversation about the engine.
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 7:14am
hi calvin,it was a pleasure to meet you at the laporte show.if you give me the basic catalog # off the eng.tag i can tell you if you have a automotive (truck) eng.Jeff Heitman has access to the eng serial # archives from harvey-if you can give the serial #,we can tell you when it was built,application,who ordered it,options ect.the only bad thing is it takes about a month or so to get a responce. Jack
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 9:46am
Jack, great to meet you as well.   Engine catalog number 4035113  serial 3D-23396
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic