This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Shows and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Renewing interest in old stuff

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renewing interest in old stuff
    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 10:36pm
I'm 50 and among the youngest at local tractor shows. My son comes along to help show tractors.

Most attendees are relatives to or the owners of other tractors at the show.

Show attendance is decreasing as long-time attandees age/pass without new persons taking up the hobby.

How to fix this? Or in other words, keep an interest in the old tractors so they aren't scrapped or made near worthless from lack of interest.

Success stories:

#1. My local shows in Lancaster allows garden tractors - some have pulls (Elizabethtown Fair/Kinzer Thresherman's Reunion). The Elizabethtown fair has garden tractors get kids into the hobby inexpensively and exposes them to other tractors and it runs next to FFA animal building - so families can see/do both.

#2. Be brand inclusive! Those Massey, Oliver, walk behinds (Gravely and David Bradley ect.) and other less common brands like shows and events. Include them. Always fun to see Farmall and JD owner's together (kind'a like Ford vs Chevy).

#3 Diversity of interests- Susquehanna Old Fashioned show includes churches selling food, Revolutionary and Civil War reenactors (avoid army doctor exhibit if you have a weak stomach), antique tractors, garden tractors, hit-n-miss engines, working tractors threshing or making wood shingles, craft show, blacksmiths making, teaching, and selling items, flintlock rifle maker (an artist/heirloom maker- rifles seem too nice to shoot), live music, household items and tool auction, barrel rides for kids pulled by an AC B, and tractor parades.

Other ideas/success stories?

Edited by KMAG - 15 Dec 2020 at 10:08am
Sponsored Links

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 7:24pm
I have 1 son and 1 grandson interested in old tractors. At least its a start.
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 9:25pm
As many shows are held at large parks or show grounds, I often thought it would be cool as a fund raiser to put an old wagon out a ways in an open, safe fly zone area and challenge guests to drive golf balls into the wagon parked out at a distance for a fee, or donation. With my golf experience the wagon would be plenty safe. Done right it could draw a diffrent crowd and get more spectators. Probably rent drivers from a driving range and ask for a deal on golfballs and tees as well. Or they advertise on the side of the wagon for the use of their materials and you put fliers at the 19th hole in their clubhouse.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 7:23am
Pulls are a great way to get youngsters interested in tractors. I caught the bug back in the 60s before I was a teenager. Winning the second time I went to a pull was also a big help. I've been pulling consistently ever since.  One thing I see that keeps many from getting into pulling is that the weight classes start too heavy. At many pulls in the mid Atlantic the lightest class is 3500 pounds and is dominated by WCs, 77s Hs and JD B tractors, these are also owned by fiercely competitive owners. Don't get me wrong, winning is fun, although there should be something that beginners could get into that isn't dominated by those that need a plastic trophy.  A 2000 pound class is Ideal for an Allis B and the 2500 pound class is perfect for the CA. About 20-30 years ago there would always be 6-8 tractors in the 2500 pound class and then a couple owners of Oliver 66s lobbied to up that to 2600 pounds. That, along would a creepy crawly speed limit turned it into a 2 tractor show that many promoters dropped. I fought hard for if making a change to lower the weight to 2400 pound to keep the class competitive for beginners.  Now many years later a lot have said they should have gone along with my suggestion instead of upping the weight. Also now the 2600 pound class is 2750 at the local pulls that I no longer attend as the speed limits have ruined the fun.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2021 at 8:46pm
About 3-4 years ago I modified my 45 diesel so kids can drive it. Extended out the fenders, bought another seat bracket, moved the starter pull to the left of the steering wheel mount. put a reinforced plywood (angle-iron) between the fenders. moved my seat to the right 3-4 inches. added a plastic bucket seat over the new seat bracket, with a seat belt. installed steps on both sides of the tractor, it is a little tight on my side. Added a 3 bottom slat-board plow and flag pole.
    kids have to start the tractor, lift the plow, if they are strong enough, they can shift it in gear, and engage the clutch, and the throttle. and we are off. 2-3 mph.
    I control the tractor with the hand clutch and the brakes. We go about 1/4 mile and return. Then the child has to park the tractor for the next participant. They have to take it out of gear, lower the plow, shut off the engine.
   I give them a button pin with a picture of the tractor plowing. I used to give them a paper certificate, but some would lose it on other fair rides.
   You should see the smiles and hear the stories.
   One 7 year old said "The only reason I come to this fair is to drive this tractor, and I brought my Grand parents to see me"

JLS retired View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLS retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:55pm
Action. signed on to ask about Rantoul and saw this thread. Lots of families and youngsters at this one and I think its because of the action.   tractor pulls, a plow line(all 3 days ) that need flaggers. Combining beans. picking corn, shelling corn, shredding stalks, discing ground, movement, noise, smoke, actually seeing the machinery work that made up such a big part of our families lives, brings the stories that Dad, (grandpa) tell to the suburb dwelling kids to life.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic