This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Padlock recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Padlock recommendations
    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 1:12pm
Looking for PADLOCK recommendations (keyed alike).
These locks are for pasture gates.  Keys will be for 7 gates.
Combination locks are not an option.
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 1:44pm
When I worked at Lowe's the pad locks had numbers on them and you could look and find the ones that matched to get them keeyed the same.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 1:55pm
So what you need is a paddock padlock?
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 5:05pm
Work orders Masterlock commercial grade from the local hardware store. They come 6 to a box all keyed the same. Takes 4-6 weeks usually to get them.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 6:08pm
Many of the commercial locks are keyed with a separate lock cylinder that can be master keyed and or set with a key that will open one lock but not the rest so access control can also be maintained . It's possible to have any number of locks keyed the same or each one different in a series with a master key to open all and also a control key to change lock cylinder . 
 Or the cheap Master Locks with the stamped looking key (not locks with brass lock cylinder) can be made to open with one key by grinding off all the protrusions on the key but the last ones at base - the key than works like a master key and will open any of the low cost locks .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 7:10am
I am still using a few Solid Brass body padlocks with a common master key, a friend has a single key to access one of the locks but will not open the others and not sure was actually necessary but at the time was unique.  Not many making of those still.

Common key matched sets or series are handy as one key Any of the locks, have done that for all my collective tool storage containers and fuel supplies.    Still have combination safes as do not trust the electronic wizardry safes.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:19am
I've had a local locksmith key new Master locks to match the key of locks I already had. He did this while I waited.  That allows you to have various size locks all to use the same key.

Edited by PaulB - 22 Sep 2020 at 10:20am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 11:41am
Several people around here use the type Coke talked about. Get them rekeyed every few years. But how much do you want to spend? Because with the battery power grinders and a cut off wheel $50(well I am assuming a harbor freight one work one time) and 2 minutes cuts any of them.

Locks only keep honest people honest and slow a thief down a bit.
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:14pm
I definitely recommend what the "Boss Man" says above.  I needed 5 locks back then and got 6.  (One for a spare).  That was at least 12 years ago.  Still all working out great for me.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 4:53pm
Must have a problem area if you need 7,  
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:03pm
Seven gates require seven locks.
 Not a problem area.  Mostly to keep out uninvited guests.  
Sometimes the local high school kids take their dates out to the pasture to pretend they are a bull and their date is a cow.  lol
Two weeks ago, someone ran into a barb wire gate.  I don't think the damage will buff out of their car.  I replaced that gate with a steel pipe gate.  Guess that person was either intoxicated or having his mind and hands somewhere other than the steering wheel.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:22am
Eliminated all but two Gap Gates of fence wire here to pipe tube gates, also did not set up hinges so could lift off are pointed to each other, have small chain but big enough to padlock if need be.  So far no issues to speak of where renter needs easy access in and out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic