This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 II Spark Plugs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:05am
OK, as pertains to my original question, here is what I think I learned.....

As horsepower goes up, a slightly cooler plug is used......so that may explain why the cooler plugs were spec'd for the larger 160 engine over the 143.

Heat range of plugs determined by changing tip insulation and distance heat must travel to disperse heat to the block.  The extent to which you can crank up the temp inside the cylinder just by making subtle changes to the plug tip seems bizarre to me. Especially considering how many times a plug fires per second.

As to the D15 II and 160 engine......new replacement plugs from modern lineup would be Autolite 303 or 295. Cooler plug is the 303, a resistor plug, and would be used as the OEM replacement for a tight engine, or recent rebuild. If that fouls......the slightly hotter non resistor Autolite 295 can be used to help burn off the oil to resist fouling.

Start with the cooler plug......no long term harm to engine from fouling. But a too hot plug will do damage to pistons.

Given the state of this engine, 5,200 hours on original engine and burning a bit of oil with plugs fouling quickly, ought to be using the 295's.

Conclusions from an old dog still learning new tricks.

Edited by modirt - 27 Jan 2021 at 11:20am
Sponsored Links

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 9:58am
Picked up a set of the Blue Streak points and condenser.......both made in Mexico.

New Autolite plugs sold at auto parts store are made in China.

FWIW.

Have NOS plugs coming from ebay, but in short term, above will allow engine to run as best it can for evaluation.
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

I put a Pertronix ignition system in it but it crapped out within a few months while I was in the middle of bush hogging.

You probably should have put that coil in at the same time the Petronix was put in.  If the install was only a few months old, it would have been replaced under their warranty.  I've got three older veh's with Petronix, and never have had an issue on any of them...
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 10:25am
Take good note gentlemen.  Information from our in-house electrical expert Steve NJ
Good Luck!
Bill Long
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic