This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fat Allis reared her ugly head

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fat Allis reared her ugly head
    Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:32pm
To her newer owner.  Has used the machine readily for the last two months save the last cold spell outside of Davenport.  Old Fat Allis has set out in a sand lot some 35 miles from his home and now will not move.  Did pull a small line off trans pump where is pushing air.  So has a Crack hose/steel tube or fitting where is sucking air and or a stopped up trans screen causing ever more issue.  He is not up to the task where it sits, suggested a roving mechanic be called but fell to deaf ears.  He has also lost the service manuals I gave to him with the machine.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:14pm
Negligence is key this time.  Asked him how many times has added oil to trans(KNOWN Leakage points) had not since bought Two Months ago.  Told him add oil and try it again 10W Hytrans.  Asked if 30 wt Hydraulic would work, flat stated NO, 10W Hytrans.

Poor old gal will be destroyed in six months.  Kind of Sad.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:44pm
Thing about older machinery, it can be good and still do alot of work.
But. . .If the owner or driver is lacking in mechanical nous, they and the machine are NOT going to last very long.
Guy must be pretty irresponsible if hes already has already 'lost' the manuels. Plus not alot of mechanical nous if hes never checked trans oil. As for wanting you to go fix it Dave; id say no. Give him advice yes, but as for mechanical work, is his baby now.
My 10c worth anyway.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 4:29am
Thanks Merv, same way I feel.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 9:04am
Don't even think of getting involved. "Sorry about your luck" is answer to questions. Was warned up front and told straight. Sad story but not your problem...that's why you sold it.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:37pm
If he calls again tell him about this forum...........

HD3
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
TWO TADA Moments, he refilled with trans oil, 15 gallons(Holds 24) works as well as when got it here, just slobbers a lot.  So is going to work on replacing much of the old seat damaged fittings that will not tighten down, then Second moment, he went to retrieve something from his trailer tool box, and sitting just as he had placed them still in the oversize Ziplock I put them in, all the manuals and side notes I gave him.  To say was embarrassed is minimalizing his voice cracking.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 9:31am
sounds like the kind of person who shouldnt own equipment LOL

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 2:20pm
Felt that way selling to him.

His truck had This style Pintle Hitch on a Class Four receiver Insert.

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2020 at 6:20pm
A guy like that is lucky the transmission is the leaker as the consequence is that it refuses to move. If it were the engine losing oil he would have seized it up tight Ouch
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 8:11am
sometimes we have to look the other way even when we dont like to. 

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 6:12pm
Has gotten worse, KNEW it had a leak refilled it and proceeded to continue to use it, finally after three days got low again enough to stop steering.  He is now upset and asking for directions on how to fix.  Told him he needs to refill, load it and take it where can be worked on.  He needs to find the LEAK before he burns out the pumps.

Fell to deaf ears, received a message from him, was trying to finish some task and lost left steer.  At this point I am going to ignore his calls as has no clue he needs to STOP using it until finds and fixes the leak.
michale34 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michale34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 1:42pm
Reminds me when I sold a ford dump truck to a guy. Guy bugged the crap out of me to sell it to him.I told him it was tired and needed work and wasnt road ready .He bought it anyway and the next day I get home from work I have 50 messeges from him on my answering machine that it broke down and yackity yack. Before I got done checking the messages he shows up at my door wanting his money back so I told him to sue me and maby the judge would let him know what as is means.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:39am
More info on the old girl.  STILL has a Hydraulic leak, will now not turn to Left and after a LOUD Bang will not pull with Right Track.  Parking brake still holds thru brake shoe on Right Side.  So I suspect he has destroyed some MAJOR expensive pieces.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 1:25pm
After all the wrenching you did on it Dave, sad that the new owner is fast tracking it to the scrap yard.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 2:25pm
Almost knew it when he bought it, you know that feeling on the back of one's neck when the person buying just should not own said machine.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 3:11pm
got it there in one Dave. Some people should just NOT own or  even be near machinery 
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 9:52pm
Yeah, some people can break an anvil with a rubber hammer.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:13am
Seems it was in need of repair every time it was moved
anybody that bought it would have had issues

everything I buy has something go wrong..........

If he didn't realize that was going to happen, and therefore unprepared, then he is in for an expensive learning curve

HD3
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 5:25am
Currently visiting with family in CdA ID.  Uncle is dying slowly and miserably where we have no idea when the good Lord will take him.  94 and three days of age, aneurism is known as burst just dribbling him dry internally..  Then the new owner leaves me a message, thinking on legal actions to sue against buying a piece of junk.  I am now getting angry as nothing I can do for him.  Been on flights more than not to CdA, for my Uncle, already tired.  The KW is taking second seat until Uncle is passed then will get rebuilt as may need it to move to less expensive digs.

He tells me only a few to ten hours worked, then I also received from the other guy that they ran it ten days FIRST Job, I have been a mechanic long enough that EVEN if only ran it 3 hours a day is still Thirty hours.  I am suspecting has been ran and worked at least 24-40 hours and hard, where that would account for the typical around a gallon a day trans oil dribble it performed here after using a couple hours.  10 days x gallon a day is 10 gal, figure to 30 to 40 hours the 15 gallon comes on pretty easy with a Light Leaker.  He also stated is working in pretty well all sand so stress of digging not so bad but turning would be rough.  If failed to Decelerate before shifts, or slipped up occasionally and did not where slam shifted or was powered into a pile of debris they were burying and trying to steer could have stressed any number of items.

Just makes me angrier when think on it.  Guy was explained to if wanted a good Contractor Tractor buy a Deere or Cat, this is and was and will remain a Farm part time tractor.  He did not want to spend $18-24,000 for a Name Brand, and went Cheap at $8500, you only receive the bargain you pay for.  It had and has known leaks, do not know how well were checking fluids, not even sure if checked them prior to the loss of 15 gal.  Worked it after oil loss, after being told to find the leaks as would not get any better.  Ignored me and went to ANOTHER job and then lost Left Steer then Big Bang and lost right drive.  Wants me to feel sorry as is doing the work Pro Gratis for a friend and asked me for money back.  I am at a quandary with this, feel I am being worked at taken advantage of.  Stated he has seen my name on Forums, knows I am rebuilding junk for resale and said knew people that saw me rebuilding more than one tractor, makes me so much more mad.  If gets to where calls and threatens again will tell him just file the suit, do what he wants to do.

Edited by DMiller - 21 Dec 2020 at 5:29am
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 8:45am
Best thing is IGNORE.. DONT respond.. Anything you write he will keep and use against you... Just pretend you never received ANYTHING... See what happens.. He is looking for a response.. DONT give himone.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 9:27am
what a jackass

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 12:15pm
If on your Bill of Sale you wrote "sold as is where is" and you both signed it he really hasn't got much to stand on. Of course if he gets a really good liar for a lawyer he will get into wasting everybody's $$.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 4:54pm
Pretty well where it stands.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 5:16am
One thing, stop posting about it, here, its a legal case, now.  No animus to you, Dave, just a plain sentence, and no, I'm not a lawyer, nor did I sleep at a Holiday inn, last night...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2020 at 9:14am
DMiller.

We all know you as a good operator and a man of integrity. This nut job needs to stew in his own soup. He made it. You have too much other more critical matters you are dealing with.

Ignore his messages, shut him down and don't give a seconds thought about it. It not on you or your ethics.

The man, and I use the terms very loosely, is a whiney B##CH and does not want to take responsibility for his actions and decisions.

Be done with it and focus all your energy, as I know you already are, on your family.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic