This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ramp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ramp?
    Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 10:38pm
any of ya'll ever build a ramp up to your house? trying to decide whether i wanna puts in new steps or do a ramp. might be a slippery sucker to walk/clean on in winter. ramp would help my old dog up to the deck and also when we wanna move heavy stuff in/out on a cart. gimme sum ideas and also what to use for non slipping that will stand up to a scoup shovel.
Sponsored Links

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 2:22am

Hey Shameless,,,I have seen lots of people use the aluminum ramps that most delivery trucks use that are bout 20 feet long and bout 3 feet wide,,,There was one for sale on the Marketplace a couple of months ago but time I seen it ,,,it sold pretty quick,,they sold it for $30,,,!!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 2:32am
that's a good idea Joe...thanks...i'll look around for one of them!
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 5:53am
the aluminum 'jump' ramps from a car hauler work great..so great,some SOB stole them from me 22 years ago...not that I'm counting.....grrrrrrrr
if you build a ramp, make it 4 FEET wide, use 'sandy paint' for good grrrrrrip ! You NEED the width to NOT bash your knuckles when pusing fridges on dollies up the ramp...BTDT.
ANYTHING narrower, put two boxes of bandaids on the ramp, top and bottom !!!!

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:01am
How many steps high?
1:12 is max for an ADA ramp.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:05am
I'm thinking he might use a 'G' in magically bo-lo, so amp could be steeper !Wink
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 9:48am
i second the 4 ft width, especially if you have a 90 degree bend at the top or bottom... I built one on the back porch ( enclosed) of the neighbor... Actually built a semi circle out of it... you come out and turn 90 degrees, the  walk 10 ft, turn 180 degrees on a big arc, then walk down toward the back door... all in a room 12 x 18 .... and i had to FUDGE on the 12 :1 slope............ it is about 10:1, but works great..... used 2 x 4 frame and 3/4 plywood top..... being inside is nice.  porch is attached between garage and house.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 3:05pm
I had son build a ramp off back 3 high step 10' long .
Used it when wife came home from rehab place , next time it was used for her was by funeral director - I left it in place for 2 years but after slipping and falling on it one frosty morning I removed it , 
 Snow and ice clung to it and made it more dangerous than steps . 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:04pm
IMO, if a wheel chair is NOT in the near future, a staircase built so the RISE is around 5-6 inches is a lot safer than any ramp if snow/ice is a possibility Embarrassed.
If a ramp is what your leaning towards, I've seen painters put down paint/stain and throw sand onto the wet product for grip ??

Edited by FREEDGUY - 19 Sep 2020 at 6:08pm
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:05pm
Build it at least 4' wide and with st**dy hand rails plus use 5/4 deck boards or 2" pressure treated. Make sure everything is st**dy. Unfortunately lumber prices around here are out of sight now. HD sells a coating called Restore that is non-slip or you can use deck paint with sand in it. I always hated those ramps that were too narrow or too flimsy to get a stretcher down, especially if we had an "oversize" patient. Frost and ice is a lot worse for slipping that snow so BE CAREFUL!
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Build it at least 4' wide and with st**dy hand rails plus use 5/4 deck boards or 2" pressure treated. Make sure everything is st**dy. Unfortunately lumber prices around here are out of sight now. HD sells a coating called Restore that is non-slip or you can use deck paint with sand in it. I always hated those ramps that were too narrow or too flimsy to get a stretcher down, especially if we had an "oversize" patient. Frost and ice is a lot worse for slipping that snow so BE CAREFUL!

Now that you mention "width" of a staircase/ramp, how wide IS a stretcher ? Certainly they can get into/out of a 36" front door ??
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 12:03am
i was already thinking of 4 ft wide with hand rail. be quik and easy with 4x8 sheets of 3/4 in plywood. i know that putting sand in the stain or paint is good, but for only 1-2 scoup shovels work. it's only about a 3 short step rise. also thought about grain bin flooring, but if anyone would slip and fall on it, it would be like falling on razor blades. so that's out. then thought about putting lath across the area, afraid that would be a trip hazard. i better just build new steps, and make them deeper. thanks ya'll! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 7:50am
A stretcher is roughly 24 inches in width. If you have a 30" ramp that only gives 3" clearance on each side, unfortunately some patients exceed the 24" width. A 36" or 48" ramp gives more room to maneuver, especially if you have to make a turn.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 2:01pm
Is that run getting out of the way of that person that's wider than the 24" stretcher on wheels on the way down & out.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

Is that run getting out of the way of that person that's wider than the 24" stretcher on wheels on the way down & out.

Never had one get away from us but sometimes we had 6 responders keeping it steady.
weiner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:00am
I seen rolled roofing on a ramp once,  it sure did make it anti skid,  but don`t know how long it would last and of course it would collect ice and snow.
Real heros wear dogtags, not capes.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 9:56am
Brother was in a wheel chair for 25 years. Mom still has a ramp on the front of her house. Was gonna put one on my house but brother died. Now the old gal can't do steps. Gots 2 steps in front of the house. Gonna build one outta a 8' sheet of treated plywood and treated 2x4's someday. Ya they do get slick but the old potash in a bag stops that + its good for the dang weeds growing in the yard.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 11:24am
Maybe expanded metal for the deck of the ramp.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:47pm
Make it just wide enough to touch with fibgertips the opposite handrail and not get a grip on it.
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:27pm
i built a ramp for when my wife came home from the nursing home.   She's been gone almost 7 years now, and i still have the ramp instead of the 5 steps.  It has a plywood deck to it, and I put roll roofing down and it is just now needing replaced.   Yes, it does get slick, but with keeping it shoveled and plenty of salt, it works well.   Just have to be careful before the salt is down.   Mine is 4' wide (width of the plywood).   It sure made bringing the gun safe up much easier than if the stairs were here. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 11:10pm
rolled roofing is a good idea...thanks! i think i'll just build the steps instead...it's only 3, gonna make them a bit deeper than most are. the new ones i built for the other side of the deck are a 2x12 and a 2x6 in depth, gonna make them as one unit and fastened with metal braces screwed onto the side of the deck. i've already started the project. if i decide i will need a ramp later, i'll build one then, prolly 4x16 making the slope less. thanks for ya'lls inputs. 
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:11am
My farther-in-law lived with us for a while, and used a walker. He liked to play in my shop, and going out the back door it was 4 or 5 steps down and he dragged his walker up and down those steps. So I got an elevator for him to use, it worked quite well.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 8:37am
there ya go shameless... Get an elevator and teach the dog how to push the buttons ! 
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:52am
I had to put up a ramp for my dog last year. He had TPL surgery I used 2x4s plywood top covered with outdoor carpet roofing nailed to it. it was up all winter no problems just keep the snow shoveled off. took it down after his 6 months healing time a week later he jumped off the steps and hurt the other one was back in for surgery and the temp ramp was back up. the dog ramp is way to steep for a human wheel chair it would need to be 36' long to get it to 1/12 slope. two wheel dolly goes up it just fine. took evey thing out of my daughters room for painting and put in the shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic