This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Photocopy SS card?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Photocopy SS card?
    Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:03pm
New employer claims they need a photocopy of my S.S. card for payroll.
When I filled out the I9 form, I choose the section for using my Passport for eligibility to work, so no SS card needed, just the number.
My wife worked payroll at UW-Madison for years, she claims employers are not allowed to have photocopies of anybody’s SS cards.
Has the law changed, that allows SS card to be photocopied?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:11pm
no
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 6:17am
Guess IRS says they can-

From SSA website
The Internal Revenue Service's Publication 15 (Circular E, Employer's Tax Guide) contains instructions for recording employees' names and SSNs. The tax guide states that after an employee is hired, you should ask to see his or her Social Security card. The employee may show the card if it is available. You may, but are not required to, photocopy the card.

Edited by JoeM(GA) - 24 Sep 2020 at 6:18am
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:05am
Got one on all my guys per instructions from my accountant.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:17am
IIRC, years ago , I thought it was illegal to photocopy, or take a picture of SS cards?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 3:36pm
I haven't seen my SS card probly in 40 years!  Anyone know where it is???? lol
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 3:47pm
Too many FAKE and ILLEGALS on the jobs... You need the SS card to PROVE who you are.. Not sure why they need a copy, other than PROVE that you saw it.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:05pm
Likewise Dave, I have no idea whatever became of my SS card, but it has to 40 years or more that I have seen it.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:06pm
but I DO still have my draft card!
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:37pm
I had to have a new card made as the old one had a mistake of one letter in my last name - so when I applied for SS they said they would correct it and issue a new card , now not that long back it seems but where i put if for safe keeping is a mystery, 
 Same as my pocket DD 214 card is somewhere safe as is my Discharge papers , luckily if I need that I did have it entered in to county records so could get a certified copy from there .   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:14pm
I know where all of mine are!  One problem with Copying the card is that new copy machines have a hard drive in them.  If the copier is scrapped and the drive is not destroyed, it has volumes of valuable information.  At work we always removed the hard drive before turning them over.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic