This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190 bale forks ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190 bale forks ?
    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:44pm
Getting to the point where lifting rings sometimes gets a little tougher. I would like to put bale forks on my loader and would love to be able to have a bale on the 3pt for traction I don't go very far. To the bales and to the rings ( 300yrds maybe) but I don't know if that would be good on the front spindles.  Would I be ok hauling a bale in on the back and then lifting the bale with the loader into the ring without causing problems? 

Thank you 
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:53pm
In the last 30 years, I have seen three tractors of that basic chassis broke in half from doing that. Loader must be full length frame to help prevent that from happening. Hard on front spindles?? Yes, but that makes no difference if there's a bale on the back or not.
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 9:18pm
The weight of a bale ring should not be a problem, but a bale of hay is a lot of weight that far out.          MACK
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 6:30am
Is there a way to use the loader to lift the ring over the bale? Can you make something that will easily pick up the ring without having to chain it. I have used a spear to pick up the bale feeders but sometimes it hasn't worked very well but have thought there must be a way to make it work nicely. The bale feeders should be picked up anyhow because if you don't, at least here in MN, the feeder will soon be buried in old hay and snow and get frozen down.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
ksbowman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksbowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 8:24am
I always pick my rings at the bolt connections with my bale spear. Some times they will bend a little but, not too bad. Most of my rings are about 10 years old so I have got really good life out of them. I also like to load my big bales on end loading over the top of the moved ring. This encourages the cattle to eat the less palatable outside of the bales first with less waste.
elmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:14am
Thanks guys. This is an allied loader and pretty close to the front of the tractor. It sounds like I will asking for trouble trying to lift bales with it. Looks like I need to rig up something to slide through the ring. 
Yes it will be frozen muddy ground here also before long too. It is a one man operation 95% of the time so trying to figure out a better way. 

Next question.. what are my chances of taking singe stacked bales off a trailer and to the ground without breaking stuff?   Man I wish I could afford a 6080 mfwd with a loader!  Maybe Santa will bring one ... 

Thank you 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:26am
You can do just fine with a loader and a 190 lifting bales. Just use some sense. Don't go bouncing around, do get a good loader as mentioned, that is braced real well to the rear axle. My uncle used a 190 and a 900 GB loader for 20 plus years moving lots of round bales with it. The only thing else I'd recommend is to weld in gussets to the rear corners of the front end yoke inside back near the rear pivot and keep everything to do with the front axle well greased, including packing the wheel bearings once in a while, and keep a watch on any loose wheel bolts.

Edited by Lonn - 23 Nov 2020 at 9:27am
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Ricky D View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricky D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:02pm
We have 175 w/Allis loader, load round bales on wagon in field, move from wagon to shed & then from shed to feeder, have done for 11 yes, works great.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:35pm
I have handled tons of hay with my 200 with dual loader. Usually 2 3x3 squares total 1500 to 1600 lbs. Get forks that attach to your loader not the bucket you will lose alot of weight and you will bring it closer to the tractor. The other thing that makes a difference is when people talk round bales is they can weigh anywhere from 500 or 600 lbs to over a ton. Then as other have said drive carefully and keep it greased. Really someone needs to make a tepee or something on the top of a round bale ring that a person could stick a fork in and pick it up and set it over a bale. 

Edited by DanWi - 23 Nov 2020 at 9:38pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:49pm
i have an "AgCrane" on the back of my 180. stays there all year around. is mounted on the 3-pt hitch, has a hyd cyl that raises and lowers the boom, boom is also extendable. it has a grapple that fits on the end of the boom that also has a hyd cyl on it. i;ve used that grapple to carry bid round and big square bales of hay, i;ve loaded semi's with big rounds with that grapple clear up to the second level of bales, i've picked up and carried tree limbs to the burn pile, the grapple can be taken off by removing 1 bolt. thyen unplug the hyd hose. i then put a grab chain hook on the end. and it'll carry or drag anything i want to, can also load small vehicles onto trailers/trucks with that. my mechanic borrowed it to set a diesel engine into a tractor. i keep a chain with the ag crane all the time, it has a big hook like the wrecker guys use to put over vehicle rear ends when towing or recovering. has a grab hook on the other end. lots of times i don't hafta get off the tractor to hook up or unhook things when i use that big hook. that ag crane was/is one of my best buys for the farm. it can stay on the tractor when you need to use the drawbar/pto.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 7:47am
I have two cousins that farm a little together, one has a D17 Series IV and the other a 180. The one with the 180 bought an Oliver 1650 to use for moving round bales because he listened to so many who brag about the 1650. I don't think he will keep it long cause they both said either the D17 or the 180 out work that 1650 hands down, especially doing loader work and moving bales. They said it isn't even a close bet between them.

Edited by Lonn - 24 Nov 2020 at 7:47am
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
elmer View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:35am
Thanks guys.  The plan was to take the bucket off and put spears on. I realize its tough to know what I have just off a post. I will try to take a couple pictures in the next day or two to see what I have.  I have 2 new 3500lb spears and some 1/4 wall tube. Need to pick up a couple more items if it is going to be possible as I hope. 

I would love to make it some kind of a " quick tach" apparatus as reasonable as possible. If I could find one what would be a reasonable amount to pay for a mount off of an old skid loader if I could find one. Any ideas where to find one without buying new? I can fabricate and brace when needed. 

I would love to see that ag crane ... it sounds very handy. EDIT .. just googled it. That would be handy but would cost more than my old tractor is worth !   

Thanks again  

Edited by elmer - 24 Nov 2020 at 9:40am
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 11:40am
Have to search on this forum or over on Haytalk guys have talked about skidsteer quick tach. Have to be at the right place at the right time to find used ones, even on the skidsteers guys have to replace them sometimes. I made a quick hitch type with a hook on top and I have to install a pin on the bottom to hold it but I made it so I didn't have to change brackets on my bucket just leave the top pin in grab it with the loader and install a bottom pin. It does move the bucket ahead a couple inches though.
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 12:50pm
You would have to be careless to the point of trying to break something to have issues.  My series 1 D17 picked up bales in a past life, I’ve fed rounds with my 160, then 175, now a 6080.  Our bales push 900 pounds with dry hay more with baleage.  Use your head and your fine.  
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 7:10am
These guys have some neat stuff and I bought a feeder cover only to turn around and buy another a month later. Drops you to zero wastage while not adding much weight for hand moving and feeder can still be tipped up/rolled for dropping over a new bale easily.

I need to swing by and pick up one of their bale movers that allows moving the bale and feed ring together, either loader front or 3-pt. mounted as it is pretty slick.
Funny how some things pop up and you wonder why nobody ever made them previously.

I still use a couple ring feeders for pen areas but switched to a Lag Industries basket feeder that holds multiple bales (La Monte, MO) as my main feeder. Heavy duty and just fill it and forget it as the gang can't move it around when empty. Chain hooks on skids and I move it when empty with a 3/4 2WD pickup or grab one of the D15's (my D12 can drag it around). Had a welder buddy add a roof to that one, nice overhang and tall enough so it can be pulled through any of my gates to move it around the place. Best thing about the Lag units is you do not need a loader, just open the HD end gate and back the bales in until it is full. I feed with a D15 on 14.9 x 26 rear rubber and OEM 3-pt. adaptor, or the 17IV or 185 and none have a loader.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 8:03am
I can't see how handling bales would be any different from having a loader bucket full of dirt or anything else.My 185 with a loader had a bucket on it that weighed at least half what most round bales weigh and the fellow that owned it was not the type to take it easy on equipment.I replaced the bucket with a bale spear and have used it several years with no issues.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 11:29am
I watched the video of moving rings, one thing that stands out is you probably can't do that with the cheap light rings. After a couple of years they fold like a wet paper bag especially if they get a kink in them from a cow or tractor or bale.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic