This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGCO and Gleaner’s future?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AGCO and Gleaner’s future?
    Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 6:21am
I heard a rumor yesterday that AGCO is possibly planning to discontinue the Gleaner line in favor of the new Fendt combine and offer a stripped down Fendt version with the Massey decals.  This came second hand from a dealer, so does anyone know whether this rumor is more true than any previous rumors??
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 6:32am
I doubt that if it happens, it will be quickly. The success of the Gleaner line in recent years, including their corn and bean heads, is such that cancellation of the line would be very stupid.
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 10:50am
In the past 10 years or so AGCO has a history of being very stupid
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 11:55am
Just rumors that people keep spreading to get people in an uproar. Gleaner is not going away.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 1:21pm
Gleaner getting quite a few upgrades in 2023  "100th", got that from a local that's a engineer for them.   So if it happens he doesn't know and it will be after 2023. Going to be the SX or X series.   If you ever get a chance to go through the Hesston, KS plant it is well worth it, 90+ acres under roofs.  They make round, square, big square balers, swathers self and pulltype, planters, manure spreaders, axial combines and Gleaners, and probably forgetting a few other things.  Also when you get to the combine assembly line and see 1 axial for every 10 Gleaners going down it  it's no question why Agco spent all that money on R&D, oops oh ya that was for the giant junk Fendt. Wacko

Oh ya, I believe the plan is to keep Gleaner and Junk Fendt and phase out the Massey design.

Edited by Kansas99 - 11 Nov 2020 at 1:24pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 1:30pm
Local salesman told me that AGCO was going to wreck the Fendt name with that piece of junk combine and that one of the Gleaners dealers that was thinking of taking on Fendt changed his mind when a engineer told him, don't ever sell one of those piece of shi$s.  I would have thought the engineer would have been more proud of his work but maybe that was the best thing he could say about the job he did. LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:02pm

Two completely different classes and customers. The Gleaner line is class 7-8 and maybe small 9. They are lightweight and have a great reputation among faithful owners. The Gleaner design is maxxed out as they cannot make the chassis/rotor any wider, so they are probably at the end for capacity. The Fendt is a new market which is targeted at larger size farms and are class 9 and 10 for now and could maybe grow into a class 11 machine. Two different markets.

AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:39pm
Agreed. Take a look at any of Mike Mitchell’s western Canada’s harvest videos & you’ll see how big the Fendt 10 combine is, plus it’s capabilities on Mike’s farm.
Here’s one of his 10s on delivery day. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxhO3zeVQDY
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:41pm
Theres always this runor going around, doubt Agco would do away with a famous line like this but  could happen - have been seeing a few Fendt combines rolling thru central Mo on trucks, all painted black 
ajl View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 2:46pm
I hope the Gleaner is here to stay but around here in western Canada they are disappearing.   There are still a few around but you are more likely to see an axial MF up here.  I have one.    There are some Ideals around here but have not had the best reputation so there are still bugs being worked out.  They are similar to the MF axial and would be a natural replacement.   To see some more Ideal action: check out Full line Austin on youtube.
MikeKroupa View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKroupa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 5:51pm
Doc's analogy is spot on, we run a S78 and a S97 and really have no desire to go any bigger or move to a different design. We've gotten along fine with them through the years starting with a R50. AGCO does recognize and understand, as do other manufactures, that as a whole commercial farms are getting bigger and crop yields continue to increase so the demand for bigger combines is real. We will see how this goes for them, but the transverse machine is not going away any time soon. , Mike 
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 6:30pm
I wasn't comparing the Gleaners and Fendts, just stating these are the two machines that Agco plans on offering and for now I'm sticking to those two being what they plan on offering. Subject to Agco change. Wink

Gleaner does offer a class 6 and the S77 with the 8.4 was a stretch class 7.  I walked all over it with a R65 with a cummins, although the rotor was heavily modified.  Gleaner S98 with 36ft. head will barely stay with a 8240 CaseIH with a 40ft head in the field, I'm positive it won't stay with a class 9.  Grain sample and job on the ground will be a different story in wheat not milo. Dry corn maybe, wet corn nope.  I'm a Gleaner man through and through, run a S98 and R65 but that's reality in the field.

Mike, you should post your youtube video of those 2 gleaners picking corn! 

Mitchells run 7 class 9 Fendts oops 6 class 9 Fendts, one went up in smoke.Wink  That class 10 was a demo unit.

I will say in this country Agco has hamstrung there dealers with only the dynoflex, it's a great bean head but around here everyone needs a floating draper.  Honeybee seems to be the head on almost all the gleaners around here.  So outside Kalvesta all of us with Gleaners or the axials are stuck going to other dealers for heads and parts.  There's a few that run the old 5000 Agco drapers also.

Edited by Kansas99 - 11 Nov 2020 at 6:46pm
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 6:54pm
Yes, my bad. Current Gleaner line is 6-7 and 8 class sizes.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2020 at 7:12pm
I should add the problem I have with Agco spending all the R&D money on the Fendt is the combine that out sells everything they have they have thrown table scraps at for years in search of the axial that someone will buy.  While it might be true that the gleaner rotor is wide as it goes it still has more seperation area then almost any axial out there but they can't spend a dime on it.  In green leaf milo or high moisture corn it's easy to hold it on the rotor, although you probably don't want the factory setup, but you don't have a chance holding it on the shoe.  They spent 100's of millions on the Fendt but couldn't spend enough on the Gleaner to get a shoe under it to handle a wet sticky crop.  It's pretty sad in milo when you are only running a 60% engine load and can barely hold it on the shoe.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:15pm
Kansas99, not to pat my own back, but I got into this with a JD man a few years ago. He stated Gleaner can't make a class 8 or 9 because they are maxed out for rotor length. I told him that they don't need a longer rotor, just make the diameter larger. He didn't think so. Then the S77's came out.  I asked him, if you had two grain bins of the same height, which holds more a 30' or a 40'? All Gleaner need do is to add wheel base and increase the diameter. I wish the wheel base was longer anyway. There isn't much room between the motor and the rotor shields. 

If I had my way, I would not need to open the rotor shield to remove the air cleaner filter. The batteries would be around on the left side of the door with the ground wire on the cut out switch. The engine oil filter would be easier to see and replace. The throttle would be a twist grip like a motorcycle, but on the hydrostat handle.

And lastly GLEANER if you are reading this, get a hold of the Mc Dermott pool cue company and have them build up a Gleaner Combine cue with bag like they did for Snap - On some years back. A 602 G core. Burly maple with black, silver and red inlays with a bag to match. It can stand next to my Snap - On and Miller Welder cues.

Edited by Unit3 - 13 Nov 2020 at 1:18pm
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2020 at 1:48pm
I told my dealer that I want to be in shape to trade in 2023. It would be a trill to travel to Hesston, Kansas and see your combine be built from the floor up. The all new Gleaner "TR" series. A 2023 100th anniversary Curtis Baldwin / Kevin Bien limited edition twin rotor with dual sided 18" unloading augers. DREAMING IS FREE.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
joules21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joules21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 10:29am
we run a gleaner s97, and we also have trouble with corn coming through the rotor,  we are going to add 2 more reverse bars  to try to clean it up.  I like the simple design of the gleaner and how clean the machine is under the tin work compared to a deere but i can never get the field as clean as a deere.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 11:57am
What rotor speed are you running in corn ???  The older generations of gleaner rotors I have always found right around 300 RPM in corn keeps rotor loss to a minimum.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 8:11pm
The biggest boo boo they made in the S series is that the 2nd concave was taken out. If they left it in then I think any rotor loss could be corrected easily.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 12:58am
I thought the Fendt combine was a German design and AGCO is looking more at selling them to Eastern Europe and Russia.  Even bigger fields over there then here.  I looked at the Fendt a couple years ago, just seemed more complex and potential trouble prone.  I guess the guys running them only keep them for a couple seasons and keep trading up like JD guys, before the machines start to self destruct.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:34am
Originally posted by Daehler Daehler wrote:

The biggest boo boo they made in the S series is that the 2nd concave was taken out. If they left it in then I think any rotor loss could be corrected easily.

You must be talking about the adjustable seperator grate?

It's still in the S series however it isn't adjustable,  and yes if you tighten it up it would stop rotor loss, used a lot of power but would stop it.  I don't really have any rotor loss problems in the S, I'm running a precision rotor, however I have a shoe load problem in green leaf milo.  Have put in cage covers to reduce separation area and still no rotor loss but to much shoe load.  Thinking of going back to factory rotor and getting 1/2 in. spaced bars for over concaves and then putting sweeps in the separator side clear to discharge probably 3 at discharge and then 3 staggered across the separator end.  No reverse bars at all.  My opinion is if you get the grain out at concaves you won't have rotor loss, if you don't and thrash on separator side you get rotor loss.  A precision rotor has over twice the bar surface area a factory rotor has but I'm thinking it is over thrashing in green leaf milo.  In wheat you can't find anything on the ground behind it and it puts seed wheat in the tank, so it's better than stock for sure in wheat(not that stock did bad).
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:43am
Originally posted by joules21 joules21 wrote:

we run a gleaner s97, and we also have trouble with corn coming through the rotor,  we are going to add 2 more reverse bars  to try to clean it up.  I like the simple design of the gleaner and how clean the machine is under the tin work compared to a deere but i can never get the field as clean as a deere.

As mentioned rotor speed usually fixed problem, start slowing rotor in 25rpm increments till it stops(usually)  Also you might open up and make sure concaves aren't getting leaves plugged around wires, if you are having that problem might talk to Mike or Chad at pfe, they got a concave that stops it.  We usually don't have that problem here as it usually too dry and they break up.  I know of a custom cutter that cuts high moisture corn for feedlots (28%+) and he runs a pfe concave.

If your running a 3000 header could just be head loss in dry corn from butt shelling?
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 6:06am
Rotor loss is pretty easy to detect in corn. It will always be in the standing unpicked corn easy to see.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 7:35am
Agree, milo is the same way, even with a 36ft header it will throw the grain in uncut milo.  Grain cart operator usually can tell you how much your losing as well.  A few hit window ok, sandblasting window is a problem. LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
joules21 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joules21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 12:37pm
we run rotor at 300,  tried slowing down and speeding up but that made it worse.  we run a drago gt series head with the ear shocks in the stripper plates so thats as clean a head as your going to get, ten times better then a gleaner head we had those before.  i know its not the head because we crawled under machine after header went over but not rest of machine and it was clean at that point.  And we would go through field under load and then stop quick and turn off thresher and you can see all the kernels on the rotor spreader plate.  also checked concaves and they were clean.  concave clearance usually around .85".  what do you mean by precision rotor?

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:25pm
Just my opinion, but theres no precision in farming,, and   seems the rotors are always losing the crop, as too many adjustments that make little or  no differencs 

Edited by DougG - 22 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm
ryan(IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan(IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 2:05pm
Precision farm parts makes a rotor for the gleaner. Uses staggered rasp bars instead of all in a row. Some like it but the factory rotor set up correctly does a great job.
ryan
1984 8070 FWA,1979 7060,1975 7040,1971 190,1960 D-17D,1957 D-14, 196? D-19G, 1975 5040,1971? 160,1994 R62
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 5:23pm
PFP precison farm products rotor I think...aftermarket rotor
Google says precision farm parts....pfparts.com

Edited by SteveM C/IL - 22 Nov 2020 at 5:28pm
nick121 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:52am
I'd hope agco doesn't scrap gleaner. Not a whole lot around me but closer to the gleaner dealer there's more of them. I'd think it would make more sense to get rid of the massey combines, not too many around here either. Mostly deeres and cases with some new hollands scattered about too. Then Gleaner, massey and claas lexion make up the rest.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic