This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading steer tires on a WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading steer tires on a WD
    Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 9:05pm

The narrow tri ribs on the front of the WD aren't going to work well now that I plan on using the loader more often.

I have some 15" tires I can use, both car tires, and light truck. I'm assuming the truck tires would be better, but they will be quite a bit taller than the tri ribs.

Did a little research, looks like the front hubs are 5 bolt on a 5" circle, with a 3 3/8" center hole. I will check at the local junkyard for some rims. I guess most automotive rims have a 3" center hole, but I can modify them if needed.

My main questions are, what width rims should I look for? What backspacing? I'm guessing you want as little backspacing as possible for clearance?

If anybody has this type of setup, what size tires are you using?

Thanks in advance.
The mechanic always wins.

B91131, WC23065, WD89101, CA29479, B1, Early B10, HB212, 416H
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2021 at 10:18pm
Marv. I think you have to get rims off a 1950's something Buick. When I owned my tire shop, those were the only thing in 15" we could find. Another plan, Unifirth can make new rims for you. They will have the heavy centers in them for loader work. OK that said dad had a loader on his WD 45 for years. He had 6:00x16 tri ribs on it. They worked good for him. Take the plate off your front steering gear box and fill it with corn head grease. It will steer a whole lot easier.
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 4:44pm
https://www.millertire.com/products/trailer-tires/st205-75r15/15x6-5-hole-5-bolt-circle-trailer-wheel/

Click on above. Call them to confirm center hole diameter and backspacing. Miller Tire Part / SKU # 600725

Edited by Phil48ACWC - 07 Feb 2021 at 4:48pm
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 5:10pm
https://www.wheelvintiques.com/smoothie-bare-finish.html

Here's another option. Click on above, then click on wheels and scroll down and click on series 12. Find your size. Also scroll down to Wheel Fitment Guide. Remove one of the front wheels from your tractor and use a straight edge and tape measure on the hub flange to determine if the backspacing will work for you. Also call to confirm it will work for you.

Is you tractor a wide front or tricycle front?

Edited by Phil48ACWC - 07 Feb 2021 at 8:26pm
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021 at 7:24pm
Got some late 70's? Buick 15in rims on 45 wide front. Offset is just right but had to lathe the center out a small amount. Been on there 30 years.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 8:53am
I've got a pair of those Buick wheels with 9.5LX15's. They came on my wide front 45. Now have 7.5XL15's on 6 bolt hubs.
littlemarv View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:29pm
OK, finally getting back to this project.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked at new rims, and made my rounds at the local junkyards, but came up empty handed.

I recently picked up a running gear for hauling logs, and all the tires were shot. So, I put an ad out for 15" tires to put on the wagon. Lo and behold, my brother in law said " I think I have a couple up in the rafters of the garage, come get them, I need the room."

So, I went and picked up ELEVEN tires, two of which are like new tires mounted on aluminum rims! Of course, the bolt patterns don't match. Hmmmmmmm...

The tractor hubs are 5 on 5". The rims are 5 on 5.5". That got me thinkin.

Found a set of wheel adapters for $40. The only hiccup is the ID is too small.

A quick trip to the machinist buddy, and we are in tall cotton. I think the hub pilot is 3.5".

Checked on the WD last time I was up at Dads, it looks like the inner end of the hub lines up with the steering arm up above for clearance wise. Theses truck rims have a way deeper offset, but that is made up for by the thickness of these adapters. Looks like I should have plenty of clearance.

Gonna have to polish them babies up before heading out in the woods.

Haven't decided on the hubcaps yet.

So, maybe this weekend I can get away for a bit and go bolt them on.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 2:37pm
Weren't the tires on the WD/WD45 16's?  I'm all confused now and it'll screw up my project if I'm wrong...won't be the first nor the last time though.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 8:05pm
The tri ribs on the WD are 16". I was looking for 15" tires for a wagon, that's how I wound up with these two like new tires mounted on 15" rims. Overall, the truck tires are an inch or two taller than the tri ribs.

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 12:47pm
Loaders put some very interesting forces on front ends.  When devising wheel options, best to set it up so that the center of the tire is directly below the centerpoint of tire pivot.

Draw a line through the center of the kingpin pivot, to the ground, and center the tire over that.  Doing so will reduce the overhanging stress on wheel bearings, spindle, and hub.

When I need a 'special' wheel, I use a centerless trammel on torch or plasma to cut out a known correct wheel center, and weld it into the center of a desired-size rim.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:41pm
Thats interesting info. The offset of the truck rim is made up for by the thickness of the spacers, so the footprint of the tractor is pretty much unchanged. The front axle is wider of course, due to the wider tires.

I put them on yesterday, everything went together nice.

Imgur isn't working, so I can't post pictures. I can't believe we have robots on mars but can't post a picture here without hosting and resizing sites. I don't want to upload them here because then I have to delete some old ones in older posts.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:42pm
Pictures from my phone go right to my Google photos account. Anyone know how to get them directly to here? If it's even possible?

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:22am
You can use PAINT on your computer to resize pics to post on here.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote littlemarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 8:19pm
Ah yes, forgot about good old paint. A couple extra steps, but it does the trick.

The 15" truck tires are pretty much the same OD as the 16" tri ribs.

Almost too good looking.

I was going to dump some corn head grease in the steering box, but its pretty full already. Apparently I am greasing it enough? Can it be too full?

I think it should steer easier. I guess I'm just expecting too much out of it, IT IS NOT power steering. But, if a 12 year old can handle it, it can't be too bad. You just have to put it where you want it before you stop.

Gotta test out the bucket and new hydraulic setup.

So there, that should keep the front end out of trouble, and be a little easier on Grandpa Marvins lawn.

Just for the record, before I started this whole "easier steering-full hydraulic loader" project, Lon said,

"Why don't you just buy a tractor with live power, full hydraulics, and power steering?"

Listen to Lon, people.

But, when you don't have room for another tractor, or the fundage,  and the old lady's threats about "another tractor" are getting pretty sincere, you make do with what you have.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for all the help!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic