This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Picked up a new (to me) 190XT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picked up a new (to me) 190XT
    Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:22pm
Hey everyone!
I picked up a pretty little 1969 Allis Chalmers 190XT with a cab this past weekend. It's got a few issues (the parking brake doesn't work, for example), but it does start and run very well. I've already put it to work on several smaller projects.
I looked around for a forum to learn more about these tractors and this seems like the place to be - so hello!

It's got a few issues, but all are relatively minor.. ish!
The parking brake doesn't function at all.
The gas gauge doesn't function at all.
The lights do not function at all, although this seems like it could simply be a fuse or two as the lights themselves look very nice still.

It appears this tractor has been kept under a shed for storage and put to use fairly regularly putting out round bales for cattle. It came from a family that had it for 30 years, and their father had it before that - although I cannot say for how long.

I'm really happy to be here and to have found this forum! It looks like there's a lot of information to gather and I'm looking forward to it! While the 190XT did come with a manual, it seems to have differences occasionally - like the gauges have a completely different layout. I'm sure this forum will be very useful and if anyone has any advice or reading material to help fix the small issues I do have, it would be greatly appreciated!

I'll attach a picture, but forgive me if it's ginormous.. I'm not sure what I'm doing yet, ha!

Sponsored Links

KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:26pm
Welcome to the forum. 
Nice looking outfit. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 12:35pm
Thanks! I'm really happy to have found this forum!
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 1:30pm
a.The parking brake is a "pawl and ratchet" system mounted on left brake pedal up under the dash, if it's like what's on the 200 tractor. They get worn and can't stay engaged. 
b. Fuel gauge is mechanical, likely the float has failed and is full of fuel. (that's what my 200 had done a few years ago. 
c. Lights, happy hunting, somewhere it's likely a wire has gotten corroded or broken. IF you're lucky a fuse on the dash has failed. 
I worked on an AC 180 last spring that came to me because it wouldn't charge, no lights, no gauges. Somebody had cut the harness under the cowl in front of gauges in order to make splitting tractor to repair clutch easier ( NOT ME). Then used el cheepee butt splices to put them back together. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 2:00pm
welcome to the forum. Nice looking tractor. Keep us posted on your progress. 
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 8:50pm
@KJCHRIS
Thank you very much for that insight! I'm not sure what I'll be doing with any of it yet, but it'll be a fun project that I can still use in the meantime!
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but do you happen to know if the fuel float is part of the sending unit? Every "sending unit" I find online looks like a float.. But I cannot find a separate float. I'm used to vehicles, and they're often 2 separate things, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's not the case here.

@Mikez
Thank you, Sir!
I will make sure to post updates as I get around to things!

Do either of you, or anyone else, happen to know how to determine which series this is? I haven't found any useful information on that yet.

EDIT: Never mind, I believe I found my answer. Copied from elsewhere online:
"Series I 190xts came out in 1965. Seies II in 1966. All the first diesel XTs were changed for the factory warrany rear end. The straight 190s and 190xt gas tractor did not have the rear end exchanged but the production straight 190s and gas xts used improved rear end from there on. Allis never actually called any 190 a series I or II but what's known as the series II still had the bar grill and full fenders. The series II used a 2 pinion differential. The series III came out in 1969 with cut back fenders and a grill with no bars. The series III used a 4 pinion differential and slightly heavier transmission and final drives than the series II. The traction booster guage was also omitted by this time. The series III also came out with a Landhandler series in 1970. Although rated at 93 hp the 190xt, especially the later ones, produced from 100 to 110 hp or more."

This also answers my question of why on earth my gauges are arranged differently than the blasted manual, ha!

Edited by Fantrum - 03 Feb 2021 at 8:55pm
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:24am
Nice looking tractor! I like that you have a loader as well. After over 50 years who knows who did what to it. I have a wiring diagram in the manual for mine, I could probably figure out how to get that to you if you needed it. Good luck and nice looking tractor!
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 6:45am
First thing you need to do is to put rails from loader frame to back axel.        MACK
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 11:44am
Exactly what Mack said with that big of loader and bucket you will break it in half- the West Allis metal is getting age on it
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:00pm
@redleg
Yes Sir! The loader is invaluable! I really wanted a loader for my land as my land was neglected for quite some time before I bought it and it needs quite a lot of work in varying degrees.
Thank you for the offer on the wiring diagram! My 190XT came with the operator manual and I managed to find a shop manual for it for free, so I think I'll have all the diagrams I need. Let me know if you could use either manual though!

@MACK
I've never even looked into doing that, but it sounds like a smart thing to do! Any recommendations on reading material? Thanks!

@DougG
I'm lazy.. Sooo.. Same thing as MACK. :D Thanks!
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 1:22pm
Welcome to forum.  Putting out those bales probably kept this tractor from sitting and kept it in good running shape.  These tractors are pretty tough as they have been abused over the years and still keep ticking.  Sounds like you don't have much wrong with it at all.  I had a lot of issues with my 190XT that I have slowly fixed over the years.  I would like to have a loader on mine like that.  Although, it has been commented that the front ends on these tractors were not meant to handle large loaders and buckets like the industrial models.  But, putting out hay isn't too stressful.  Clearing land is stressful. Finding rails to go back to the axles might be difficult.  You can always make them, but that can be expensive too.  I would not load the big bucket full too many times.  I can't tell, but if that loader has been on there a while your front grill nose is probably in good shape.  Hard to find ones that aren't bent.

I bought a new sending unit for my 190xt.  Some of the gauges have to be calibrated for the sending unit and some don't.  If you install new sending unit and it shows half full when it is full, then it might be that you need a better gauge.  Your wire could be broke and I would suggest tracking that down before you replace it.  You can always run a bypass wire to figure that out as a quick test.

Good luck and try to send feedback on your fixes.  Many guys just disappear after they getting it working.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 5:42pm
@calico190xt68
Yes, I think the light-duty regular use probably did a lot of good for this tractor! I will definitely keep that in mind on keeping the loader fairly light-duty. The only projects I really have lined up for it are hauling firewood and clearing up a pile of stuff from when I redid the entire house (bought a foreclosure in bad shape). I imaging those aren't too light-duty, but hopefully not too stressful if I'm conscience of the possible issue?

Noted on the fuel gauge issue! Thanks for that!

Yes, definitely! I think I'll be around for quite some time. It's not like I'll ever have this thing in perfect shape, so I'll always be stalking for the next project and hopefully helping others with things I've learned along the way.

Here's a picture of the front end you mentioned. It does appear to be quite good!

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:03pm
Where are you located in Mo? I have a lot of square and rectangle tube, would make you a good deal on if close. I'm in north Mo.         MACK
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 9:47pm
I did exactly what Mack said for the loader on my 170

Unbelievable the difference it made in the whole set up....really need to get it made for your tractor

Ocharry
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 12:00am
@MACK
I'm in southern MO unfortunately. I'd make the drive happily, but it wouldn't be anytime soon. Thank you for the offer though!

@ocharry
Noted! Thank you for the input!
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 5:06pm
Update time!

With the help of many awesome people in this forum, there's been a slight change in things.. ha!

Turns out, just for future reference, it's a 1968 190XT Series II with the G-2800 engine.
I was going off the word of the person I bought it from on the 1969, and never bothered running the serial number.. I knew it could've been wrong, but just hadn't gotten around to it yet. Oh well, I'll live! Would've liked to have that slightly better transmission on the Series III, but otherwise I couldn't care less.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:39pm
Fuel gauge can be a real pain to get it to work correctly. First, you have to have good quality parts. Fuel gauge, tank sending unit. And finally good wiring and good grounds. Grounding is key, without it, it will not work. Grounding is required at the gauge and at the the sending unit. Make sure you have bare clean metal at the gauge where it attaches to the panel and its secured tightly. The sending unit gets its ground through the attaching screws that go into the tank. The tank gets its ground through the fender bolts and other attaching bolts. Use a volt ohm meter between the sending unit attaching screws and where the gauge touches the panel to make sure that you have continuity. If not, you will need to figure out why you don’t have a common ground. Loose bolts, rust are common issues. Also check your wiring, do a continuity check from the gauge wire and the sending unit to make its good and not grounded.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:42pm
@AC720Man
Excellent advice! Thank you for that! I'll definitely get around to it one day, and I will make sure to use your advice!
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:43pm
Do to issues with these gauges, wiring, grounding, they switched to an analog gauge in the tank when the 200 came out. Sometimes, simple is better.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:51pm
By the way, the XT is a great tractor in gas or diesel. Congratulations on finding yours and have fun with it. I can’t stand it when something doesn’t work as it should. Have patience, do your testing, and good luck.
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 8:53pm
@AC720Man
I couldn't agree more! Simple really is better oftentimes.
Thanks, I appreciate it! I am definitely looking forward to this functional long-term project! Much better than a project that can't even be used yet!
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 2:06pm
Update time!

The parking brake is mostly functional currently. Oiled it up really heavily and it definitely helped, although it still slipped out once.

The lights work with a new fuse, although that fuse also blew again within 20 minutes... So there's that. Looks like I'll be checking continuity and grounds!

The fuel gauge is still non-functional, but I also haven't messed with it at all yet. I've got a few leads to follow.
My operator's manual says the fuel gauge is connected to the same fuse as my headlights, but then the wiring diagram shows it is connected to the other fuse.. So I guess I'll find my answer to that riddle when I start looking!

I gave the beastie a full engine oil change and also swapped all spark plugs, since I think it had been 4 years since spark plugs were touched. It now starts easier, at lower RPMs, and runs even better.

I also discovered that my local NAPA is going to be specializing in heavy duty equipment/tractors and they actually have a tractor database in their system just like for cars. They can look up parts based on year/make/model.. I don't know if all NAPAs can do this, but it made me happy to find that out! I'm also not sure how extensive it will be, as their online system for this is kind of junk.

Overall, I'm pleased! Happy with the progress, even though they're only little things. It's nice to have a project that doesn't need to be fixed, but rather is optional because it's still functional.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2021 at 10:16pm
Welcome to the forum!  Sounds like you are working out the kinks and will soon have all the little problems solved, until some new ones come up as is likely with any 50+ year old machine.  Good solid machine that will give you years of dependable service.
Could be that the previous owner bought the tractor in 1969 as it could have been on the dealers lot for several months before it got adopted and taken to it's new home.
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:22pm
@JohnColo
Thank you, Sir!
So far it's working incredibly well. Looking forward to making small improvements as I go.... Until it needs something big! Then I might shed a few tears. :D
redleg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2021 at 7:38pm
Famtrum- good to see you making progress with your project. I second the idea that it is nice to have an ongoing project that you can still use.
Allis Chalmers 190XT
Gleaner K
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021 at 12:51pm
@redleg
Thanks! I'm following your thread as well, so looking forward to seeing your improvements! I saw you got quite a few things in recently for it - sounds like some fun!
Fantrum View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fantrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 7:09pm
Update time!

So I recently ordered some parts in to fix my fuel gauge (fuel sending unit) and parking brake. I also ordered some sediment bowl filters and gaskets. Both sediment bowls had a fair bit of sludge - one about 1/2" and the other a full inch. Gaskets were shot by the time I got them out, although there weren't any leaks previously.

The parts finally came in today! So I went on out to the beastie and got everything swapped out. I now have a functional parking brake and fuel gauge! I also found a couple of worn wires for my lights yesterday, so those are 100% fixed.
Overall I am very pleased with how the day went! Everything was successful and no big issues arose. I had to change how my fuel sending unit connected, as the electrical connection was not the same.. But a couple minutes snipping and crimping wires fixed that!

3x Parking Brake Ratchet (70235328)

1x Parking Brake Pawl (70235329)

I think my biggest issue with beastie now is that my lights aren't bright enough for much after dark.. But hey, I'll happily take that as the worst thing wrong with it!
Well, I take it back... I still need to repair the line that connects to the air filter indicator.. Still, I'll take it. Nonetheless, I'm thinking about installing a couple of light bars just because I have them around.
I recently cleaned the air filter.. You know how the manual says to replace it after every 6 cleanings or annually? Whichever comes first, right? Well... Mine was still from '77.. Surprise! Guess I'll be ordering one.

I've used the tractor quite a bit lately for leveling some land, grading part of the yard, hauling lotssss of firewood, and putting in a bunch of t-posts for new fencing... It's been great!

Thank you to everyone that has been so incredibly helpful! Really loving this tractor and forum both!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic